Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Winter wash or lack there of ....

My Daily driver was coated with Kenzo 6/2019 and was looking amazing.

Due to time and weather I last washed it thanksgiving weekend. The rain has been doing an ok job of cleaning it up. Boy do I need a good rain tonight. It’s just filthy.

I’d rather have a dirty car than swirl it up with a less than Autopian wash. What are your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter wash or lack there of ....

I RW as carefully as supplies and time will allow throughout winter. This includes heavy pre-treat and lots of MFs for the RW wipes. I will also typically re-apply some waterless wash or drying aid after the RW wipe and before final dry. It sounds like a lot of time, but I cleaned my filthy X5 last night in a little over an hour, taking my time.

Im sure I’m adding some swirls every time I touch, but I look forward to the once a year polish sessions. It’s give and take: clean car that turns heads in the dead of winter, in return for adding (hopefully very small) swirling, one week at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Contaminants can still bond to a coating, and water spots can still etch through the coating. Do you at least have a garage?

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have a garage slot of my DD. I’ve done this every year. A second with iron x and a good wash seem to do the trick. Last step with me a premier wipe down. Hoping to get through the 3 year lease without re polishing the car and re Coating it. Time will tell.

Keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Contaminants can still bond to a coating, and water spots can still etch through the coating. Do you at least have a garage?

Post Thanks / Like

Car what? Washing, you say? I`ve heard of that, but I haven`t done it for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

I "swirl" mine something fierce in winter washes running through the touchless tunnel wash and wiping it off to dry it somewhat when the car wash blowers do not remove all the rinse water. That and the fact that the car wash does not remove the traffic road film (TRF) from the salt de-icing binder (beet juice), so when I wipe the water off, I am also "cleaning" the TRF grime off at the same time. No, not Autopian standard, but it at least it looks "cleaner" than most vehicles that are "wearing" their winter ermine-white salt coat. Cleaner cars REALLY stand out when driven in the winter here in Northeast Wisconsin. But they do not stay "clean" driven for any length of time. Even on "dry", cold days salt dust kicked up from moving traffic can really dirty up a clean vehicle. So I deal with the swirls in the spring, which is like mid-May in Northeast Wisconsin. And by then the bugs come out in full force... and when the bugs are gone, it starts to snow (almost)....never-ending cleaning for any vehicle driven year-round in Wisconsin.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I "swirl" mine something fierce in winter washes running through the touchless tunnel wash and wiping it off to dry it somewhat when the car wash blowers do not remove all the rinse water. That and the fact that the car wash does not remove the traffic road film (TRF) from the salt de-icing binder (beet juice), so when I wipe the water off, I am also "cleaning" the TRF grime off at the same time. No, not Autopian standard, but it at least it looks "cleaner" than most vehicles that are "wearing" their winter ermine-white salt coat. Cleaner cars REALLY stand out when driven in the winter here in Northeast Wisconsin. But they do not stay "clean" driven for any length of time. Even on "dry", cold days salt dust kicked up from moving traffic can really dirty up a clean vehicle. So I deal with the swirls in the spring, which is like mid-May in Northeast Wisconsin. And by then the bugs come out in full force... and when the bugs are gone, it starts to snow (almost)....never-ending cleaning for any vehicle driven year-round in Wisconsin.

I say wash it, make it look clean and deal with the swirls later.Kinda being a hypocritical Obsessed-Compulsive Detailer (OCD), but in the winter, sometimes you have to give up something (swirls) to get something (a clean-looking vehicle).
    (So Captain Obvious, are you saying your OCD goes into hibernation in the winter??)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Winter wash or lack there of ....

Lonnie,

Do you just wipe down out of the touchless or do you use a waterless?

If no garage i would run through touchless and then Ammo frothe afterwards. I feel the foam does a good job of not marring the paint better than other rinseless waterless.

Touchless.
    Pre treat N-914
    Let sit 5 min
    Frothe
    Wipe with EE
    Wipe with Hydrate and Everest.
    Works great here in the NW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Generally just let it go thru winter, maybe a soap/rinse touchless tunnel just for grins but for the most part, its kinda a nice break from Spring/Summer routine.

Just clean off the `winter` come Spring...

Post Thanks / Like

I should note that this winter so far, I’ve been able to do normal washes every week or two since December. Plenty of above-freezing days in SW PA thus far. I’m honestly quite disappointed with the lack of snow we received as I was hoping to torture test my LSPs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

I say wash it, make it look clean and deal with the swirls later.Kinda being a hypocritical Obsessed-Compulsive Detailer (OCD), but in the winter, sometimes you have to give up something (swirls) to get something (a clean-looking vehicle).
    (So Captain Obvious, are you saying your OCD goes into hibernation in the winter??)
    Though I haven’t experienced the salt dust, I would equate the dirt dust to being similar as my car only stays dust free for a couple of hours after a wash...... What used to take days of dust accumulation in Dallas happens in hours here in Lubbock. There have even been times where the car has gotten so dusty on the one mile drive home from the coin-op that I need to do a rinseless wash just get rid of the water that has come out of the cracks and crevices. Hopefully I’ll be able to start saving for the Krause & Becker when semester ends.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, we`ve had a really mild winter here.

I basically don`t touch a vehicle unless I can give it (my version of) a proper wash. But on the vehicles wearing FK1000P, I`m doing incredibly well with my "Home Touchless" using the pressure washer, the Lonn Cleaning Gun (at about 120psi), and the Tornador Black (just blow it dry after deionized/distilled rinse). No, they don`t turn out Autopian that way, but are easily still "best in parking lot". I credit the FK1000P as the OCW`ed A8 really needs a proper wash every time.

But if something gets winter/salty-nasty, I clean it properly, including every inch of the undercarriage.

Post Thanks / Like

And I bet, Accumulator, you always get them to turn out marring free.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    And I bet, Accumulator, you always get them to turn out marring free.
    Close enough for me, and I *am* awfully particular I can honestly say that my friends` Concours champs aren`t as good as my beaters, not even close. Ditto for the cars I`ve seen at shows.

But that`s just *my* experience...I gather there really are people who own, or see cars at shows/concourses, that don`t need significant correction, but that`s simply not *my* experience. It`s as if some Autopians live in a parallel universe or something..I simply *NEVER* see cars with flawless paint. Never. That`s one reason I quit going to car shows, the condition of the entries just depressed me (I wanted to carnap the cool ones and detail `em right).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    But if something gets winter/salty-nasty, I clean it properly, including every inch of the undercarriage.
    Beast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information