Thread: New tire review

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for a boring tire story, but I`m just that impressed with my new tires I had to share.

I just bought a new set of tires for my ride after running the last set into the ground. I replaced my old Goodrich Traction T/As with a set of General Altimax HPs from Tire Rack. So far I only have about 400 miles on these tires but they have already gone through two heavy snowstorms and I have to say for "only" being listed as a `Grand Touring All-Season` tire, they make me feel like I have a 4 wheel drive with studded winter tires.

The dry road ride is smooth and quiet and you feel connected to the road and the wet road ride is the same, no fuss no muss, just a solid feel that inspires confidence.

The snow traction is where these things shine despite having to drive through a storm that was coming down so hard my wipers were clogging up with ice (6+ inches of snow on the ground), I never felt them slip or slide or make me feel like I was going to lose control. Even on some of the areas that had been partially cleared and I would change lanes to go around a slower car, I couldn`t feel the difference when I would pass over the "ruts" of heavy snow and clear pavement, the car stayed solid the whole time the only difference I could tell was a change in the sound coming from the tires. I have a 46 mile one way trip to work and I was relaxed the whole time despite the weather. Even once I got home, getting into my driveway with the mound of snow left across the entrance by the city plow was no big deal and it was so thick, my undercarriage scraped going across it.

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    don,

thanks.. I am looking for a set of tires for my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler
    don,

thanks.. I am looking for a set of tires for my car.

What ever you decide to get, get them from Tire Rack. The best price I could get for these tires locally was about $100 per tire, TR has them for $66 each So I got all 4 with shipping for $306
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Don M
    What ever you decide to get, get them from Tire Rack. The best price I could get for these tires locally was about $100 per tire, TR has them for $66 each So I got all 4 with shipping for $306

Many places that sell tires understandably refuse to mount stuff bought elsewhere. Did you use one of TR`s recommended installers?

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell
    Many places that sell tires understandably refuse to mount stuff bought elsewhere. Did you use one of TR`s recommended installers?

TL

No, I went to Ravenna Auto Body who didn`t have an issue at all (I do a lot of business with them). I didn`t look to see where a preferred installer was in my area. I don`t think most service stations would care either.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered my wife new tires from Tire Rack. I got the Michelin LTX M/S2 for her Santa Fe. Couldnt beat the pricing and shipped for only $47. They have good treadwear, traction and temp ratings. I have Michelin on my car, which they came with when I bought it and are showing no signs of wear at 10,000 miles.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I went to Ravenna Auto Body who didn`t have an issue at all (I do a lot of business with them). I didn`t look to see where a preferred installer was in my area. I don`t think most service stations would care either.

Although there`s others it seems most Flynn`s locations are Tire Rack preferred installers. They have agreed-on pricing with TR for mount n balance and accept drop-shipments directly from TR. I haven`t used `em but I expect to next time I`m due for rubber.

Last time I got some Firestone All-Terrains for the 4x4 I used the store in Kent. They had a buy-3-get-1-free promo with free mount n balance. Good work, got treated right. Any other time I went there all the faces were different and I had to go back for rebalance twice. Plus even if you leave a lug wrench on the seat and tip the tech to hand-torque the lugs they still end up whacking the crap out of `em with an impact wrench. Makes it a lot of fun to break `em free next time you want to pull a wheel! :frusty:

Ravenna AB do mount n balance routinely or just cuz they know you`re a swell guy?

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell

Ravenna AB do mount n balance routinely or just cuz they know you`re a swell guy?

TL

Not only are they a body shop, they do regular vehicle work too even though they don`t advertise it on their web site. I had them replace my wheel bearings and I`ve seen other customers come in for other mechanical work. You just have to make an appointment like anywhere else.

ravenna autobody
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    General is making some fantastic tires right now. 5 years ago I would have laughed at the thought of buying Generals, but a couple years ago I put a set of the Exclaim UHP`s on our `05 Mazda3 hatchback and absolutely loved them. I also had my mother get the Altimax`s on her Solara convertible and they are great. Within the next 6 months, I plan to put the General Grabber AT2`s on my `04 Colorado.

General tires provide great "bang for the buck" when you look at how well their tires perform vs. how much they cost.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Not only are they a body shop, they do regular vehicle work too even though they don`t advertise it on their web site. I had them replace my wheel bearings and I`ve seen other customers come in for other mechanical work. You just have to make an appointment like anywhere else.

ravenna autobody

Thanks, I`ll give `em a look when the time comes.

Speaking of mounting and balancing tires.... howzcum the manufacturers are still sticking wheel weights on the outside lips of wheels? The coating or finish invariably goes to crap around the weight. Is their some reason that everything shouldn`t use inner-barrel, stickon weights?

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Really happy with the Bridgestone Potenza RE-760 Sports I had on my other Maxima, amazing grip, long wearing and quiet for a UHP summer tire. Pretty sure they`d be downright scary on snow or ice though. :lol
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have Hankook Evo V-12 Ultra High Performance tires. After 12k miles I have to say that I will definitely be buying another set the next time around. For UHP they are quiet, ride very comfortably, and have good grip. Not a track tire but for about $100-$120 each depending on the size they are the best bang for the buck you will find.

I liked the Bridgestone RE-960 all season UHP tires but they cost so much more it just wasn`t worth the extra cash. The only thing they did better than my Hankooks was wet weather traction....never had a UHP tire better in the rain than the RE-960.

Post Thanks / Like
    how are these tires with stickiness to the road?? I need some decent tires. I been using Sumo Tumo`s kinda sticky for the streets. Looking for some good decent tires that are sticky and have a decent life span

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyD
    how are these tires with stickiness to the road?? I need some decent tires. I been using Sumo Tumo`s kinda sticky for the streets. Looking for some good decent tires that are sticky and have a decent life span

They seem to stick really well, the car I have isn`t the greatest for handling (Suzuki Aerio), but it`s holding it`s own well enough. Don`t know about the treadlife yet as I`ve only put about 1200 miles on them.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Thread Information