Post Thanks / Like
    Recently I`ve been searching for a high-end digital camera, namely the Canon Digital Rebel XT. I see these in stores for about 1k, but after searching on Amazon.com, I`ve seen many below that price. In fact, I saw a brand new one for $500 here (scroll down a bit)

Should I think about buying from the dealer who has it for $500 or is it a scam waiting to happen? I haven`t had any experience from Amazon, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that you have fraud protection whenever you buy through Amazon`s marketplace. The only risk is that it might have "fallen off the truck" if you know what I mean. If the possibility of it having been stolen (full trucks go missing from time to time, not quite ala fast and the furious, but it does happen) doesn`t bother you, order it. Hell, I`m tempted at that price. But, I`ve been know to buy a few dubious items in my day, FWIW.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like Amazon...which started when I was looking for a VHS of an old movie....and instead of telling me it was out of print...they just fed me to an Amazon page that was selling used ones (through private parties, I guess). I was looking for a new one and they didn`t say "that title is out of print, but click here to go to our "ebay" area"...they just sent me there, and...I didn`t like it. I don`t trust them anymore as far as I can throw them. Plus they bought CDNow and screwed it all up. /rant

Post Thanks / Like
    The $500 price seems very fishy to me. I would try the comparison shopping sites like pricegrabber.com and shopping.com to find a good deal. I did a search at both and shopping.com has it listed at Profeel, Butterfly Photo and Beach Camera for about $837. A purchase this big, I`d go with a quality retailer that I could return it easily if something wasn`t right. Also purchase with a CC, and if anything weird comes up later, you can reverse the charges on your CC if they try to jack you around or won`t honor agreements. That might sound harsh, but you do what`s needed to protect your money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry this thread got me interested, I just checked again at one of my favorite deal sites (fatwallet.com) and someone posted this. $649 at Butterfly Photo. Whichever I hope you get a good deal on your camera!

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/p...spx?sku=REBELD

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Kpounds, thank you for doing that bit of research! Butterfly photo looks like a pretty legit site. I`ll surely look into buying from them. I`m still mulling over wether or not to purchase this as my parents just bought a Pentax 5.0 megapixel point and shoot. I feel like it`s poorly made and the pictures it takes aren`t too stellar. Plus, I`d have to hunt it down every time I want to take pictures. For now I`m deciding if jumping to a camera like the XT is smart for me at this particular time.

Thanks again everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Rebel 300d which is 6.3 MP...that is the one shown on ButterFly photo link.

Very good camera..The one on Amazon may be a gray market camera..meaning it was meant for export and will not have a US warranty. That one is a 8 MP camera the next version up from the one on Butterfly photo..Its the newer model, which is the Rebel XT

Best bet is to contact the seller and ask if it has a US warranty..if so ..THATS A GREAT PRICE

Here is a site that will help you out..visit the forum also

http://www.dpreview.com/

If can be any help let me know

AL
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like
    Nearly all the sites you see selling electronics for super cheap near NYC are crooked. There`s a good chance it`s grey market and there is a nearly 100% chance that they will call you up after you order trying to get you to buy various overpriced accesories. If you survive the constant harrasment and steadfastly refuse any extras, then they will usually cancel your order. Go with a place with a good reputation and enjoy your new camera!
    `86 Porsche 951 garnet red metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have the Rebel Digital (not the XT) and have been told that the pictures are equivalent to 35mm. The newer version is only if you want SUPER high res pictures.

I don`t know how true it is, just what I have been told!!
    2004 Lexus LS 430 Ultra Lux Crystal White/Ivory

2005 Lexus RX 330 AWD, NAV, ML, DVD Crystal White/Ivory

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT, Laser Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Porkanbeans, you might want to check out Butterfly Photo`s rating at resellerratings.com Some seem to be happy with them, others not. The dissatisfieds mostly sound like cancelled orders, but I didn`t read all the user reviews. Just a heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was researching buying a digital camera I found the best prices in places I had never heard of. When I looked further into it they were from overseas with no warranty just like our brother Autopians are telling you. They also remove accessories from the box and try to sell them to you. I bought a Olympus C-450 from CDW who happpened to have a good price. They are a large company in Chicago. But the shady websites were all taking the batteries and remote out of the box and selling them to you for extra. If I had not done checking at Olympus`s website I would have not known what came free with the camera. Good luck, Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexuslvr
    I also have the Rebel Digital (not the XT) and have been told that the pictures are equivalent to 35mm. The newer version is only if you want SUPER high res pictures.

I don`t know how true it is, just what I have been told!!

Not if you are speaking in term of resolution. Feature-wise they are pretty close but film is still far and away the highest resolution.

Post Thanks / Like
    If i were buying the camera i would only deal with b and h camera out of new york. Just looked up the price there and it was 899.00 hope this helps.

Thread Information