Thread: Tire Pressure ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys,

Leaving on vacation in the morning, all tires are 32 psi from the dealer, door says to run 30 in the front and 35 in the rear. Which one do I do?

TIA

Mark
    K3500 Silverado Dually
    White, 454, 4x4, 52000 miles,
    Loaded.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`d go by the door sticker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Set them to what ever you want. Try 50 psi.

On second thought, maybe just stick to the 32/32.
    Carvista Inc. - Asper School of Business

Post Thanks / Like
    You definitely go with the door sticker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the vehicle too. On trucks, I think the pressure settings are for a load in the bed. For years I ran mine at 30/32, and now the tread in the middle of my tires is worn away more than the sides. Of course, I also have non-oem tire size, so that may account (or not?).

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think you can go wrong with 32/32. It seems to be a standard that has held up for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would guess the reason the dealer set the pressures to that level is not because it is the best setting but it was probably a guess by someone with an air-line. A 3 PSI difference is not significant and would not pose an threats to the wheels. There might be a slightly change in the way the car handles in extreme conditions ie racetrack but sticking to the recommended pressures is normally a good idea, assuming you are using standard (OE) wheels and tyres

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up a nail in my rear tire and had to go to a tire store for a repair. This place only sells and services tires and is highly regarded for their many many years of expertise. I always run my tires at 32/32 but when i asked the technician what he left them at he said 32 front/35 rear. He said it is a lot better for carrying load ( stuff in the trunk, people in the back seat ) and won`t hurt the car at all. He then said to bring the front up to 35 in the winter, colder months. (35/35).

This was just last Thursday and i thought i would share it with you.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of opinions and preferences. The car manufacturers use the tire pressure as a part of the suspension to keep the ride cushy, so recommend lower pressures. The tire manufacturers give you the safe cool tire pressure limits on the tire; don`t exceed that. If the car is aligned properly and the tires balanced, the tires should wear evenly. If you are running too low a pressure, you`ll see wear on the inside and outside of the tread. If you are running too high a pressure, you`ll see center tread wear. Higher pressures give you better fuel milage. And most cars have a "highway recommended pressure" several lbs higher since you`ll be driving on a relative smoother surface than the day to day surfaces most of us drive on. The highway partol officers usually run around 40 lbs for handling purposes. You need to consider the car weight as well. We run Michelin Sport Pilots on our LS430 and Buick Reatta and run about 37 lbs all around with good even tire wear. But both cars weigh in at 3800 to 4200 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HRP
    Lots of opinions and preferences...

Yeah, just depends on the vehicle and the load. I`d go by how the vehicle handles and how the tires wear. But one trip at a certain pressure isn`t gonna make a huge difference. Better too high than too low; I`d probably go 35 in all four if I were in your shoes and see how it goes. If you drive through something that sticks to the tires you can see how well they`re contacting the roadway (if they`re way overinflated you won`t have the stuff on the outer portion of the tread).

The highway partol officers usually run around 40 lbs for handling purposes..

That "40-square" (40 psi cold in all four) is a time-honored guesstimate for good handling with "normal size" tires (not ultra low profile). That`s what many "run what you brung" driving schools tell you to use. FWIW, I use "42 square" in the Audis for highway travel with lots of luggage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would stick with the door jams, maybe a touch more.

Make sure you test the tires with an accurate gauge (I like my Accutire guage available at Target) while the tires are cold (haven`t been driven over a mile in an hour).

Thread Information