Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I recently started to put my resume/cover letter together in an effort to begin my career mid-2006. I have never actually put one together until now, which is why I am looking for constructive criticism here. I have conducted successful research on the topic and feel more informed than when I began.

If there is anyone with some time and experience in resumes/resume writing, please feel free to take a look at mine and offer advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

And unfortunately, I will NOT be able to compensate anyone for their successful critiquing if it lands me a well-paying job.

Oh, and I am not worried about the appearance of it (unless there is something very wrong with it), but I am concerned about the content. I chose a functional resume because I do not have much experience in the field, but my education is where I feel I hold an edge. TIA.
    Mike-

1998 Silvermist-Mirrored GTP Coupe

Mods

Post Thanks / Like
    In general it looks pretty good. I think there are a few points you might be selling yourself short on. (not knowing you or your job that well...)

o Main telephone contact with customers and employees, answering routine inquiries and complaints. Directed complex issues to the appropriate person or department.

Maybe change to something like...

Primary contact for a diverse group of customers and employees. Duties included troubleshooting complex situations and directing the proper resources to correct problems. Also utilized my training and resources to analyze specific situations and ensure that the customer and employee needs were met or exceeded.

Another section was...

o Assisted management in all aspects, including operation and supervision of the Front-End Department.

Could be...

Worked in conjunction with the leadership team to... not sure what you did but maybe... report generating, performance measures, department goals, etc... be creative. Using the term "leadership team" is a better way to say "management".

Boring!!!....

o Reconciled cash register transactions. Deposited and transferred daily cash receipts. General bookkeeping of daily receipts also performed.

Nothing is "general", everything is complex and important. Sounds liek you balanced a checkbook, took a nap, then looked at some reciepts. Punch it up.

Completed daily tasks analyzxing sales data including cashflow both in and out of the operation. Utilized my training and resources to maximize potential and ensure that the accounting records were kept up to national standards per our operating procedure.

(ok, that might be a little much, but you get my drift... )

Utilize buzzwords like teamwork, process planning, performance management, etc... Since it`s an HR job they will be looking for both leaders and team players.

I like to use the phrase... · "Working in a team environment towards a common goal of exceeding customer expectations. " I use that in mine.

I also used... "· Utilized performance management to lead a diverse workforce to achieve consistent results"

Just punch it up a bit, and remember that nothing is easy, general, daily, typical!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chpsk8
    In general it looks pretty good. I think there are a few points you might be selling yourself short on. (not knowing you or your job that well...)

o Main telephone contact with customers and employees, answering routine inquiries and complaints. Directed complex issues to the appropriate person or department.

Maybe change to something like...

Primary contact for a diverse group of customers and employees. Duties included troubleshooting complex situations and directing the proper resources to correct problems. Also utilized my training and resources to analyze specific situations and ensure that the customer and employee needs were met or exceeded.

Another section was...

o Assisted management in all aspects, including operation and supervision of the Front-End Department.

Could be...

Worked in conjunction with the leadership team to... not sure what you did but maybe... report generating, performance measures, department goals, etc... be creative. Using the term "leadership team" is a better way to say "management".

Boring!!!....

o Reconciled cash register transactions. Deposited and transferred daily cash receipts. General bookkeeping of daily receipts also performed.

Nothing is "general", everything is complex and important. Sounds liek you balanced a checkbook, took a nap, then looked at some reciepts. Punch it up.

Completed daily tasks analyzxing sales data including cashflow both in and out of the operation. Utilized my training and resources to maximize potential and ensure that the accounting records were kept up to national standards per our operating procedure.

(ok, that might be a little much, but you get my drift... )

Utilize buzzwords like teamwork, process planning, performance management, etc... Since it`s an HR job they will be looking for both leaders and team players.

I like to use the phrase... · "Working in a team environment towards a common goal of exceeding customer expectations. " I use that in mine.

I also used... "· Utilized performance management to lead a diverse workforce to achieve consistent results"

Just punch it up a bit, and remember that nothing is easy, general, daily, typical!

:werd: I agree wholeheartedly with "punching" it up a bit. Using buzzwords will help that. The key to any resume is to make yourself stand out above other candidates but be as concise as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    There might be a culture difference here in the UK but buzzwords generally concern me unless they indicate a specific issue or are used as a shorthand. For example, performance management is often used in very different situations, are we talking about strategy or an individuals performance. Is process planning, manpower planning or something else.

There are lots of organisations who will respond very well to a very positive CV whilst it could just as easily turn off other firms.

My advice for starting out in HR is find somewhere which will allow you to `cut your teeth` on some hard issues ie dealing or negotiating with Unions, redundancies, dismissals etc. Industrial or manufacturing is a great place to start - you will be exposed very quickly to a lot of problems which will allow you to gain a lot of experience in a short period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buzzwords in the US are like meat on the table. People eat that stuff up here. Punching it up with industry keaywords is almost mandatory.

In my area HR people are very scarce. We blow through them like crazy. It`s not particularly easy to get hired on, but once you do people seem to fast track around the company never staying put for more than a year. You still need to be skilled, but once in the door, you`re golden.

Thread Information