Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: $15.00 minimum wage - thoughts?

Minimum wage workers account for 4.7 percent of hourly paid workers in 2012
    March 25, 2013

In 2012, there were 3.6 million hourly paid workers in the United States with wages at or below the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. These workers made up 4.7 percent of the 75.3 million workers age 16 and over who were paid at hourly rates. In 2012, 6 percent of women who were paid hourly rates had wages at or below the prevailing federal minimum, compared with about 3 percent of men.

Minimum wage workers account for 4.7 percent of hourly paid workers in 2012 : The Editor’s Desk : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

So really this is just to get peoples panties in a bunch
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    It is definitely a philosophy we cannot all agree on. Often when corporate execs get a raise it has come at the expense of American jobs as they chase those profit goals since you are only as good as you were last quarter.
    I gotta call you on this Al. The corp execs you speak of are a minority, and most don`t last long. YES the CEO`s are there to make sure the company makes money. All bosses (ex govt employees) are. But that doesn`t mean all are sleazy money grubbing misers. Are you in business to make a profit?

Considering that 55% of all jobs are in "small business" that leave 45% to big business. The way people re led to think, is that 45% of the bosses out there are crooks and could care less about the people that work for/with them.

There were many times that my employees got paid before me, and some even made more than me.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the same kind of uneducated and "proactive" people that supported the criminal, Michael Brown based upon the cities these are happening in i.e. Detriot, Chicago, NY aka low income areas. Yea, I just opened up a gigantic can of worms.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t mean to put you on the spot Al.

I am more annoyed at the fools that are protesting/striking and potentially harming their employer because they think they deserve $15.00/hr. If they think they are worth that, show em, or go fin another job that will pay em that much.

Also that a large union is behind it, either to glom members or so they have % increase next time their members contracts come up. win/win for them.

But how many people realize that a union is behind it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Raising minimum wage = Shrinking the middle class.

Every day in this country the poor get richer...More entitlements, more handouts, and more free government funded programs. Who pays for this? Us. Why should the poor be "entitled" to anything they didn`t earn? Is this The Peoples Republic of America? Why should I be forced to pay an unskilled worker doing an unskilled job more so he/she can support a family?

Where does this leave people who work hard, acquire a skill, or get an education to earn a decent wage? What do we get? Nothing. More taxes. ObamaCare. Expanded Welfare Programs....they can`t even fix a damn pot hole where I live... And yes - my personal favorite - the ever expanding PA State Government sponsored narcotic maintenance program for drug addicts....

Where is my government mandated raise? When is Obama going to kick in for MY health insurance? Why doesn`t the government pay MY $80k in student loans? I want free bread and milk... I want to just veg like the OTHER HALF of America... All we see are more taxes and expansion of government programs to help the "less fortunate".

This country was not built on income redistribution, mandatory minimum wage, or government entitlements. It was built on hard work and transcending you situation in life in the pursuit of doing better for yourself and your family.

Our people are so lazy... This (USA) has to be like the easiest place in the world to make a decent living. Why do you think everyone wants to come here? It`s so sad our own legal citizens have so little self respect that they have no problem being propped up and funded by their fellow taxpayer.

I feel no sympathy for anyone trying to raise a family on minimum wage. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Once upon a time this used to be a CAPITALISTIC country called America where people were rewarded for hard work and sacrifice....

Now we are going down a road from which there is no return.

We Are All Doomed.

rant over.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there are still a huge amount of great, decent, honest, hard working men, women, and teens out here that are NOT going to go down that road ever...
    And we will not - ever - let go..

Along with a little Econ class, everyone needs to take or remember the History of America, and think about all the shoulders of so many, many, great, even harder working people, pioneers, etc., we stand on; so many, that came here with virtually nothing and never gave up working, so that their children would have it better than they did..

That is what my Parents, Grand Parents, etc., did for me and my siblings, and I am sure yours did the same for you..

There will Never - Ever - be anything better than the sleep one gets at the end of a day of good, hard, honest work.. Your body is tired, but its ok.. Your mind is relaxed and clear.. Your conscience is clear... Your sleep - like that Baby Angel in the next room, or next to you..

If I ever wanted to do anything in this life, it would be to try my best to measure up to the least of those great people who sacrificed everything for us..

If there were anything we could do for the world now, we better be getting along and doing it now..

I would love to be able to teach, mentor, work alongside, do anything to help someone - everyone - learn a little of all the great experiences I have learned from over all these years !
    Take this that I freely give you, and go make it better !

