Post Thanks / Like

Liz and I got a puppy!!!

Buckley James the Beagle

We have been talking about getting a dog for a few months now. For the past few weeks, she has really been pushing it. The day after my birthday (November 27th), we went down to look and after about an hour and a half with him, we ended up picking him up. It worked out that I bought it for Liz as an early Christmas gift. At the same time, my brother and his girlfriend picked up a Puggle (Pug/Beagle mix).

He has all of his shots except the rabbies vaccination, so as of now we are keeping him house trained until we can bring him outside. He`s 12 weeks old now and has 4 weeks until the shots and walking time

We have introduced him to our kitty and they are doing very well together. During the day when we are out and at night while sleeping, he stays in the kitchen to keep him out of trouble and just in case he makes an accident. When we come home, we let him out so we can continue training/disciplining and playing with him.

We have taken some pointers from my parents about disciplining him and pretty much have taken that consistency is key. Be stern verbally while in the act of a "no-no" situation. Only keep the food out for 20 minutes so that he learns to eat when the designated time is. Any other quick pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics

He loves to play

:wavey

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liz and I got a puppy!!!

He`s a cutie Sean....just hold off on the kids for now
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like

Awww... beagles are fine dogs. Thanks for sharing him with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSRstilez
    Any other quick pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Yes, return it.

Sean,
    First, congrats on picking up a dog.
    Second, what is the return policy at the pound or store?
    Is the Beagle a pure breed?
    Beagles like to do five things: 1) Eat 2) Sleep 3) Hunt 4) Bark at anything that moves or makes noice 5) Repeat steps 1, 2, 3 and 4.
    Beagles are an easy going breed, but do not listen very well, can be difficult to train, not really an apartment dog and need lots of attention. When you do take your beagle outside besure to use leash as beagles like to run and follow their nose.

Good Luck

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like

congrats! just remember to bring him to obidence training, beagles have tons of energy and enjoy jumping
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like

forgot to mention, when hes teething, put your detail stuff away........... dont want to see him biting on some clay or other goodies
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like

Cute Mutt!!!

J/K congrats on your first "child". I am sure you will make a great Daddy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone

We already know about the nawing tendencies. We have gotten him plenty of toys to play with and chew on...The one that is his favorite is a soft plastic ring with the spikes sticking out of it...I think it helps with his new teeth coming in.

Yeah, he`s a pure bred and was bred by a hunter. He loves to pick up anything he can and move it around. Luckily he`s not a barker, yet...We`ve had him since Saturday and he`s come in contact with a lot of things...He hasn`t barked once...He wimpered a little bit this morning when he heard us get up, but that was it. So far he is a joy to have, just a lot of work cleaning up after him and making sure he has his pills.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m sure she appreciated your early gift. He looks like a lot of fun.
    "Life isnt like a bowl of cherries or peaches....its more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow!"

Post Thanks / Like

He`s a cute little guy! We got our puppy when he was six months old and 42 pounds. THey said he was done growing, but at just over two years old, he`s grown to 77 pounds and is pretty lean. He`ll top 80 lbs once he fills out.

Your beagle would be a chew toy.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    He`s a cute little guy! We got our puppy when he was six months old and 42 pounds. THey said he was done growing, but at just over two years old, he`s grown to 77 pounds and is pretty lean. He`ll top 80 lbs once he fills out.

Your beagle would be a chew toy.
    Can I have my hand back?

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations and good luck with the dog Sean. It`s extremely cute, but as I told my cousin in the summer when he got his spinone all puppies are cute. I had a beagle for 14 years and just this September we had to put him to sleep. He lived one hell of a live, when he was a puppy our neighbors were having the house painted and he ate some of the paint cheaps which had lead in it. He`s been nicely put "brain dead" his entire life, but he still was a great dog. It`s funny cause he outlived all my relative`s dogs that were really pampered. My dad enjoyed hiking with him at the Delaware water gap and he managed to get lost in the woods a couple of times and made it through some of the most bitter winters for 7-8 days. That dog was a real dog. Sorry to babble though, again good luck with your new companion!

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

very nice beagle, my sister has a couple champion hunting dogs & she`s spoiled one of them into a housepet, sort of a dog-child.

Make sure he doesn`t lift a leg near your tires or you`ll be giving your tire dressing the ultimate test. My Mom`s old dog does this if I part in the driveway.

How long till we see Buckley James detailed? Perhaps a little FMJ on his nails and Lexol on the collar.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Thread Information