Post Thanks / Like

vehicle registration..

i was wondering so my dad recently purchased a used car but took a loan and offcourse paying the bank monthly. He also has car insurance. But i dont see any vehicle registration paper in the car. I mean he still paying the bank so technically the "owner" is bank. I understand that once all the payments is made only then the the registration paper will be handed to dad. Is that so?
    So my question is if the cops pulls him over and ask for registration and insurance . Since he has insurance he will show that but for the registration would he has to show some documents from the dealership where he purchased the car?
    how does it works. i hope i made sense...thanks
    Lexus Rx300

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure how things work in Canada so I can`t really offer any real info for you.

In Texas cars are titled with the state (not all states use paper titles). When you purchase a car paper work goes to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and ownership is transferred over to the new owner. If you finance the vehicle the finance company is added to the title as a lien holder. Once the paper work is processed a paper title is printed and mailed to the finance company to hold until the loan is paid in full. Once this happens the finance company will have a designated person sign a place on the title releasing the lien and either sent back to the DMV to remove the lien or mailed to the owner to handle themselves. That is a simplified version of the process

In Texas we have to purchase a registration sticker annually. About a month in advance we receive a notice in the mail and we can go to a designated office to purchase our new registration sticker. That paperwork and the sticker are proof of registration. The sticker is on the windshield of the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: vehicle registration..

As has been said, don`t know how it works in Canada. Registration and title are entirely different things in my state. The bank might be the owner but the vehicle is registered to you. Here you can`t have a vehicle registered unless it is insured. The primary name on the insurance might be a relative but I`m thinking you would have to be listed as well. Pretty much the same as Rocket has stated.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

ah i forgot to mention. This is actually in Texas (houston). ya hes there. So i wanted to make sure hes safe incase cops pull him over. So what Robert is saying makes sense. And dad said that he has the blue sticker with expiration year and month in front window. He said he received in mail and he applied in to glass.
    So when you said "that paperwork" is that the paper that came with the sticker ? He didnt go to any office ( i think) he just paid it by card.
    So i guess that paper that came with the blue sticker should both be on car along with insurance? thanks
    Lexus Rx300

Post Thanks / Like

The bank holds the title, but you still have to register the vehicle in the state (or country) in which it will reside. You will have to pay a percentage of the amount paid in taxes along with yearly registration fees.

What does your father say about all of this? Is he currently running bogus tags?

Thread Information