Post Thanks / Like
    I was outside a little while ago, and I heard what I thought at first was a light plane, then a leaf blower in the distance, then it was overhead and it was a small plane, twin rear engines with pusher props, T-tail, long thin fuselage with a small canard at the front. Kind of like a Beech Starship layout but this definitely had a vertical tail with a horizontal surface (I think, went over fast), and the canard was smaller than the Starship--plus no turbine noise.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    It was probably a homebuilt , experimental aircraft. I checked out Rutan Aircraft and Scaled Composites website to see if it was one of theirs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could have been one of these? A buddy of mine left our company to work for a fractional ownership operation using these. Its kind of like a time share for airplanes. Looks futuristic but its really nothing spectacular, it has a hard time competing with 20 year old designs

Does look cool though
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Another view, forgot to mention the name, Piaggio Avanti
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...that was probably it...I figured you would know the answer, FalconGuy! The frac thing, is it out of Morristown?

EDIT: The weird thing about this craft that I saw today, which flew almost directly overhead, and I was between tall trees, so I didn`t really get a long look at it, was that it didn`t seem to have a pointy nose like in those pics...it seemed squared off like an F100, if anybody remembers them. Unless I was just hypnotized by the canard and didn`t notice the point

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    The frac thing, is it out of Morristown?

My radar detector goes haywire there. But it`s the BEST spot for racing just when you pass the Cadillac dealer on the left where the cops sit. You can gun it down the two lane highway there. We used to do it every weekend. I remember when I first got my license I pinned my Dad`s 1992 Saab 9000 going against my friend`s Dad`s first year Infiniti G20 (1991 I believe).

Ahh, to be in high school again. Too bad they stuck a traffic light there now.

Sorry to go off topic Setec, but you brought back memories! I figued Falcon Guy would chime in too!
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its fairily obviouse what you saw, it was aliens! Duh! LOL
    1970 Camaro RS
    2013 Optima SX
    2005 Escalade Platinum
    2000 Integra GSR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    My radar detector goes haywire there. But it`s the BEST spot for racing just when you pass the Cadillac dealer on the left where the cops sit. You can gun it down the two lane highway there. We used to do it every weekend. I remember when I first got my license I pinned my Dad`s 1992 Saab 9000 going against my friend`s Dad`s first year Infiniti G20 (1991 I believe).

Ahh, to be in high school again. Too bad they stuck a traffic light there now.

Sorry to go off topic Setec, but you brought back memories! I figued Falcon Guy would chime in too!
    Did you know that your radar detector goes crazy probably because of what the cops put there. Dont know if its 100% true, but I have heard that cops use radar detector scramblers. IMO its true, because in my town the same thing happens where most people usually speed and there`s usually a cop there. But I dont know maybe its something else.
    1970 Camaro RS
    2013 Optima SX
    2005 Escalade Platinum
    2000 Integra GSR

Post Thanks / Like
    Those Avanti`s are based out of Essex County (Caldwell Aiport) I think the main draw is that you can use a very small field and wont have to commute to the larger airports.

They are also based at about 10 other airports nationwide, the idea is to be able to get one to you in a few hours, since its a timeshare you dont own a particular one you just have a preset amount of time on any aircraft, that means you should see the interiors, what a mess. At least with the planes im with the owner has a vested interest in keeping it imaculate. Since these guys may never see the same plane twice they dont care......

I told my friend he is nuts, they wont last, they never do.

Most autotopians would drool over how well kept the corporate aviation fleet I work with is maintained.

About that radar, sometimes its the ILS (instrument landing syetem) but a lot of state DOT`s use radar signals to monitor the flow of traffic to spot tie ups and accidents. Its not used for speed enforcement but it does give lightly patroled areas live feedback to some central location of the current roads average speed. I know they have several of them on RT 80, one near Rockaway and one near the RT 80/280 Split. If you look closely you can see them, look like flat panels under an overpass, almost like a small cell antenna.

Post Thanks / Like
    HAHAHAHA I saw one of those about a month ago while I was washing my car and had the exact same post on a local forum. The funny thing was I watched a clip on them about a week before seeing the plane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontman43
    Did you know that your radar detector goes crazy probably because of what the cops put there.

I think it`s intereference from the little airport there.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconGuy
    Those Avanti`s are based out of Essex County (Caldwell Aiport)

About that radar...a lot of state DOT`s use radar signals...I know they have several of them on RT 80..

Essex County Airport is certainly close enough to me, maybe slightly further than Morristown, but that makes sense.

My radar detector always goes off when I`m going north on 287 at the intersection with 80. Years ago, I had an appointment in CT that I was late for, and was driving north on 95 in CT...and I kept jamming on the brakes cuz my detector kept going off. After a while I realized it was always at bridges and then could see the little antennae...it still was an exhausting trip, worrying if the next alert was real or Memorex...

Post Thanks / Like
    This wont win me any points with fellow drivers but...... I built a small kit radar transmitter years ago, I still have it in my car. It broadcasts an Xband frequency using a toggle switch and a 9 volt battery. I sometimes use it to annoy other people on long drives. On my way to Florida from NJ it provides lots of amusement, sure keeps the trucks off your butt. Sometimes no one passes me for 20 miles...

Once I was driving from PA on RT 80 and was kind of shadowing a guy in a Saab with a Valentine One radar detector, real big arrows easy for me to see since we were side by side. I would let him getup to 80 MPH and then hit my switch, over and over. This went on for damn near the length of my trip. I needed gas and pulled off, to my surprise he followed me, he was also getting gas. As I stood there I was dying to ask him how that V1 works..... I just knew I wouldnt be able to keep a straight face so I didn`t.

You never know is all im saying. I rarely use it anymore, too many close calls. Some people really over react to a radar signal.

If anyone wants info on the kit just email me, I think its around 50 bucks built, about the size of a deck of cards.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Airplane Guys--What Did I Just See?

Ha, I just saw this airplane again, it really has an unusual engine noise, which is what made me look up to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Airplane Guys--What Did I Just See?

If it`s the same one, at least it hasn`t killed its owner yet

EDIT: Don`t like how I phrased that, as I don`t like blaming the machinery...

Thread Information