Post Thanks / Like

UFC 171 live from Dallas for the Welterweight Championship! Live on March 15th!

I wanted to start this thread for UFC 171, live from American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas for the Welterweight Championship of the World, in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, where Johny "Bigg Rigg" Hendricks will face, and defeat, Robbie "Ruthless" Lawler on March 15th.

I was lucky enough to get tickets on the floor, and my decided to take my Uncle, who has literally been watching since he bought the Pay-Per-View UFC 1 in the early 90s.

So, without further adieu, here are the tickets for the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

In the spirit of Ray`s Daytona thread, let`s get a discussion going about this fight, which should be a good one! Hendricks and his beard should have a distinct home field advantage, since he lives and trains in the Dallas area.

Hopefully, those who are unable to attend will watch the undercard on FOX Sports 1 and either purchase or go somewhere that has the PPV fight. Both Hendricks and Lawler are both heavy hitters, so I wouldn`t be surprised if we see a knockout or TKO by either one. But that`s enough of me talking, let`s hear what everyone else has to say...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: UFC 171 live from Dallas for the Welterweight Championship! Live on March 15th!

IDC for the main event. Regardless of who wins, carlos condit will beat the winner. Hendricks will gas in a 5 rounder against NBK. And lawler lost to Rory IMO
    www.facebook.com/Ultimatecardetailingoc Please Like my FB if you like my work

Post Thanks / Like

Re: UFC 171 live from Dallas for the Welterweight Championship! Live on March 15th!

Quote Originally Posted by psynx View Post
    IDC for the main event. Regardless of who wins, carlos condit will beat the winner. Hendricks will gas in a 5 rounder against NBK. And lawler lost to Rory IMO
    Thanks for your comments. I don`t know if I agree that Condit will beat Hendricks, since Hendricks looked pretty good in his UD against him. I thought that Lawler looked good against Rory, whom I may be biased since I don`t like, but didn`t Lawler lose in a controversial split-decision?

Hendricks first 5 rounder was against GSP, and while he did slow down in 4 and 5, he still managed to make some shots hit and didn`t look gassed at all, in my opinion. Even in the post fight presser, Dana said that he looked good in his first 5 round fight, and as we all know said that Hendricks won the fight - decidedly.

Condit fights in the co-main event in 170, so it is a STACKED CARD! I am very, very excited to see it and I will make sure to share some pictures with everyone. Let`s hope they`re all solid fights, especially since no one got to see any of the fights last night because it was Fight Pass only...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radarryan View Post
    Even in the post fight presser, Dana said that he looked good in his first 5 round fight, and as we all know said that Hendricks won the fight - decidedly.
    My advice, don`t listen to anything Dana says, ever.... The guy is the ultimate fraud (IMO).

I remember when Zuffa bought the UFC, Dana ran it into the ground, they were losing so much money they were going to pull the plug, then the Feritta`s decided to do a reality show. Dana when on a rant about how reality shows sucked and he was dead-set-against it...

Then TUF works and delivers the UFC to the public, and PR marketing turns Dana into a hero. This was about the time the UFC lost a lot of interest from me and other hardcore fans. The first UFC I ever attended was in Mobile, AL in 1999. Frank Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz.

You will have a great time! I think Hendrick will beat Lawler (probably by wrestling) and Condit wins at sets up the rematch.

By this time, the UFC will pass random drug testing rules, GSP will be fully rested and return. Hendrick, void of any performance enhancing drugs (which he refused testing for last fight) and no longer fighting a shadow of GSP will get owned in the rematch and all will be right with the universe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Todd, I am very much looking forward to the fight this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    My advice, don`t listen to anything Dana says, ever.... The guy is the ultimate fraud (IMO).
    Trust me, I have no illusions about Dana White. His style is "agree with me, or you`re not a real fight fan, or you know nothing about real fighting." Please... It was the Fertitta brothers, especially Lorenzo, but only because of his prior connection to Dana, that made the UFC what it is today. Lorenzo benefited not only from his family money, but also his seat on the boxing commission in Nevada. Not only that, but they have a Gaming License in Nevada, which is the hardest license to get and ensures that you meet a lot of people, and probably grease a lot of pockets, along the way.

