Post Thanks / Like
    My wife has an Intrepid with a front door speaker that is blown. The factory system is an Infinity, it has a sub, and seperate tweeters on the front door.

Its been a long long time sinse i have fiddled with any speakers, but looking at online sources for replacements i am confused.

Does the car have component speakers?? Is that why the tweeters are up higher on a seperate mount?

If so, should i buy a component speaker pair, and what do i do about this crossover nonsense? Or do i buy "regular" speaker?

Its the 6 1/2 inch one that is blown, so what is the best way to replace the door speakers? Just the 2 6 1/2 or the all 4 on the 2 doors?

Car audio is way more complicated than it was 15 years ago eeerrr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you have an component speaker setup. Replace what ever is broken, but if you replace with a different brand then you have two options, go with another component setup or just some coxial setup. Usually if you stay within the same brand/model your basically ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can i simply replace the tweeter and the big speaker without messing with the crossover ?

The car should have a crossover in it already im assuming ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you could, but the whole deal of getting a componet setup is you can fine tune it. Like I said, if you get the exact same speaker replacement, you should not have to deal with the crossover. Beside`s, if you can`t hear a difference, then don`t bother with the crossover.

Post Thanks / Like
    A good place to try / call is Crutchfield. They have a very knowledgable staff and should be able to answer any questions you may have.

Post Thanks / Like
    At least you can go aftermarket for speakers. I have Bose and there are not too many aftermarket 6 x 8 and 6 x 9 1 ohm speakers. I changed the HU (massive improvement) but better speakers mean buying a new amp (or amps) too. Ugh.

You might want to look into some Infinity Kappa components to replace the bad ones, plus the other side (since you can only purchase them in pairs) and you should get noticably better sound.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help fellas, i have crutchfields on my saved fav., maybe i will call them to make it simpler.

Thread Information