I have personally been so Blessed by so many to get to this point in my life..
    And I will always continue to pay it forward..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

If these minimum wage employees think the are so much more valuable go out get a loan and start up there own company pay huge salaries to there employees and show us how its done. Show us how over paying for unskilled labor makes a great business model. I love how these people think they could run a business so much better but yet they cant figure out how to even pay there bills or manage there own finances and are living paycheck to paycheck. I have never been paycheck to paycheck in my life. But then again I don`t smoke I don`t drink I don`t buy scratch tickets I don`t gamble I don`t put anything on a credit card I cant pay off at the end of the month. I pack my lunch almost every day along with a cooler for drinks and snacks instead paying 3-4 times the price at a store. I saved my 20 percent down payment for my first house that I bought at 20 years old in a year by not going out or buying anything more then pure necessities and I lived at home (not in an apartment so I could party with friends). Now 20 years later I have to listen to politicians tell me how I am just lucky and i won life`s lottery and how I would have none of it if it were not for the government! Really so what has the government done for me that it did not do for all the others who have been LOSERS. I didn`t know only I was allowed to use the roads and water and infrastructure xxxx where did all that traffic I was in today come from if I am the only one allowed to use the roads. Or maybe I am successful because I work my ass off everyday and make my self a huge asset to my employer (now my brother and my self / have 2 other brothers that were not asked/offered owner ship and a job because they don`t have my work ethic). You want to make more then minimum wage be worth more then minimum wage. You know why Peyton Manning makes 20 Million a year because he is worth that to the Broncos you know why you make 8.25$ an hour because that`s what you are worth to XYZ inc. Enlightenment will destroy this country, if my grand farther were a live today he would be amazed to know in today`s world he would be considered poverty stricken he thought he was doing good with a nice 2 bedroom apartment one car a black and white tv.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Trashmanssd -------

I am so proud of you !!!
    Thanks for sharing -
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    SYMAWD ------

Thanks for your honest post !!! We need more good, hard working, honest people in this world !

You are learning about the Economy and how it affects virtually everything...

I hope that as you learn these things, you will learn about the credit card trap that enslaves many...

We are taught by good parents and also in our Church, to not become enslaved by the credit card master, who never sleeps, takes a day off, needs a vacation, but stands over us and extracts his interest without fail - until we get out from under his control by paying off his high price for convenience..

There are some things that will require credit like buying a house, etc., but for everything else, it will always be easier to save up the money and pay in full for whatever it is...

When you calculate all the interest you have paid over a lifetime, well, its not ever a good number to see - unless we really tried to not go into credit card debt hell...

Good luck in your job ! I have faith that you will do good, and add this to your Education and come out on top !
    Dan F
    Thanks for your response. I do have a credit card but I pay off the full amount on time every month. If I can`t afford it, it doesn`t go on my credit card to begin with. I refuse to be one of those people who only pays the minimum, lets the interest build up, and then starts paying off credit cards with more credit cards. I see it all the time at work. Someone can be making a very large amount of money, and then they act all surprised when we tell them they can`t get approved to finance a new car.

On the other hand, I was approved for top tier rates when I got my car.

Same thing with college loans too. Some people don`t realize the amount of interest that accrues while they are in school. And the rates are far from low. Every month I pay off my interest and then some. I don`t want to be stuck with a crap-ton of interest when I graduate.

I still think that a "Life" course needs to be taught in high school. Most people don`t know what credit is, how interest rates work, how to pay bills, or any of that important stuff.

As for minimum wage, sure I love making an extra $1 an hour this year or just over $2000 a year before taxes. However, I know my employer is just splitting my $2000 and everyone else`s into the price of their products. Now the people with money who aren`t getting pay increases are spending more. Now they have less to spend and as a result, businesses suffer as there is less money to go around. Now that they suffer because they have to pay every employee an extra $2000 a year, they have to cut jobs and basically we`re all doomed.

Economics should really be required.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.

To be fair, I`m undecided on the issue. What I can say is that the minimum wage of today is much less than it was decades ago, adjusted for inflation. Many economists believe the minimum wage should be increased; I`ll post links at the bottom. Honestly, I think many of you here, like posters I see on Facebook and around the internet in general, are angry at the wrong people. There are GOOD arguments on both sides of the problem. It bothers me when people fail to recognize that.

A big part of the issue, in my opinion, is that our country has an enormous wealth inequality problem. We`ve also seen millions of jobs go overseas. You can thank your government and big corporations for that.

Also, it`s funny to me that people get upset about having to pay (via taxation) for food stamps, medicaid, and other assistance for low-wage workers, while their employers (take McDonald`s and Walmart for example) rake in billions in profits. Don`t you think it would be better for you, Joe taxpayer, if McDonald`s and Walmart put less in their executives` pockets and their own retained earnings, and paid their workers a reasonable wage? Right now you, Joe taxpayer, are subsidizing Walmart`s and McDonald`s payroll. How does that make you feel?

