Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How did everyone get started in detailing?

Just wondering how everyone got started in the detailing business or in the detailing supply business?
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I started out at a car wash detail shop that was local owned. That was during my senoir year of high school. I then moved to a car dealership, what a mistake. But I learned two total different aspects of detailing quiality and quianity. Since then I moved to a maintenance job for a school and detailing on the side in my garage. Now its been 8 years since the car was and a decent base of customers of my own and strongly growing every month I`m looking into starting my own business part- time since I`m the one with the health benefits and having a family. Hoping to make it a full time business in a few years though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can honestly thank Jngrbrdman for teaching me the ropes of detailing.

I started before that, but he really straightened out the products/procedures/special techniques that have made me grow in knowledge as well as in my business.

I use a lot of information learned in college from my business plan to run and market my business. It has seemed to work great so far

But once again, Thank you Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    clean4u,
    I`ve always been a fanatic about cleaning and detailing mine and my families cars. I`m 30 now and started over a year ago detailing professionally. Before that I worked for 8 years in the white collar world after graduating from college. I chose to starting detailing as a career because I was tired of corporate environments working 60+ hours a week investing my entire self to make money for others. I make a little less money now but am much happier in every aspect of my life. In the last year my wife and I have repaired our relationship, I`ve lost 35 pounds and am in great shape. And the best part is that I make my own rules. I do what I want, when I want! Life is great and I owe it all to my weird obsession with detailing.
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

Michigan Detailer TruckTechniques's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right out of high school, I worked for a Tidy Car (remember them) outlet near Detroit. I moved on to an Auto One store and got sucked into Corporate America shortly after that

I kept detailing my own vehicles as well as others my family owns.

I started seriously considering starting my own detailing biz last summer and have done just that this year. Big thanks to lots of research here on DC alone as well as a few other sources.
    Joe
    TruckTechniques.com in Michigan

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my first car, started maintaining it, and that was that. I didn`t start out not detailing and then decide to take care of my cars, it`s something I`ve done for every car I`ve owned. I honestly thought when you buy a car, that`s what you do. Now after doing it for many years, I`ve realized I`m in the 1%ers that clean their cars.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Thread Information