Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

$15.00 minimum wage - thoughts?

Well today there are strikes in something like 150 cities at fast food joints to increase the minimum wage to $15.00.

Some say it`s outside influence from unions to stir the pot or get in the door. (personally I don`t care who organized it)

I myself see that this is at best inflationary, at worst job killing. And will hurt the people the most that it`s supposed to help.

Thoughts?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $15.00 minimum wage - thoughts?

My be a moot point soon ............

Momentum Machines Burger Robot - Business Insider

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Horrible idea. For several reasons. People always want something for (almost) nothing.

You want a higher paying job, make the effort to achieve that.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a comment/reply to the article. IMHO is very fitting

"3.1415926535 on Aug 12, 10:11 AM said:
    @depression: What we need are entry level jobs where people can learn those skills, become more valuable to their current, and perhaps other employers, and then progress in their careers over time.

An over simplified, and perhaps inaccurate example might be getting a job at Jiffy Lube to learn to change oil, then maybe an air filter, switch a battery, and rotate tires. Then maybe you progress to flushing radiators, changing belts, replacing an alternator, etc.. All of a sudden, you have enough mechanical skills that you might progress beyond Jiffy Lube, maybe even to an independent garage.

The guy who puts in minimal effort and is happy to remove the drain plug, look up the make/model on the computer, remove the filter and replace it with the correct model, replace the plug, and then fill the car with the correct amount of oil isn`t going to progress when standing next to the other guy. "

Post Thanks / Like

Just read something on MSN where they quoted a guy saying he can`t support his family on 11.00/hr.

Well, mebbe he should go look for a different job ?!?!?!?!

The new victim mentality.......................

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, double the pay which could lead to cutting the number of employees in half because that is all the businesses can afford. It wouldn`t be quite that dramatic, but it`s a bad idea.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, another example of the "Me Generation" wanting something for nothing... Their theme song - " I Me Mine " (The Beatles )

It is sad...

And where, pray tell, do they think the extra wages are going to come from ? Do they still believe that the Bank "Gives" you money everytime you go there and put the card into the reader??

Did they miss that part of the Econ class in High School ?? Did they go to High School ?

I can tell you that when I was young enough to even qualify for minimum wage, it was just a little over $2.00/hour, and guess what - no one was protesting/demonstrating/hating/etc...

I just put my head down, (as well as everyone else), worked hard, learned much, worked harder, studied hard, figured out ways to make the job easier by becoming more efficient (innovation), was never late, never tired after the weekend, and demonstrated leadership,, honesty, and integrity...

In time, my superiors recognized this and we were promoted and given more responsibility...

Wouldnt it be nice someday to see stories of people who came up with virtually nothing, and worked hard without complaining, whining, and basically being jack a$$e$, got an education along the way, and then saw themselves promoted - because of their good hard work - into very high levels of business ???

How come we dont ever see those stories ???

Instead we have to see people sitting on the ground holding signs, and chanting something about GIVING them something they have not EARNED....

OK, I need to go outside now and kick the trashcan or something...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Again, another example of the "Me Generation" wanting something for nothing... Their theme song - " I Me Mine " (The Beatles )

It is sad...

And where, pray tell, do they think the extra wages are going to come from ? Do they still believe that the Bank "Gives" you money everytime you go there and put the card into the reader??

Did they miss that part of the Econ class in High School ?? Did they go to High School ?

I can tell you that when I was young enough to even qualify for minimum wage, it was just a little over $2.00/hour, and guess what - no one was protesting/demonstrating/hating/etc...

I just put my head down, (as well as everyone else), worked hard, learned much, worked harder, studied hard, figured out ways to make the job easier by becoming more efficient (innovation), was never late, never tired after the weekend, and demonstrated leadership,, honesty, and integrity...

In time, my superiors recognized this and we were promoted and given more responsibility...

Wouldnt it be nice someday to see stories of people who came up with virtually nothing, and worked hard without complaining, whining, and basically being jack a$$, got an education along the way, and then saw themselves promoted - because of their good hard work - into very high levels of business ???

How come we dont ever see those stories ???

Instead we have to see people sitting on the ground holding signs, and chanting something about GIVING them something they have not EARNED....

OK, I need to go outside now and kick the trashcan or something...
    Dan F
    What if I told you I am now a junior in college and have yet to be required to take any sort of economics course in my entire life. Well, I wouldn`t be lying to you. The good news? I see the issue with raising minimum wage and I work at a car dealership so I have a better understanding of credit, financing, etc. than 99% of the other people my age (well good for me, bad news to the others that don`t know basics).

