Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    As I was passing Halfords in Solihull today I thought I`d pop in for a look, my own local branch is smaller and as it`s in the country and only seems to stock stuff for Farmer Jones to clean his tractor.

I was surprised to find that they have added both Microfibre towels and clay bars to their range. I don`t know if this is news to anyone or if they`ve done this for ages and my branch just hasn`t received the updated stock list yet, I think they still use pigeon post around here. I didn`t bother asking any of the staff if these were new products as most of them looked as if they were due their afternoon bottle and burping, why aren`t these kids in school on a weekday?

The MFT (product number: 680140) was £2.49 it`s 75% polyester 25% Polyamide Fibre and was made in Korea.

The "Surface Cleansing Bar" (product number 635797) was £1.67 reduced from £3.33 weighs 300* and was made in Japan. Looks like they might be trying to offload this and end the product line.

I bought one of each just to try them out although they were so cheap I just can`t believe they`ll be any good, so they`ll get tried on the family beater. I`ll let you know how I get on but I`m afraid any review won`t be terribly subjective as I have never used either product type before so I have nothing to compare them to.

If anyone has already tried these with unpleasant results please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Â`
    <---

<strong class=`bbc`>"Ultra-Mild Abrasive?"[/b]

"clay-based " kind of scares me, and that MF looks like a standard, low-quality store MF. I am shipping some high-quality MF to the UK tomorrow (I promise!!!!! Sorry S!) so PM me if you want to know how much it`d cost for you to get in on the Neatitems Group buy (Abay forum).

You may wish to contact Lowejackson for more info, he has found One Grand and Autoglym products in Europe. There are also many helpful members willing to ship products out of the country for no charge but the shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simon,

I`ve used the mf towels and they`re not too bad. I must admit "claying" a car fills me with dread.

I`m waiting for an order from Klassedirect, which includes a couple of MF, though you can order "miracle towels" from Meguiars.co.uk

Hope this is of help, Peter :up

Post Thanks / Like
    The Halfords MF towels are ok, not great but an "abrasive" clay bar does not sound that good. I got my clay bar from 3M, cost around 15 pounds. I order it from some local factor agent, took a few days to turn up.

Steven

Alfa 164

PS Justin, no problem, just send the stuff when you get time (plus some Zaino, Klasse and Blackfire and oh yes a PC )

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Peter,

I think your right to stay away from the claying bar, I tried it today and was not impressed. The Halfords bar is about 5 inches long and one inch thick. Despite leaving the package in my pocket for about an hour prior to use the bar remained rock hard and only really worked on flat panels. It did remove some debris, didn`t smear and did not scratch the paintwork however I couldn`t use it on any curved panels for fear of applying uneven pressure and marking the paint. I think I`ll wait until I can get hold of some clay magic before trying again.

Thanks for the info on the MFT, I tried mine today and whilst it was far better than the cloths we`ve had available over here previously I didn`t get the results I`d expected from reading about MFTs on the forum. I`m going to try and get hold of some towels from puterbum`s group buy and compare it against those, it may simply be that my expectations were too high. I`ll let you know how I get on with the US towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Lowejackson [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>The Halfords MF towels are ok, not great but an "abrasive" clay bar does not sound that good. I got my clay bar from 3M, cost around 15 pounds. I order it from some local factor agent, took a few days to turn up.

Steven
    Alfa 164

[/b]</blockquote>
    Hi Steven,

The bar wasn`t much use at all but it definitely wasn`t abrasive, I suspect the marketing dept just put that on the package in the belief that most people won`t believe that any product can remove debris that polish can`t if it doesn`t abrade. I should think that 99.9% of people in the UK have never heard of "claying" a car, I know I hadn`t until I found this forum. Which make of bar did you get in the end, 3M?

By the way, you were right about the Blitz wax, I got my delivery from Frosts today and tried it this morning........yum:up

Post Thanks / Like

<strong class=`bbc`>The Halfords MF towels are ok, not great but an "abrasive" clay bar does not sound that good. I got my clay bar from 3M, cost around 15 pounds. I order it from some local factor agent, took a few days to turn up.

Steven
    Alfa 164

PS Justin, no problem, just send the stuff when you get time (plus some Zaino, Klasse and Blackfire and oh yes a PC ) [/b]</blockquote>Hey Steven,

I finally sent the towels and polish applicators today, but did not send Klasse as I thought you didn`t want it? Let me know, I`d still be happy to send you some .

Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    Simon

The 3M clay part number is 38070. I am sure most motor factors can order this stuff for you. Many on this forum use a Quick Detailer with the clay, I think it was BradB who said you could also use shampoo (twice the normal dose with water).

Watch out for the Halfords heavy duty MFT, it is ok for engines and suspension stuff, but dont even try to use it on paintwork (ask me how I found out )

Justin

Klasse - wow that would be great

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear!

What`s all this about Halford`s heavy duty MF? I`ve been using them for about 8 months on everything(yes-including paint!) and I wondered what the problem was. I can`t say I`ve found anything wrong with them apart from them being a bit small and thin. The normal ones I found worse.

Many Thanks, Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter, if your not having any problems with the heavy duty MF stuff dont worry. Maybe my Alfa has very soft paint as I could see all the marks caused by these towels.

Steven

Alfa 164

get your mf towels from ARD electronics visit www. ard.co.uk

they are cheap but good - otherwise i would never use it on the bentleys.

when u visit request a catalog - or do a search.

Post Thanks / Like

<strong class=`bbc`>Maybe my Alfa has very soft paint as I could see all the marks caused by these towels.

Steven
    Alfa 164 [/b]</blockquote>I`ll second that statement .

Post Thanks / Like
    ARD Electronics, looks like they are about to cease trading

Try Yosteves towels or the group buy run by Puterbum

Steven

Alfa 164

Where did u hear that?/?? ARD are a huge company with a turnover over £1.8bn -

sorry the website id www.ardelectronics.com

p.s Simon i have a sister in warwickshire - in leamington spa - nice town

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information