Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used my Mother`s Clay bar on 3 cars already, and I`d like to use it for another 3 cars that I`m going to detail. How many uses do these bars typically get? How do you guys tell when it`s time to throw out the old clay an buy a new one?

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose it depends on how contaminated each car is that you clay. When the bar becomes so soiled that it`s still dirty after folding and kneading multiple times, then it`s time for a new bar. If you are claying all new cars, ONE bar would probably last quite a while. But, if you`re claying dirty, unkept cars, then one bar may last just only every few cars. It just depends on the condition of the cars and the quality of the bar as to how long it will last...IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do as BRad does and tear off pieces and clay with them then when done throw em out.

CLay is hard to tell when it is full of crap....better to err on the safe side.

Post Thanks / Like
    It shouldn`t be that hard, I would use it until it`s dirty, after half a car I would start looking at the area you just clayed, if it is not any smoother or if the clay is inducing swirls/scratches, you know it`s time for a new peice or a new bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Pinnacle Poly Clay instructions say that it is good for 5 or 6 cars. Depending on how bad the car really needs it I would guess. It is really hard to say how many cars exactly it will do. Maybe just one really bad car or ten not so bad cars. It all depends. The instructions also say that when the clay is dirty then throw it away. Hmmmm.... That is open for translation. I`d say throw it away when you feel that it might be dirty enough to be counter productive to keep using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Three cars with one bar - and haven`t dropped it one time??? I don`t believe it! I`ll bet $5 you have dropped it and you are still using it. If you get six uses out of it, you are a better (or at least less clumsy) man than I.

The only time I managed to have a clay bar even remotely able to be reused beyond one vehicle is when I clayed the then-brand-new vette. I still have it in a jar for emergency use and to show what a clay bar looks like when it`s about shot.

I used two bars on my Expedition alone. I dropped the first one but it wasn`t looking so good anyway. Felt much better going to a new one to finish up. I used the dropped one on the wheels later after cleaning it up some.

I am going to start using Brad`s method from now on.
    2002 Torch Red Corvette convertible

1997 Red/Tan Expedition

1993 Red Eclipse (wife`s)

Zaino - tried it...loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I only used clay once, it was Meguiars and I used it on about half of my rear spoiler and after a few of the "skid marks" it left I just stopped and threw it away.

I was always under the impression that a clay bar would only last one time, then I see on the fourms people are saying 6 cars. Then Cybercowboy says your all bogus :-)

Are we throwing them away too soon, that what it seems like....

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by joed1228 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`> Are we throwing them away too soon, that what it seems like.... [/b]</blockquote>
    I`ll repeat what has already been said a half dozen times, it depends on how bad the car is that you are working on. Period, end of story.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by joed1228 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I only used clay once, it was Meguiars and I used it on about half of my rear spoiler and after a few of the "skid marks" it left I just stopped and threw it away. [/b]</blockquote>
    joed, unfortunately you used the worst clay out there, imo. meguiars is the most streaky clay i`ve used and it just doesn`t have that much cleaning power. i like mothers and clay magic. you should try it with another brand and i think you`ll be surprised at how smooth it will make your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Cybercowboy [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Three cars with one bar - and haven`t dropped it one time??? I don`t believe it! I`ll bet $5 you have dropped it and you are still using it. If you get six uses out of it, you are a better (or at least less clumsy) man than I.[/b]</blockquote>
    Really! I have used the same bar on 3 cars But I know of a few times when I almost dropped it, I couldn`t believe my reflexes were that fast. I guess that`s what happens when the instructions say "Throw the bar away if it falls on the ground". Heck, I paid $15+ for that clay bar, I`m going to take care of it till it`s not able to perform.

PS: Any football fans know about the Raiders-Steelers "Immaculate Reception"? Well, I made sure that the clay bar did not touch the ground when I caught it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Franco Harris rules!!:p
    blackrex

Sandstone Pearl Lexus GX 470

Black Pearl WRX (R.I.P.)

Ocean Blue 911

Alpine M3 :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    The only bar I ever had really slip is Mothers when using a soap solution.

The clay magic has not slipped. I spray solution...rub back and forth with clay... Grab Mf and wipe dry...

then put everything down accept clay and then I knead away like a kid with PLayDOH!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you belong to that snake-handling, er, clay-handling religion by chance??? :scared

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys

Would you be able to polish before claying, to extend its life?

Or would polishing grind in contaminants clay would normal remove before hand?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Shane [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Guys

Would you be able to polish before claying, to extend its life?

Or would polishing grind in contaminants clay would normal remove before hand?

Cheers [/b]</blockquote>
    Any contaminents that you remove from the finish before claying will extend the life of the clay. Kind of like rinsing your dishes before you put them in the dishwasher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information