Thread: Need brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to get new brakes for my Accord. I just saw an ad in Pep Boys circular saying they now carry Hawk and EBC. What do you guys use OEM or after market? Also, do trust they big brake shops or do you have your own mechanic do them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Plenty of aftermarket brake pads (and rotors, too) are at least as good as OEM and are often better. I`d have your "regular" mechanics do these jobs. The "big brake places" aren`t gonna have the same personal relationship with you; you`ll just be one more "average customer" to them. And I`ve heard some real horror stories about both the quality and the cost of work at such places. Unless you have some kind of problem with your regular wrench, I`d take it to him. It`s not like there`s gonna be any specialized knowledge that the brake shops will have and he won`t (unless there`s something very wrong with your regular mechanic). Make sure he checks everything out while changing the pads (rotors, etc.- and how recently have you changed the brake fluid?). Brakes are too important to trust to people you know nothing about and some of the gouging that goes on at those chain places is incredible.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you say you need new brakes do you mean you need to upgrade the braking system?

Post Thanks / Like
    My *personal* preference on my daily drivers are to use OEM pads and a high quality aftermarket rotors to save money, like the machined pieces from NAPA.

Here`s a tip: I was told this by my local Honda dealership service dept. manager when I was buying new rotors and pads for my brother`s 2000 Civic Si.

He told me that even though I was buying new rotors they still needed to be lightly turned (cut), because Honda doesn`t send their new rotors *truely* round. He recommended only using an on-car lathe (spell?), which is a tool only better mechanic shops and dealers are going to have.

I ended up doing the brakes with a friend of mine that is an Infinity tech., and we did it at the Infinity dealer using their on-car machine. Let me tell you, I have never felt brakes so smooth in my life. It was downright awesome.

Here`s my suggestion: Always buy new rotors with OEM pads (if your rotors are like my brother`s, they should have a couple screws holding them onto the spindle, so be sure to either get new ones or make sure you have all the ones that are already supposed to be there) and find a shop that has an on-car lathe to get a *true* surface on the rotors.

I know this sounds a little extreme but you will thank me later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Honda brakes are pretty easy to do yourself. I subscribe to the other end of what JD says. Buy the factory rotors if you need them. They *should* come out of the box true as whenever you remove material from a Honda rotor, you have done it a disservice(shortened its life significantly)! Do get better pads! I have heard nothing but good about EBC pads. Take heed to their recommendation when it comes to choosing a street or performance pad as the performance pads *need* heat to stop effectively. I have done the brakes on all of my Honda products and just about all of my friends Honda`s also. Have any questions, please shoot them at me.

Chris
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been doing my own brakes for a few years now. I find it actually quite easy for discs, and your first drums will be a little time consuming, but after that, fairly easy too. Hardest part is adjusting them afterwards.

I`ve been using Axxis Metal Masters, a metallic brake pad. They`re usually rated high, and I have found them a bit cheaper than OEM pads. They cost me around $40 at a wholesale car parts place (just tell them you`re a consumer and you usually get a better price). Discs don`t take any special tools except for the anti-squeal gel (get a big tube).

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by zzyyzx

I`ve been using Axxis Metal Masters, a metallic brake pad. They`re usually rated high, and I have found them a bit cheaper than OEM pads. They cost me around $40 at a wholesale car parts place (just tell them you`re a consumer and you usually get a better price). Discs don`t take any special tools except for the anti-squeal gel (get a big tube).

I had the Metal Masters too, but the Raybestos Quiet Stop Plus Ceramic pads were even better and put out less dust.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen and have been told that breaks are easy to install I just don`t trust myself with such an important part of my car. All I`m looking to do is replace the pads. My rotors can probably be resurfaced so I`m not concerned about new rotors. My mechanic put on akebono`s (spelling) about a year and half ago and their squeeking already. My plan was just to get some OEM pads and have a local shop put them on. I would go to my mechanic but he just to far.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ceramic pads are OEM on Maxima SEs, so I just stick with ceramics.

As for rotors, I also stick with OEM.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Changing pads is not that difficult but if you are not comfortable doing the work yourself either pay someone or even better, get them to check your work. Very few mechanics will take the time to ensure everything is spotlessly clean and perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a Hayne, Chiltons or Honda shop manual for your car. Very worthwhile investment.

The brakes on my Accord required the removal of the wheel, one bolt on the caliper, which then swings out of the way. Remove old pads, insert new pads, use a C-clamp to push in the caliper piston the the caliper will fit over the new pads. Install bolt then the wheel and move to the other side. Took me about 5-10 minutes per side max.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, they are super easy to do and almost self explanatory just by looking at them.
    Triple Honda Owner

Thread Information