Thread: Shopping Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t seen a JC Whitney catalog in years - but one arrived in my mail yesterday. I happened to spot this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/SearchCatCo...questid=106251

(If that doesn`t work, go to http://www.jcwhitney.com and enter 81ZX7238A in the search box. ) this is basically a fine plane for shaving down high spots prior to polishing. Looks to me like it might actually work! Anyone have experience with this?

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Specially honed teeth to gently shave away high spots on painted finishes without gouging or digging into the coated surface!</blockquote>I don`t want any teeth anywhere near my paint, be it specially honed or not. I`ll do it the long way with 1500 / 2000 sandpaper, thanks.

I am also skeptical / suspicous because there is no true picture, only a poor drawing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its called a nib file and they`re used everyday in a paint shop. They can be pretty handy.
    Anyone got a `96 Impala SS for sale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Adamah is correct, i use one when i do paint work, their cool.
    Andre`

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    here`s the link

http://www.jcwhitney.com/SearchCatCo...questid=123588

I get the concept seems okay only if the little side guards don`t scratch the paint.
    It is difficult to sand flat and this thing "supposedly" uses the flat parts and the squareness of the tool to keep it perpendicular and cut off just above (and not below) the raised "patch"

Like I said cool concept, if it does work like others have suggested. I was just wondering how smooth the shaving leaves it.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Puterbum - there is no way you can sand a high spot and leave the surrounding paint untouched. With a stiff block you can knock the high spot down but you`re going to sand an area much larger than the high spot to get it done. If this thing works, (and according to some of the other responses it does) it shaves the high spot down while riding over the surface - and will dramatically reduce the sanding required. In principle, it makes a lot of sense. If the product is a piece of junk, it won`t work well. But if the frame surfaces are nicely polished with rounded outer edges so they won`t grab and scratch, and the blades are only a thou or so above, it might work great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nib files work very well for their intended use. They reduce the amount of sanding needed on paint flaws (runs, dust nibs, etc). I`ve never used them for touching up chip repairs because I`ve never built the touchup paint high enough to warrant using one but I assume they`d work just fine. If you want to try one I`d suggest going to an automotive paint supply store and getting a good one. Forget the JCWhitney POS.
    Anyone got a `96 Impala SS for sale?

Post Thanks / Like

Shopping Cart

For some reason the shopping cart isnt working with Firefox, but works with Internet Explorer. Anyone else having issues?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DetailDan View Post
    For some reason the shopping cart isnt working with Firefox, but works with Internet Explorer. Anyone else having issues?
    try chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Th0001
    **** dose not mean Blackfire

Thread Information