it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like

Digital Cameras??

I recently purchased a Nikon Cool Pix 3700 from Electronics Expo about a week ago. I got it for $177 after mir. They now have it in this weeks ad for $144 . Anyway my question for the digital cameras experts out there is, I have a small blue pixel on my lcd screen. It just appeared a couple days after I bought it. It doesn`t show up on my pictures its just on the screen. I took it to Electronics Expo and the guy said he`d normally be able to exchange it, but since I cut the upc and serial code out for the rebate, he couldn`t do anything. He told me to contact a Nikon dealer. Well I was reading through the book today, and noticed under: "Notes on the Monitor, the first bullet is "The monitor may contain a few pixels that are always lit or that do not light. This is a characterstic common to all TFT LCD monitors, and does not indicate a malfunction. Images recorded using the product will not be affected." Now im not sure if I want to go crazy calling Nikon and explaining the situation if its in the book. It just doesnt seem right for a brand new digital camera to have this kind of problem. Have others experienced this problem with pixels on their LCD monitors of their digital cameras?????
    TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like to me that you have the answer its something that the cam has
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    LCD`s get pixels that get stuck in either on or off - it happens. It sucks and I would not accept it, especially on a new camera. Take it back and ask for a price match to the current sale since you bought it less than a week ago. It looks like they have a 14 day defective product exchange, so go in there to exchange it, and inquire about price matching their current sale since you bought it last week.
    You have activated my special ability....

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tommorow im going to go up to the place and see if they can credit my credit card for the difference of price. Hopefully they won`t give me anyproblems. Concerning the camera, I just got of the phone with someone from Nikon. Took forever to find the number on the site, but lucky for me there open 24 hrs. The lady told me to take it back to the store, then when I told her I tried already, she said your only option is to send it to Nikon to get repaired. Kinda sucks, but its a brand new camera and even though its a little blue dot, it will always annoy me. Come to think about it, I guess thats why i`m on this detailing site:-p . Its hard being a perfectionist in a imperfect world.

Post Thanks / Like
    They can exchange it - they can keep the box and just swap out the camera with you.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well three weeks later, down $3.85 and still have a broken camera. Just got it back today and was playing around with it. Seemed ok then when I took it back out tonight noticed a now red, "burnt" pixel on the screen. So my question for you guys is are, "burnt" pixels very common??? If so what camera do you own??? I`m curious how common they are, the guy at Nikon said they were pretty rare, but I think thats really odd that I got 2 bad screens. I really don`t mind the dot, but i`m going to send it back anyway because of the problems with movie mode. I`m demanding they just send me a new one. Its ridiculous that I paid $144 for it and even though I wasn`t charged for the repair because its still under warranty they sent me an estimate of $134. Why they didn`t send me a new one from the beginning is a question to me. If they give me a hard time about receiving a new one, I guess i`ll politely ask for my money back and start looking at some Canon cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had three a nikon a pentax and a canon - never had a dead or burnt pixel - on Large LCD screens it is more common but only one or two - I have a 19" LCD on my computer and the maker (Planar) will exchange it including shipping if I get more than two dead pixels.

on a 1 - 2 inch screen it`s unacceptable (IMHO) - especially a new camera - my guess would be that it is 144 bucks because of a bad set of screens in that model that they won`t admit to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang Groe`s got all the goodies! How`s the detailing? Looking for a camera actually hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    My Minolta Dimage XT has the same thing. If I could do it again, I`d return the POS and get a better camera in the $400-450 range. It can`t focus on the sides of things, only in the center....which is why the left and right sides of my pictures are always blurry.

Post Thanks / Like
    woob - I have not done any since the zaino on the outside - tried a new product for the leather that I`ll post a review on here .

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just called Nikon and think I spoke with customer service, if it was they are really bad. I explained my situation for like the 3th time: being on hold for 15 mins isn`t fun, been cameraless for 3 weeks, got my camera back and it has the same exact problem, yada yada yada. I then tell her I just want a whole new camera. She says I have to send it back again and they`ll determine if I qualify for a new one. They were suppose to send me a pre-paid shipping label but I still have yet to get that through e-mail. So now you guessed it, i`m going to be cameraless for another 3 weeks. I`m really not happy with the customer service I received from Nikon and the quality of their products. For a company who prides themself as being the leader in optics and photography(recording from hold), they really weren`t to understanding and helpful.
    btw Groe, I got the camera for $244-$100 mir but Best buy and other retail stores have the same camera for $350-400.

Thread Information