Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gas prices are high in Europe because the governments tax gas more than the US does. Federal tax is 18.4 cents per gallon. State taxes vary. The government likes petroleum taxes because they are easier to collect than many other taxes. Heres an idea, get rid of the income tax and increase fuel taxes. It would encourage fuel efficiency. The problem with the income tax is that it is hard to collect. It relies on the honesty (and fear) of the public. The downside? It could effect economic growth. No one is sure.
    Here is a list of state gas taxes: http://www.lmoga.com/taxrates.htm
    Experte credite: Illigitimati non carborundum

Post Thanks / Like
    All premium gas is used for is to increase octane to prevent engine knock. It doesn`t give better gas mileage. I read an article in USA Today that quoted the chairman of the gas formulation committee of the SAE. He said that his car specifies premium and he didn`t bother. He said that modern cars have computer systems that automatically compensate. He views it as a waste of money. Modern cars wasn`t defined, but I assume any car made from 92 on. I have a 95 Volvo. After I read the article I switched and haven`t had any knocking problems. Of course, you still have to keep your car tuned. If you`re driving an older high performance car, you still need it.
    Experte credite: Illigitimati non carborundum

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in Bournemouth on the south coast of England, we are paying the equivilent of $6.07 per US gallon, so think yourselves very lucky. The reason why petrol is so expensive is that for every litre sold 80% of the price is TAX and the transport system here is very poor, if you do not own a car, you are really stuffed.

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    gas here NC is bout $1.97 for Reg. and around bout $2.20 for Prem. But its like food you got to have it!!!!:angry
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Palm Beach country: Regular gas climbing to almost $2.05 now, Premium as high as $2.39

I dont about mpg, but i can definately feel a difference in my wallet (especially because im mobile and commute quite a bit during the week).
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    gas here in the uk is $6.77 eqivelent although the US gallon is SLIGHTLY smaller

even at $3.00 a gallon It`s a bargain and given todays events in saudi your in for a real hit.
    The only advice I can give is dump the SUV and discover cornering again, trust me .
    It`s much more fun watching the mullet dance over the back of your shoulder in the mirror than flailing up the nose of the guy in the back seat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information