Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do you feel about the salesman coming with you for the test drive? Here is my experience the last time we test drove cars.

We were buying a replacement for the wife`s Explorer. She wanted to test drive another Explorer, a Grand Cherokee and a Volvo V70 Cross Country wagon.

At the Volvo store, we were greeted in the lot by the owner of the dealership. He asked us for our licenses, so he could photocopy them, then he handed us the keys and said "have fun!" I loved the Volvo... my wife didn`t.

At the Ford store, the same experience! We both liked the Explorer.

On the day we went to the local Jeep store (it was a Friday), we had one hell of a thunderstorm come through the area in the morning while the wife was on her way to work. The street where my wife works was torn up prior to repaving, so the Explorer got real grungy. My F-150 was in the shop for a minor repair so she picked me up on her lunch break and we went to the dealership. It was casual Friday at my wife`s place of employment (she`s an administrative assistant at a medical technology company), and I had been doing yard work, so I was in "yard work" clothes..old sweatshirt, old jeans with a hole in the knee, lawnmowing sneakers, etc.

The salesman first approached us and introduced himself. We said we wanted to take a Jeep Grand Cherokee out for a test drive. he asked us what we were driving presently and I pointed out the poor, mud splattered 1992 Explorer. He then stated "well, you know, these SUVs sell in the $30K and up range"....as if I couldn`t afford to buy one. I was so ticked off that I wanted to leave right then and there, but the wife wanted to drive it, so he got the dealer plate and attached it to the car. He got in the front seat and off we went. We drove about a half a mile and he stated "okay, turn around and head back". I asked him why and he said "We are too busy...if you want to do a "real test drive", you have to make an appointment!"

My blood pressure was in the stratosphere at that point! I had my wife stop the Jeep and we switched places. I got in and continued away from the dealership!

"Where are you going, I said turn back!"

"I am going back, I`m taking a different route!"

We liked the Jeep, hated the salesman. We went to another Jeep dealership in the area the next day who had exactly what we were looking for. We bought it that morning and picked it up on Monday.

Just for laughs, I called the 1st Jeep store and made an appointment with the jerk salesman for a "proper test drive".

We pulled into the lot with the new Jeep. The salesman was waiting for us and said "what`s going on here?"

Before I could answer, my wife stated "I just wanted to let you know that when you treat people like crap, they will go elsewhere...by the way, our experience with you has been emailed to everyone in my company...have a nice day!"

The salesman had this stupid look on his face...and I added " I checked your website and emailed your manager!"

Post Thanks / Like
    :bounce :bounce LOL Hahahahahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent! There`s nothing better than payback!:up

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

Should have made sure he remembered who you were.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL!! good one Gonzo. :up
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you never need their service dept but job well done!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hehe! One of the best stories I`ve read here in a long while. Great work Gonzo. Laters

Post Thanks / Like
    Great story!!!
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess my Name...

I wouldn`t go to their service department. Their price for an oil change was outrageous! I had called the service department to get a price on an oil change. They quoted an lube/oil/filter for a Grand Cherokee would be about $45 ... I asked why it was so expensive (as the dealer I bought the Jeep from charges $25) "well, we use a special brand of lube and oil custom formulated for Jeeps, there is also a hazardous material waste disposal fee...."

Which is total Bovine Scatology...they have 55 gallon drums of Mobil motor oil in the service bay ( I could see the price for Mobil 1 synthetic, but they use conventional motor oil) and they have a waste oil heating unit in their garage area!

They do offer to wash your vehcile for you when it comes in for service...I saw the "detailer" drop a sponge onto the ground, pick it up and then proceed to wash a black Chrysler Concorde with it! No thank you, I will drive the ten miles to the dealership I bought the Jeep from for my service work.

Good job Gonzo, which jeep dealer did you go to, Midway or Dan`s jeep?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great story! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    That was classic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, excellent reading right there.
    2000 Mustang V6/5-Speed
    2002 PT Cruiser Limited

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! I love that!!

I went to test-drive a jeep cherokee (regular) at a dealer one time, and the salesman wanted to ride along, saying "I just want to be able to point out some of the key features of the vehicle to you while you drive".... I said "no thanks, I`m not as dumb as you think I look.... I`ve been driving vehicles for 3 years now, and if I can`t figure out how to work this car by myself, I am not interested in buying it."

that shut him up real quick. (BTW this is why I ended up with the blazer.)

Post Thanks / Like

Attention Todd Helme!

LOL, I just realized we are in the middle of February now and you still have a candy cane avatar....I think it`s time for a new one with Easter being right around the corner. Candy Cane

Cheers buddy!
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information