Post Thanks / Like

My adventures in Carbon Fiber

I`ve been trying to make something custom for this show I`m in on Friday. I screwed up a few times and then I screwed up again. Finally I have something respectable. I hate showing up to an event looking like I just rolled in off the street. So I made this cover for my license plate on the front. I can`t really remove the plate because I don`t have plugs for the holes and there is an ugly bracket thing. Anyway, I made this to cover the front plate and perhaps win some points. What do you think?

Its only one layer of carbon fiber, so you can kind of see through the fibers when there is light behind it. I used a polymer resin instead of the traditional acrylic resin. The polymer dries much harder and much glossier. Looks pretty nice though, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really cool to me! Great idea. Do you have to run front plates in your neck of the woods?
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that is pretty much a standard law everywhere. Cops are really tough on us around here. It doesn`t bother me too much. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I guess in TN it either isn`t a law or they don`t enforce it. I have never seen anyone here with a front plate.
    Word of Mouth Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks cool, but the joining seems little spaced apart. I like how NC doesn`t require it and radar detectors are allowed. Too bad I live in the one of the safest cities in the US, that means cops everywhere u look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    Hmmm, I guess in TN it either isn`t a law or they don`t enforce it. I have never seen anyone here with a front plate.
    That may be. You`d have to check your state motor vehicle code to know for sure. I just did some research and see that the front plate law isn`t as standard as I thought. This link has some really interesting arguments for making the no front plate law standard. I`ll have to do some more research.
    Last edited by Jngrbrdman; 07-11-2004 at 07:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Woob
    Looks cool, but the joining seems little spaced apart.
    Joining where? I`m not sure what you are looking at. You can barely see little pin pricks of light between the weaves. It doesn`t really matter since it will be mounted against my license plate and no light will come through. I could probably just paint the back black and solve all of the problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
    Joining where? I`m not sure what you are looking at. You can barely see little pin pricks of light between the weaves. It doesn`t really matter since it will be mounted against my license plate and no light will come through. I could probably just paint the back black and solve all of the problems.
    Opps my bad. Light played with my eyes. Paint it black might work, but I sorta like the silver look. What color is your car again?

Post Thanks / Like
    White.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks even better installled. Did you ever consider using a black frame? Just wonder if it would make the the CF and the frame blend a bit better. Either way, looks really cool.
    Word of Mouth Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I did. I put a black frame up for comparison and I liked the chrome better. I kind of wanted to draw attention to the area instead of making it blend in. The chrome frame is just the amount of `bling bling` that the doctor ordered.

Post Thanks / Like
    that is pretty awesome looking. Especially since you did it yourself. How hard is it to work with CF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a little tricky. It just depends on what you are making. I screwed up two of these before I got it right. I also screwed up two or three spark plug covers for my engine too. It takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it then it gets easier. Patience is the key. That plate cover took me over a week to make.

Thread Information