Here are a couple links I`d like to share. Just food for thought, that`s all.

Link: Robert Reich (WHY THE MINIMUM WAGE SHOULD REALLY BE RAISED TO...)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I am more annoyed at the fools that are protesting/striking and potentially harming their employer because they think they deserve $15.00/hr.
    It is their right but I do not always agree with their methods or demands that sometimes be self-defeating. There are companies that do things I do not like either often their right. Concepts like monopolies, bribery, etc. are recent restraints in the American free enterprise system.

I agree it is as much a political issue just like guns, welfare (for or against), immigration, etc to motivate their voting base rather than solve a real problem.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StuDLei View Post
    Also, it`s funny to me that people get upset about having to pay (via taxation) for food stamps, medicaid, and other assistance for low-wage workers, while their employers (take McDonald`s and Walmart for example) rake in billions in profits. Don`t you think it would be better for you, Joe taxpayer, if McDonald`s and Walmart put less in their executives` pockets and their own retained earnings, and paid their workers a reasonable wage? Right now you, Joe taxpayer, are subsidizing Walmart`s and McDonald`s payroll. How does that make you feel?
    I have to respectfully disagree. McDonald`s and Walmart`s executives won`t get paid a nickel less from raising the minimum wage...if anything, inflation and increased prices will push them to get paid MORE.

I don`t begrudge any zillionaire / CEO any money they earn. They are responsible for operating a very profitable company - that`s the compensation hierarchy of capitalism. That is what this country WAS built on.

So many "executives" in America have been the mastermind behind ground breaking, envelope pushing companies: Henry Ford, Steve Jobs, Sam Walton, etc... Do I want these peoples` salaries capped or messed with? No. One Steve Jobs is worth a million minimum wage workers to our economy.

If Walmart can`t pay their workers` a decent wage - then people shouldn`t work there. It`s that simple. Any excuses like "it`s not that easy", etc... really don`t fly with me. It`s basic economics. If Walmart has a hard time finding decent employees - they will raise their wage through natural market forces - not government mandated laws. Jobs will become more competitive as wages get higher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StuDLei View Post
    Wow.

To be fair, I`m undecided on the issue. What I can say is that the minimum wage of today is much less than it was decades ago, adjusted for inflation. Many economists believe the minimum wage should be increased; I`ll post links at the bottom. Honestly, I think many of you here, like posters I see on Facebook and around the internet in general, are angry at the wrong people. There are GOOD arguments on both sides of the problem. It bothers me when people fail to recognize that.

A big part of the issue, in my opinion, is that our country has an enormous wealth inequality problem. We`ve also seen millions of jobs go overseas. You can thank your government and big corporations for that.

Here are a couple links I`d like to share. Just food for thought, that`s all.

Link: Robert Reich (WHY THE MINIMUM WAGE SHOULD REALLY BE RAISED TO...)
    As far as mickey d`s is concerned..... 80% of em are franchises. So if the ceo took a pay reduction, it wouldn`t add a dime to the "workers" pockets.

Corps moving out of the US? ummm yeah, with the highest corporate tax in the free world as well as a completely screwed up tax code. it sorta makes sense. Make it easier for companies to make $$$ here, they stay here. Simple.

But thank you for posting those videos. I needed a laugh. The pollit bureau puts out great propaganda .

And as far as Robert riech goes, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........ again the pollit bureau at work. Wonder if he will return if Hill wins?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree. McDonald`s and Walmart`s executives won`t get paid a nickel less from raising the minimum wage...if anything, inflation and increased prices will push them to get paid MORE.

I don`t begrudge any zillionaire / CEO any money they earn. They are responsible for operating a very profitable company - that`s the compensation hierarchy of capitalism. That is what this country WAS built on.

So many "executives" in America have been the mastermind behind ground breaking, envelope pushing companies: Henry Ford, Steve Jobs, Sam Walton, etc... Do I want these peoples` salaries capped or messed with? No. One Steve Jobs is worth a million minimum wage workers to our economy.

If Walmart can`t pay their workers` a decent wage - then people shouldn`t work there. It`s that simple. Any excuses like "it`s not that easy", etc... really don`t fly with me. It`s basic economics. If Walmart has a hard time finding decent employees - they will raise their wage through natural market forces - not government mandated laws. Jobs will become more competitive as wages get higher.
    That makes toooo much sense. The government will decide who and how much people should make.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    That makes toooo much sense. The government will decide who and how much people should make.
    It`s soooooooooo much more "equitable" that way

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information