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve worked at plenty of minimum wage jobs since I was 16. Before that, I worked on a tomato farm (off the books) for $35 a day. Not once did I blame "the man" or the government because my pay sucked. I had no intentions of making a career out of picking tomatoes or flipping burgers. Even at the various dealerships I`ve worked for over the years, none ever paid much over minimum wage. This never made me bitter, but drove me to become as good as I possibly could, so I could one day go out on my own and earn a decent living. What do the people think will happen if minimum wage does go up? Its not just the big corperations that will have to pay this, but also the small businesses which are already struggling. Minimum wage in Illinois is somewhere around $8.50 an hour right now. If it goes to 15, there will definitely be jobs cut, not to mention the prices of everything going WAY up. Its not just the food industry that pays around minimum wage. Gas stations, retail stores, the list goes on and on. As far as how you can raise a family on minimum wage...well once you figure in all of the government assistance that I`m rest assured 80% of those of them with families are getting, I`m sure they are doing better than many of us. I personally know several people who work less than 30 hours a week and draw $600 a month in free food, get another $400 in cash assistance, get free health care, free phones, and also get help with their utilities. So yeah..I don`t feel sorry for anyone with that arguement.

Post Thanks / Like

These entry level jobs were never designed to support a family on their own. They are a way for a person to get their feet wet in the job market and prove that they have the basic skills, integrity and work ethic to improve their current situation. No one going to work bagging groceries or slinging burgers should have the mentality that thats what they will be doing 10 years from now. These are" stepping stone " jobs and anybody with any initiative would view them as such.

This $15 hr wage would be a definite job killer. It would also come back to bite everyone in the form of higher product cost.. The fast food place will just pass the expense along to the customer and all of a sudden you are looking at a $10 Big Mac. Disposable income will not improve due to the increase in all of the cost of goods and services.

I am sick of people wanting something given to them without putting forth the effort to earn it. The increasing Government giveaway programs are going to be the death of our society. What has happened to a good old hard working ethic and learning to live within ones means?

Post Thanks / Like

Wages go up, cost of the product goes up, everything else goes up with it, were back at square one. Besides minimum wage jobs were never meant to be one people worked to support a family. Get an education so you can better yourself with a decent job.
    I am living proof that Organ Donation Saves lives.
    3-25-11

Post Thanks / Like

Fast food workers take to streets to demand $15 minimum wage | TheHill

"Fast food workers in New York City, Chicago, Detroit and possibly more cities were arrested for blocking traffic in front of restaurants early Thursday morning, while thousands more continued protesting peacefully, according to news reports

Backed by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), fast food workers in 150 cities are walking off the job and picking up picket signs to demand that they be paid no less than $15 per hour. This is the seventh strike organized by the Fast Food Forward campaign since November 2012, when the campaign began."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Just read something on MSN where they quoted a guy saying he can`t support his family on 11.00/hr.

Well, mebbe he should go look for a different job ?!?!?!?!

The new victim mentality.......................
    reminds me of Latrell Sprewell who was saying he couldn`t support his family on millions of dollars per year NBA salary. lol

--Latrell Sprewell says he`ll ask to be traded if the Minnesota Timberwolves don`t sign him to a contract extension by Wednesday night`s opener. ``I think this thing is heading towards me leaving, personally,`` Sprewell told reporters after a practice this week. Earlier this preseason, Sprewell said he wanted a contract extension by the Wolves` opener, against the New York Knicks, or he would ask for a sign-and-trade deal or wait to become a free agent. Either way, Sprewell said he didn`t want to negotiate during the season. But he took a tougher stance Sunday. Asked if he would play out the season and test the free-agent market, Sprewell said: ``Why would I want to help them win a title? They`re not doing anything for me. I`m at risk. I have a lot of risk here. I got my family to feed.`` Sprewell is due to make $14.6 million this year. Sprewell, 34, described the team`s latest offer, reported to be worth between $27 million and $30 million over three years, as ``insulting.``--

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like
    $15 an hour ??

That`s BS. Who can raise a family of like 7 kids and buy them all iPads & pay for 3 baby mommas to get their hair/nails done weekly on 15 lousy dollars an hour???

I say raise it to $100 an hour.

It doesn`t matter... We are all doomed.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

SYMAWD ------

Thanks for your honest post !!! We need more good, hard working, honest people in this world !

You are learning about the Economy and how it affects virtually everything...

I hope that as you learn these things, you will learn about the credit card trap that enslaves many...

We are taught by good parents and also in our Church, to not become enslaved by the credit card master, who never sleeps, takes a day off, needs a vacation, but stands over us and extracts his interest without fail - until we get out from under his control by paying off his high price for convenience..

There are some things that will require credit like buying a house, etc., but for everything else, it will always be easier to save up the money and pay in full for whatever it is...

When you calculate all the interest you have paid over a lifetime, well, its not ever a good number to see - unless we really tried to not go into credit card debt hell...

Good luck in your job ! I have faith that you will do good, and add this to your Education and come out on top !
    Dan F

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information