Not only that, but remember all the PPVs that had STACKED cards from start to finish? Not so much anymore but remember like 2005, 2006 when the Pride guys were coming over to the UFC - Chuck had done his stint over in Japan and won (while being under contract with the UFC (in fact, that may be something, if it was Dana`s idea (he claims it was) but he sent Chuck over to Pride despite being under contact to the UFC to prove that the UFC could hang with Pride fighters. Smart, because it worked, at least in retrospect.) - but all those fights were memorable and really got a lot of causal fans to be hardcore fans. Well, people forget that it is Joe Silva that makes the fights, as Zuffa`s matchmaker. Joe was a carryover from the UFC pre-Zuffa days, and I bet Zuffa is glad that they kept him on board when they purchased the UFC. The two million they paid is probably what Bellator would have to pay to get Joe to jump ship over to them!

I remember when Zuffa bought the UFC, Dana ran it into the ground, they were losing so much money they were going to pull the plug, then the Feritta`s decided to do a reality show. Dana when on a rant about how reality shows sucked and he was dead-set-against it...
    If I remember correctly, they were around $40 million in the red before the production started for TUF 1. Big John says that it was during the TUF finale, that he thought, "Okay, maybe we can make it now." Not only is he one of the best refs, but he was correct. That ended up being the turning point, in retrospect.

Then TUF works and delivers the UFC to the public, and PR marketing turns Dana into a hero. This was about the time the UFC lost a lot of interest from me and other hardcore fans.
    Now there are TUFs all over the world, with the China finale supposedly being one of the best fights in a long time. Too bad no one saw it because it wasn`t televised here. Oh, and don`t get me started on this Fight Pass crap. And UFC Uniforms... That`s Dana, though. He tries to exploit every opportunity, despite alienating long term fans. He believes that the hardcore fans will be there no matter what. I read recently (within the week or so) an article on CagePotato that was saying just that - that hardcore fans are leaving because of what the UFC is turing into. It`s really too bad...

The first UFC I ever attended was in Mobile, AL in 1999. Frank Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz.
    Todd! That was the Fight of the Year! What an amazing first you got to go to! Wow! How was it? I can`t even imagine the energy in the stadium... Details, please!

You will have a great time! I think Hendrick will beat Lawler (probably by wrestling) and Condit wins at sets up the rematch.
    I agree, though think that Hendricks knock-out power may come into play. We`ll see. It sets up perfectly for a re-match for the Belt in the late summer or fall.

By this time, the UFC will pass random drug testing rules, GSP will be fully rested and return. Hendrick, void of any performance enhancing drugs (which he refused testing for last fight) and no longer fighting a shadow of GSP will get owned in the rematch and all will be right with the universe.
    Hendricks is a clean fighter, that`s 100%. None of that TRT crap (he`s too young and never done PEDs). He is actually a really good spokesman for the UFC, many have said. He is a good family guy, works hard, trains hard, is fun to watch, etc.

You know, I don`t know if I agree that GSP is coming back... The fact that the OCD stuff is coming out and the documentary is getting made, I just have a feeling that he knows that he won`t be able to train at his legendary level anymore. I feel like if he knows that he can`t train like he used to, then he won`t want to fight, even though his training could probably slack and he would beat most people signed to the promotion.

On top of that, he really does need to get his family situation under control. I can`t imagine all the things that he is going through, and it`s too bad that he is going through it but such is life, I suppose. I read some rumors that it is true he fathered a child and that, coupled with his dad, is part of the reason that he took time off. Of course, it is just rumors but the disability with OCD was a rumor, too, that turns out to be correct, so who knows. I am glad we got to watch him for so long, especially at the high level that he performed at. You remember in his early days when he was known to be the biggest partier in the promotion? I guess when he has that do everything at 100% personality, it carries over into every facet of life...

Anyways, I`m excited to go on Saturday and I will post some pictures when I do. Anyone else watching the fight?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Todd Helme;503405]The first UFC I ever attended was in Mobile, AL in 1999. Frank Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz.
    QUOTE]

I might be wrong but I think this fight my best friends father-in-law was the ref. His name is Steve Armstrong. My friends coach is actually Guy Mezger.

Thread Information