Post Thanks / Like

Clear Bra install - need opinions on issue!

Had my 328xi done with Xpel ultimate yesterday. There was a small but deep chip in the hood and they were advised of it, provided with oem bmw paint tube.

I suggested that it needed to be filled, wet-sanded and polished before the ppf install; the owner of the shop agreed.

I mentioned that I wanted to see the touch-up before the film install and it looked good at that point. I did`nt look that closely upon collection as it looked fine prior. I know it would not simply disappear.

This morning in brighter light I see this. I email with this picture and a request to address it - if this was yours would you let it go or how would you handle this?

I know the film isn`t the easiest to remove.

----
    2014 BMW 328i Sedan - Xdrive - 2.0L Turbo - M-Sport, All equipment pkgs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear Bra install - need opinions on issue!

Myself I would let go but ask for some sort of rebate on the price since they didn`t follow your instructions completely.

If they don`t want to do that then ask for them to redo it..it`s a PITA to take that stuff but that`s there job..

My question is do they have the expertise to repair chips? that`s a art in itself IMO
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the chip, I think they did the best they can. Honestly as an Xpel installer it is very hard to get an install perfect if not impossible. Just remember that unless they were to fill that chip with spot putty, the touch it up, then wet sand and polish it wont be even. Just filling it with touch up paint it might of been even with the paint but while applying the film the gel(that has a lot of alcohol in it) would of acted as a solvent to remove some of it. so even with removing/ spot putty/ wet sand and polish. There is no promise it will end up any better. Or worse having so much less paint on it it would take it off completely and leave a different color spot. Personally if you were my customer I would of never promised I could get that perfect, but pointed out the reason for Xpel is prevent more of this damage which it will do. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

you mean you are going to drive that bmw around with a horribly disfigured hood like that ? time to trade it in for a new one (oh crap, it is a new one! ). well then a complete repaint is in order, or we`ll send this pic to bmwusa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Looking at the chip, I think they did the best they can. Honestly as an Xpel installer it is very hard to get an install perfect if not impossible. Just remember that unless they were to fill that chip with spot putty, the touch it up, then wet sand and polish it wont be even. Just filling it with touch up paint it might of been even with the paint but while applying the film the gel(that has a lot of alcohol in it) would of acted as a solvent to remove some of it. so even with removing/ spot putty/ wet sand and polish. There is no promise it will end up any better. Or worse having so much less paint on it it would take it off completely and leave a different color spot. Personally if you were my customer I would of never promised I could get that perfect, but pointed out the reason for Xpel is prevent more of this damage which it will do. Hope this helps!
    Thank you for a well-worded explanation.
    ----

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    you mean you are going to drive that bmw around with a horribly disfigured hood like that ? time to trade it in for a new one (oh crap, it is a new one! ). well then a complete repaint is in order, or we`ll send this pic to bmwusa.
    Yup, happened 2 days before the ppf install appointment. Of course you know?
    ----

Post Thanks / Like

If anything, the shop is guilty of not setting the correct expectations... Touch up paint will shrink after applied, for up to a week, as the solvents out gas. Even if it was touched up and looked great, this shrinkage will show up.

This is the number 1 reason why I avoid touch up paints, because in the limited time frame I have the car, it is nearly impossible to get it right. Ideally the touch up paint would have been applied 1 week prior to being sanded and polished...

I don`t think they did a bad job in regards to the time frame they had to work with, I just think they may have done a poor job explaining the drawbacks of touching up the paint and wrapping the car the same/next day.

Thread Information