Post Thanks / Like
    I have been wanting to learn to play the guitar for a long time so I figured what the heck why not learn. I basically will try and teach myself but I know nothing about guitar brands. I was scoping things out on E-bay but there is about 20,000 or more listings. Alot of guitars (Brand new) start out for just a few dollars. I don`t understand this, I wonder how the quality really is. I don`t want a highly expensive guitar to start with so can anyone provide any knowledge on a decent brand Guitar and what I should pay for it? Also can you recommend any good sites that deal with learning to play the guitar and such?

I am looking for an Acoustic possibly even an electric Acoustic. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best to start off with an Acoustic. Look into the Applause if they still make it, it`s inexpensive and the action is low, so you won`t hurt those fingers too much, LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the best place to start would be a local guitar shop. They can help you choose something that will play decently. If you get a cheap guitar that is hard to play to start, then you may get frustrated and give up. My mom bought one of those "Esteaban" guitars for my dad from QVC (or wherever) and that thing played like a dog. I`m not the world`s greatest player, but I`ve played for 20 some years and could barely play that thing. I would hate to get that as a first guitar -- I doubt I would stay with it for a week.

Priced comparably, a cheap electric will play easier than a cheap acoustic, so I`d recommend an electric to start.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been playing for about 8 years now. Starting with an acoustic (as I did) will help train your fingers so when you make a jump to electric, it will be very easy to play. I prefer acoustic as I predominantly play bluegrass, country, and fingerstyle stuff. My first "real" acoustic was a Taylor 314. Taylors have a shallower neck compared to other acoustics and the action is set up pretty low from the factory. The build quality is second to none. They have two entry level guitars out now. The 110 is what I`d recommend. http://taylorguitars.com/guitars/model.aspx?model=110 It may be a bit above your price range (avg. price is about $550). Taylor also has the "baby" line. There is a "big baby" that is around $400, and it`s a regular dreadnaught size guitar. You could find either used on eBay to fit them into your budget. If you can, go for these. You will be so amazed by how well the guitar feels, sounds, and is made. If you do buy on eBay, do yourself a favor and make sure the one you buy is from a reputable seller and the photos are of the actual guitar, not the stock company photos. I got screwed by bidding on an auction like that.

Also, a very important aspect of playing the guitar (especially starting out) is to have an experienced, personable instructor. I know you want to teach yourself, but it is not an easy task. You`ll have to be extremely motivated to make it on your own. I stress this because once you get good at it, playing the guitar is very rewarding and enjoyable. It`s a good, clean hobby. There is nothing more exciting when you`re an avid guitarist than strolling through your local high-end guitar shop and picking out your next guitar. And trust me, detailing will pay for a high end guitar in time.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a friend give me a beautiful Martin accoustic guitar because I said I wanted to learn to play. That was 2 years ago and I still have not learned to play.
    2004 Lexus LS 430 Ultra Lux Crystal White/Ivory

2005 Lexus RX 330 AWD, NAV, ML, DVD Crystal White/Ivory

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT, Laser Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Some people are lifetime students.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Do you advise on learning to play a 6 or 12 string guitar? I`m thinking a 6 ??

Thread Information