Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Top leather cleaner/conditioner picks for leather steering wheel in 2015 VW Golf.

Hello,

I`ve been reading reviews and posts on the many leather conditioners/cleaners and I`ve noticed that Leather Master and Pinnacle`s leather cleaner & conditioner get many nods - though I`ve also come across a number of apparently top-notch leather care products.

A few things I`d like to know :

* Can leather conditioners stain adjacent vinyl surfaces ?

* Like many, I like clean and matter looking leather - clearly, I don`t want anything shiny looking which strays from OEM look. Money is no object since leather can only be found on the steering wheel of my 2015 VW Golf.

What are the best of the best leather cleaners/conditioners out there ? You guys are welcome to share your experiences with various leather products.

Many thanks !

P.S. The care is merely a month old, so at this point I`m only looking at maintenance, but since maintenance is key, it`s best to get everything covered from the start.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top leather cleaner/conditioner picks for leather steering wheel in 2015 VW Golf.

I really like Adam`s. It gives a completely matte finish, has a high SPF (UV protection), and is safe on plastics and vinyl as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top leather cleaner/conditioner picks for leather steering wheel in 2015 VW Golf.

Do you both Adam`s cleaner and conditioner, or you`ve used Adam`s conditioner along with another brand`s cleaner ? Btw, thanks for your response - Adam`s has definitely received some pretty good reviews. I`ve checked and it`s something I can easily find in Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

Their cleaner is excellent and since your car is new, you`d be fine diluting it 1:1.
    Likes chip douglas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely, a Golf would have coated leather/vinyl (V-Tex leatherette) so conditioner is pointless. Get a good leather cleaner and then get a protectant. For leather cleaner I have been happy with CG Leather Cleaner. I usually dilute it 1:6 which makes it out to about $0.09 per ounce. For protectant, 303 Aerospace is great and I really like Blackfire Interior Protectant as well.

I wouldn`t use a protectant or conditioner on the steering wheel (saw your other post). Just clean it regularly to remove the sweat and dirt and you should be in good shape.

I just looked up "VW V-Tex leatherette" on Bing and all sorts of info is out there.
    Likes chip douglas, antidentite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

wdmaccord : do you think the 2015 Golf`s steering wheel is also made of V tex leatherette ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chip douglas View Post
    wdmaccord : do you think the 2015 Golf`s steering wheel is also made of V tex leatherette ?
    That would be my guess. A leather cleaner that is safe for all leather types is your best bet. I`ve used the CG Leather Cleaner on MB-Tex (Benz), BMW leatherette, Lexus, Honda, Mercury, Chevy, Nissan...great results with all of them. I`ve always used the 1:6 dilution even though they say you can use it straight. If something needs a little more cleaning power, I`ll switch my tool before increasing my concentrate on the cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a review on Blackfire interior products. All of them work very well.

Review - Blackfire Interior Products (Interior Cleaner, Interior Protectant, Leather Conditioner)

The term conditioner is very broad.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I just did a review on Blackfire interior products. All of them work very well.

Review - Blackfire Interior Products (Interior Cleaner, Interior Protectant, Leather Conditioner)

The term conditioner is very broad.
    I`ve been real happy with the interior protectant. Versatile as well. Todd Helme did a demo a while back showing how to create different looks with it depending on your preference. The bottle I got was a 32 oz. freebie and was like a lotion, so I dilute it 1:1 in a spray bottle.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m aware I`m derailing my own thread here, but wdmaccord, would you be so kind as to recommend a safe (for rims) tire cleaner ? One thing that`s crossed my mind is this : when you spray APC (or any dedicated tire cleaner), some of it is bound to land on rims. Are so APC or dedicated tire cleaners unsafe for rims ?

As far as my rims are concerned, I`m going to use P21S as it seems somewhat safer than Sonax FE. Sonax has rave reviews and I`m sure it`s a good product, but my VW Golf is only a month old, so the Sonax would be overkill. The last thin I want is for my rim OEM finish to fade.

I wanted to send you a pm, but thought asking it here would be just as good. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Leather Masters Rapid S Cleaner & Protection Cream are excellent. The protection cream can even be used on the steering wheel; I used it about 6 weeks ago on my Camry leather-wrapped steering wheel and it was perfect--left a matte finish and feel. The biggest "pro" to using LM is the ease of application. All you need is a sponge to apply both the cleaner and cream (unless the leather is dirty, then you can use a terry cloth), they spread easily and a little goes a long way.

I just picked up a bottle of 303 Protectant, but haven`t tried it out yet--but I hear it`s very good (same thing with CG`s Leather products). Pinnacle/BlackFire/DP also get great reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

The steering wheel is real leather, but coated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    The steering wheel is real leather, but coated.
    Does coated mean it`s aniline or semi-aniline ? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea (VW doesn`t publish what kind). Even though you aren`t dealing get with bare leather, most conditioners still clean and protect which is what you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn`t matter what type, if it is coated, you are just cleaning the coating not the actual material underneathe.

For rims, I have been using the DUB wheel cleaner (Advance Auto) which is similar to SONAX at a much better price point. Even though your wheels are new, use something like that anyway for the first good cleaning. Then you can clay and seal. Once I have sealed my wheels, I use my regular carwash soap (Duragloss 901) diluted 1:32 in a spraybottle to clean my wheels in regular maintenance washes. Hope this helps. Then I use the DUB everytime I am going to re-seal them. Even though DUB is a lot cheaper, I have gotten great results with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information