Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hype or Not?

Post Thanks / Like

Hype or Not?

Over the years I have posted on many detail forums. I find one thing very consistence.

That either a product, process or equipment take on a almost hype level.

Where the posters all rally around whatever it is.

I then become suspect especially if, its a product or equipment. I wonder is this really as good as it being claimed or is it hype?

In the years of testing different products, I`ve read about on forums, very few have mounted up to some of the hype they where receiving online.

Anyone else have a comment about this?

I would also like to add that I am NOT talking about this forum specific, but in general of all detail forums.

Thanks
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I see where you are coming from. I can`t say I`ve ever tried a boutique product that didn`t do what it was supposed to do. It is usually the price of the product that keeps me from sticking with it.

Maybe I have just been lucky with the stuff I`ve tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hype or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by tw33k2514 View Post
    I see where you are coming from. I can`t say I`ve ever tried a boutique product that didn`t do what it was supposed to do. It is usually the price of the product that keeps me from sticking with it.

Maybe I have just been lucky with the stuff I`ve tried.
    One that came to mind for me was Wolfgang. I was selected to field test some of the products. After all the hype and all I was think this was going to be the next holy grail of products. Where it did do a great job, i didn`t think the cost justified it for the results.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree with you on Wolfgang. Pinnacle is the same way. They both work great, but I only buy them if they are on BOGO.

Post Thanks / Like

In would also add that when I started reading about Porter Cable (orbital buffers) Everyone at the time was talking huge about them. I ended up getting a De Walt orbital, still have it. At the time I was used to a rotary and very comfortable with it. All that said the PC was and for the most part still a product spreader for me. Where I know you can do some paint correction, its more work for me rather than pull out the rotary.

Its another reason I didn`t buy into Flex and or dual head polishers.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I think people just get excited over a new product .Just human nature.

This is why I like to let a few months pass and hear what people say about it then ,after they have given it more time and used it on several cars ,to get a more realistic and honest reveiw.

I dont get too excited about new products anymore and have learned to be patient before buying something .

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Post.

As humans we buy these new products and don`t want to admit that we wasted our money most times. What I think really makes a product stand out is when I purchase it again or if I unconciously used it repeatedly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Cool Post.

As humans we buy these new products and don`t want to admit that we wasted our money most times. What I think really makes a product stand out is when I purchase it again or if I unconciously used it repeatedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    I think people just get excited over a new product .Just human nature.

This is why I like to let a few months pass and hear what people say about it then ,after they have given it more time and used it on several cars ,to get a more realistic and honest reveiw.

I dont get too excited about new products anymore and have learned to be patient before buying something .
    This is true of me for sure.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its easier for those that are more "casual" users to buy the "flavor of the month" -"Next Best Detailing _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , and those of us that do this for a living, part-time, etc., to have to as so aptly said already, - wait longer, to get a more realistic and honest review..

There are many things that have come and gone over all the years we have been on Forums, and while it is really nice to be entertained with new things all the time, how it is going to fit/work/pay for the additional cost of it/last/etc/ is what the long-term-Detailers probably look at more often before pulling the trigger...

I personally only look for quality, well made and engineered products that have a long successful track record, that are affordable, and can help me do my work quicker and better.

It also helps to keep up with the Industry trends and methods used at the Assembly Line levels - the Boat, Airplane, and Auto Industry people have already done a huge amount of R&D on what works best for them at the paint/gelcoat/etc/ level, and its nice to see that after all the new "technology" being offered to people that like to care for the paint, interior, exterior, etc., of their automobiles, they have not really gone out very far to embrace all the new things out there. Must fit the rule - if it ain`t broken, don`t fix it"....

Dan F

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I too get excited, but for something else.............l
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    I too get excited, but for something else.............l
    Wonder what?

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I think its easier for those that are more "casual" users to buy the "flavor of the month" -"Next Best Detailing _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , and those of us that do this for a living, part-time, etc., to have to as so aptly said already, - wait longer, to get a more realistic and honest review..

Dan F
    I think this hits it very well, the decisions I would make if this was my profession vs the "fun" decisions I make now, to play around with stuff, are completley different.

If I was a pro, it would come down to cost/ease of us vs gloss. As it is now, I can play around and see the diff in products, but they are all pretty good. The dockbox test I am doing right now in the boat section here is a good example of how I would make two diff decisions if I was pro or consumer. My box is testing Reejex/Duragloss/UPGP. They are all wearing almost identical after 30 days , but the duragloss is about 60% cheaper!

So as a consumer I might go for the UPGP, but as a pro, I`d be a duragloss user.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

One product that this has happened to me on is Permanon Platinum.

It was to be a topper to almost any thing that would give you the water sheeting and shedding abilities of all of the new coatings but be super easy to use. You just mix the concentrate at the proper ratio and spray it onto a vehicle. you could then simply rinse or blow it off. An you were to be left with a nano like coating that was to last 4-6 months.

Well when you first apply it the hydrophobic action is amazing. You can spray a cat with water and simply blow it dry. The dust attraction is almost zero. An it last for this for awhile. But it wears off much quicker that the advertised lifespan and any kind of abrasion i.e. wipers on a windshield remove it almost instantly. In my experience the hydrophobic action only last for a month or 2 but that is a far cry from 4-6 IMO. I mean Optimum Car wax has lasted longer for me.

I will say it is nice to be able to apply it and blow it off with a master-blaster. This help to save the paint from swirls and scratches from needless touching, but it is to expensive for the lack of durability I have received IMO. I would rather take extra time and apply a higher quality sealant to get better durability.

I hear and see what some of you are saying about other boutique brands and agree. Most of the time the extra cost doesn`t justify the use because there is almost always something better or cheaper. But most of the boutique brands are catering to the enthusiast that is usually out to have and use only the best. And usually money is no object and so if someone can justify the cost in their own mind; I say good for them. But for me at some point I look at it and say is it really $x.xx better than another product?

Post Thanks / Like

Very good point Glen on the DG.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, I almost got Permanon. From What I heard one to two months is great durability from it. Most people have it lasting less than that.

I tend to get products that have been out a while and have been tested over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information