Post Thanks / Like

Interior Protectant - Is it really needed ?

With the advances in the materials used on interior surfaces; Do you feel it is necessary to keep a protectant on the dash, door panels and other vinyl/plastic/leather surfaces ? Have they been proven to extend the life and color of these substrates? If so; What are some recommendations or preferences of the most durable protectants available ?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior Protectant - Is it really needed ?

Einszett (1-Z) Cockpit Premium...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

303 Protectant, Yeah I don`t believe most of these manufacturers care about a car much past 3 year 36,000 miles and what can get them there cheapest. I sure dont think they are picking the highest grade material and that it has to last 10 years 200k miles like I want mine to so I get good trade value.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO it`s situational. Some interiors have vulnerable materials and some don`t. Some environments and types of use are more severe than others.

E.g., people have had problems with the dye of their clothes transferring to seating surfaces; some steering wheels have degraded while the identical steering wheel, in other situations, didn`t (specifically Audi steering wheels- mine never have problems but when I sold a nearly-new A6 to a friend the steering wheel needed replaced due to flaking/peeling in no time).

I myself hardly ever use Protectants yet I don`t have problems. A few exceptions: I do use Leather Doctor`s Protectant on the S8 now and then, and I`ve used it on the A8 once or twice..nice stuff if you do want to protect your leather; I occasonally use Leather Master`s stuff on the *VERY* compromised front seats of the Tahoe and that`s arrested the degradation just fine (people predicted I`d have to replace the seatcovers ages ago but they`re still doing OK).

I honestly can`t remember the last time I`ve used a Protectant on vinyl though, IME today`s vinyl doesn`t seem to dry out/degrade the way such stuff used to back in the day, but again that`s just in *my* experience and YMMV.

Basically I just do quick wipe-clean work with Meguiar`s IQD or 1Z CP.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Einszett (1-Z) Cockpit Premium...
    I really like that stuff! I use it pretty often, but I sorta wonder how much protection it leaves behind.

Post Thanks / Like

1z
    poorobys world natural look/leather stuff

depends on mood
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    1z

depends on mood
    PB Natural look. Love that scent !!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will say 60% of the solution is the actual plastic used by the manufacturer. The remaining 20% is just how your store the car (in sun all the time, car shade) and the last 20% is using a protectant. These are just rough to give idea of importance.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I will say 60% of the solution is the actual plastic used by the manufacturer. The remaining 20% is just how your store the car (in sun all the time, car shade) and the last 20% is using a protectant. These are just rough to give idea of importance.
    ^^^I like this description. IME, protectants are quite important because of the actual vinyl/plastic used by manufacturers. I can tell the difference in quality in my current car vs. the one I used to have and the materials seem to be more sturdy in the older car. If you plan on having a car for a while, an interior protectant would serve you well. I had a 14-yr old car I traded in last fall and used protectant on the front vinyl, but didn`t do as much on the back. There was a noticeable difference in the feel of the surface--mainly hardened vinyl.

Personally, I have a black interior now and my vehicle is parked outside 24/7 (except for days when I can get a space in the deck at work). I have to put something on the car`s interior as it gets unbelievably hot during the warm months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    1z

depends on mood
    Does the Leather Stuff need to be diluted or can it be used same as the Natural Look.
    Until I get the two or three cars I do with leather seats...the bottle hasn`t been touched yet. would love to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never diluted Leather Stuff on my coated seats. Like most products, you apply using an applicator and then buff off. PB`s recommends buffing off with cotton. The big difference is it has a leather like scent.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I love the difference 303 makes, just wish it was more durable against where my skin touches. The window sill where I rest my elbow needs to be touched up after a couple weeks. The rest of the car still looks pristine

Thread Information