Post Thanks / Like
    Bad news: I quit my job today. I really liked it, too.

Good news: I already got two phone calls. It`s nice to be regarded as the best in the business.

Short version: I had my pay cut 17% on Jan 1st to help pay for a new team member, with the opportunity to make it back up if we sold more cars because we got an extra guy. On March 16th, when I got back from vacation, I had a meeting and it was agreed that my pay would be restored to its previous level (the guy who I had to give the 17% to quit, he couldn`t stand the pressure).

When this month`s check came, it was at the lower %. When I asked about it I was told that the new % started April 1st... when it was clear on March 16th that the new level was immediate. I was supposed to get half the month at the old level and half the month at the new level.

I quetioned it and was told that if I was unhappy, I could leave. So I did.

Tom

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I must say I give you props for standing up for yourself. :xyxthumbs

I wish you luck in finding another job that you like and hopefully won`t get pushed around in. Two calls in the same day looks like you definately have some choices :up

Post Thanks / Like
    You could definately have a nice career in detailing if you`d like .

2 calls from other car dealers? I know you`re a writer too...how about writing for a paper?

Just throwing things out there .

Good Luck Tom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn...who runs that dealership a bunch of chimps? I get a good laugh when people let great salespeople go over what is piddly bits of money to them compared to what the salespeople have made and will make for them over the long term.

Go get em, bring em to their knees. Talk to some of your friends and see if you can do a mass movement to a new dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, so you know... I started there Nov 11th, 1991.

I`ve built a life and I`m in the middle of raising a family based on our relationship over the last 14 1/2 years.

GSRStilez, I couldn`t take the pay cut. Without stating numbers, F&I pays pretty well, and newspaper reporting at the local level is hideously low paying. Mrs Mosca works 2 days a week. I have 2 car payments, a mortgage, a daughter starting Catholic high school next year, I pay for my own AFLAC, and now I have to pay for my own health insurance until I get rehired and through the 60 day period. I was up all night last night worrying. We have a decent reserve built up, but it hurts to cash that in, even though that`s what it is for.

I`m not in good enough health to start a detail business. I have coronary artery disease (quadruple bypass when I was 37 years old), I`m diabetic, I have cervical stenosis, and recurring kidney stones (about every 6 months). There`s other stuff I have that I don`t even remember.

But here`s a picture of me doing what I love best, helping a friend bring the finish on his car to its maximum potential:

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, thats a great pic!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m happy to see you stood your ground. In a few months when the competition has hired you the management at your old dealership is going to kicking themselves for losing you.

Good luck!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Good for you for standing your ground & best of luck in your search for a new place to stand!!

I hope you`re able to find the "right" job quickly!

Norah

Post Thanks / Like
    WTG Tom for making a tough but correct decision.

That picture is great! A happy man working hard to help out someone else...those kinds of acts will be returned you know :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mosca- It`s their loss, IMO. Hope you get situated someplace where they appreciate you. You certainly deserve a big :xyxthumbs for standing your ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

Mosca- It`s their loss, IMO. Hope you get situated someplace where they appreciate you. You certainly deserve a big :xyxthumbs for standing your ground.

I second this! I cannot stand when people get bullied by "The man" at work .

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s absolutely amazing how some great business relationships are blown over small amounts of money. You were a team player and took a pay cut ( personally, I would have told them to stick it where the sun doesn`t shine) and they took advantage of you.

I hope you find a great postion at a competitor!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, you did what most of us have thought about doing at one time or another. The difference is you had the guts to stand up and do it. Loyality in the workplace toward employees often seems to be a thing of the past.

One thing I have learned over the years is when you`re good at what you do, other doors will open. Hang in there, be proud for standing up for what was right, and I`m sure you`ll be working again very soon. And keep those great product reviews coming; it`s good to see you back!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, today I was home doing the taxes (I`m off on Fridays), and I got invited to lunch. I took a little time, had some laughs, heard some interesting stuff, and shook a couple hands.

BTW, I didn`t just walk out, because that would really screw with the salespeople and the other managers` money; they need time to get someone else in, so I`m working to the end of the month. 1) I leave with pride on MY terms. 2) They get to know that. 3) I get a paycheck for April. 4) I don`t burn any bridges; if a year from now they want me back, and it`s right for me, then we can talk and not have any lingering issues.

So I got the tax envelope in the mail with 2 minutes and 45 seconds to spare. I have to work on my timing a little bit better.

Tom

Thread Information