Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Photography Question for you all

Seeing so many photos that are always posted of fantastic looking cars or food or whatever else you may choose to post leads me to believe that a few of you here enjoy photography possibly as a hobby.

My question for you photography hobbyists or professionals out there; How many of you still physically print out an image?

I don`t mean just printing an image on a basic color printer but a dedicated photo printer on archival paper or make in image in a darkroom.

Looking at all the photos I take, I don`t actually print out many photos at all.

I love spending time in a darkroom when I can but I have not had the opportunity to do so in a while.

I find I only print photos I would consider worthy of showing and even then, I have an affinity for black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Photography Question for you all

Another question;

Are any of you into alternative photo processes?

They take a bit of time to create compared to a digital print but they have a very unique look that you simply do not see very often today.

Post Thanks / Like

I have over 15000 photos on my hard drive and have printed maybe 10 in the last two years...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I have over 15000 photos on my hard drive and have printed maybe 10 in the last two years...
    This is a shame. Being a photographer for >45 years, I`m all about the print. If your hard drive should crash and there`s no backup, what then? Are you paying for all that cloud storage for backup - most can`t afford it or worse, don`t think it`s necessary.

One of the great things all this digital technology has given us are photo books - where you can upload your pictures and control the layout & page composition. What you get back is a coffee table book for your pictures. Many sources make this service available and after trying several, I`ve found AdoramaPix to be a great company for manufacturing lay flat books-where the spine opens completely and there is not "gutter" running down the center. So you can create panorama shots that are seamless within the album.

Some old school things shouldn`t change - imho this is one!

Post Thanks / Like

I make it a habit to make a photo book after every outing I take my camera. I don`t always take my bulky DSLR but when I do I make it count. I usually only take it when my wife and I take our nieces and nephews to an amusement park or even to a local fair. They love seeing the pictures in a book and I personally feel it`s much better than swiping through hundreds of pics on a smart phone or even on a computer monitor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc52nv View Post
    I make it a habit to make a photo book after every outing I take my camera. I don`t always take my bulky DSLR but when I do I make it count. I usually only take it when my wife and I take our nieces and nephews to an amusement park or even to a local fair. They love seeing the pictures in a book and I personally feel it`s much better than swiping through hundreds of pics on a smart phone or even on a computer monitor.
    The book idea is a great way to print and share photos!

Now that film has dramatically decreased in popularity hardly anyone has actual printed images anymore.

Every now and then I`ll turn off the rear display on the camera and force myself to slow down, set up a proper shot, and not rely on the preview screen to show me whether I had a decent image or not. Helps to revert my thinking back to the 35mm and 4x5 days for a few photo sessions in order to not lose older way of thinking about my image before capturing it.

Far too often I`ll capture over 1,000 images and only like 50 of them and be willing to print maybe 5 of those on a good day with my digital camera. But when I slow down and think like its a film camera where every shot needs to count that goes up to about 1 in 30 being print worthy for a show.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a difference between museum quality/portfolio worthy prints and family photographs that capture the moment. The images that go into the book have far greater value than the right composition or the perfect lighting. Each have their place - but go back and look and your childhood photographs. You`ll notice that not many are Pulitzer Prize winning but no less valuable. These pictures are priceless.

Post Thanks / Like

I think about that all the time anymore. I used to take pictures of my cars all the time, go to Target and pay to get the pics developed, even usually pay for double prints so I`d have extras of any `cool` shots.

Nowadays, I shoot hundreds of pics, quickly browse them, pick the few I like and share them online/facebook, but otherwise, they go on a CD/DVD probably to never be viewed again.

My wife and I have taken the time to print and put some photo albums together of our nice vacations, but other than that, not really. I`ve got hundreds of pics from SEMA the last several years. Always thought I`d like to go through them and make an album, but I never have any spare time.

I know digital photography has changed the way I take pics nowadays. Back in the days of `film`, I`d shoot however many pics were on my `roll` and be done. It would force me to make sure I had what I felt would be a good shot so as to not waste any film.

Nowadays I point and click taking way more images than I ever did, only because they`re "free" and I might decide I like a slightly different angle on one from another. But in the end, all I have are way more pics than I need, all of which will rarely see the shiny side of any archival paper.

Post Thanks / Like

What sites do you guys use to print pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    What sites do you guys use to print pictures?
    For personal pics I`ve used walgreens, shutterfly, iPhoto and MyPublisher.

For clients or big pics I will frame I use a local professional print lab.

Post Thanks / Like

Online Photo Books, Prints, Calendar, Digital Photo Printing Services - AdoramaPix

Great quality for individual prints & "lay flat" books. Reasonably priced and very fast turnaround. Highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome, thanks guys : )

Post Thanks / Like

I post most I take up to my webpage, so if someone likes what they see they can order it, the site prints it and sends it to them directly. The last time I paid to have print done was 1 1/2 years ago when I took a family pic. Its framed and on the mantel. I took over 800 pictures on our trip to Hawaii and have printed absolutely 0.
    I am living proof that Organ Donation Saves lives.
    3-25-11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    Online Photo Books, Prints, Calendar, Digital Photo Printing Services - AdoramaPix

Great quality for individual prints & "lay flat" books. Reasonably priced and very fast turnaround. Highly recommended.
    +1 on adorama

I`ve used them for some basic prints before and might be ordering a photobook soon now that this thread got me thinking about it.

For most daily prints I use Costco, if I want a little higher quality prints or I shoot a roll of film I use a local photography store that offers printing services.

For special photos mainly in B&W I have a printer at home I use that I can run that fancy papers through.

Post Thanks / Like

Costco is ok, better for 4x6 than the larger print sizes. Adorama if you can wait the extra day or two is much better. Again, I`ve tested many labs and found Adorama superior for both quality and price. They also allow TIF file uploads (60 mgs) and since I would Photoshop many images, this format afforded much better results.

Again, I want to suggest to YNOT and others to take an "event" and turn it into a small book. They also have some great examples on their website so you can get some ideas on what can be done. They run sales all the time so upload your photos, use their software (free, creative & easy to use) to create a book and don`t "publish" until the sale starts. Generally this works though sometimes for clients I would have to create the book asap. Sorta like Autopia Sales if you know what I mean. No offense intended Todd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information