Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, this is my first post. I bought the Mothers Clay Bar and used it on our `00 BMW alpine white 328Ci. This thing is amazing. It lifted all the “rough†invisible contaminants. However, it didn`t pick up most of the visible contaminants (paint overspray & debris). It appears the contaminants are in the clear coat and not above. I didn`t feel any rough spot when I rubbed my hand over these visible contaminants. I tried my favorite Meguiars Body Scrub Paint Cleaner but that didn`t help either. I called my local car detailer and he said my car probably needs an "acid bath". I didn`t ask him what it was as he was busy at the time but assured me it would do the trick. The word “acid†worries me. Anyone know what an "acid bath" is an anyone know how I can get rid of these visible contaminants?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally when detailers mention acid bath it refers to applying vinegar to the paint to remove water spot deposits of minerals. However in this case I am not so sure. It could involve something more like ABC which you can get on your own.

Vinegar will not affect paint overspray in any way. Mineral spirits might, but I`d rather go for a harsher clay first. Try Clay Magic Red Clay or Meguiars Overspray clay (not the OTC $10 clay, the bodyshop clay). Or you can take it to the detailer if you really want to.......

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something like Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion and good old fashioned elbow grease would get of the rail rust and oxidation specs you are probably speaking of. Klasse All in One might also do the trick since it has cleaning abilities. I would check them out. I know BW does the same as me and tries to remove all those little specs. I`ve spent hours with PPCL on my silver car.

Ron would say to use his ABC neutralization system. Part A is an acid bath, B is a base bath, and C is a a neutralizer/car wash. It might actually be what your dealer is speaking of since Auto Internation caters to the Big 3 automakers. Their site its www.autoint.com BTW.

Welcome to the board, there`s a lot to be learned here, stick around
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Kenneth,

Welcome, I see you followed the thread from the M5 Board, this is a terrific Board, very respectful and most helpful! Steve`s suggestions are right on target, I would try them before more drastic measures.

Post Thanks / Like
    finish up the prep with pinnacle paint cleansing lotion. That should do the trick. What finish wax or sealant do you intend to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    In the old days, before high solid clears, detailers and dealerships used a solution of oxalic acid and water, with a little soap to remove ferrous metal and other contaminates from automotive paint surfaces.

With the introduction of the high solid clears and many changes in the materials used for producing trim parts, the use of the oxalic acid solution created serious concerns.

One was that many, many times, the clear would start to exhibit "cloudiness" and in a year of less start to "powder" as the resin system was breaking apart. Many of the exterior trim parts became discolored as well.

Which is why there are very few still using this method. There are old, outdated advisories stating to use an oxalic solution, but they have either been revised or recended and most require the use of the ABC system today when certain conditions are present.

Some manufacturers recommend the use of clay as the first step in attempting to remove some contaminates, but as they have found, a paint/trim friendly chemical solution is often required.

Ketch

"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    James and all,

Thanks for the warm welcomes and responses. Since the Mothers clay bar didn`t do the trick, I`ll try the Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion next. I`ll use the ABC method as a last resort.

Later,

Kenneth

Post Thanks / Like
    Kenneth,

Listen to Ron. He knows what he is saying.

Also, I`ve used ABC. I can tell you from my own personal experience that the system is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed with Bill. Ron definately knows what he`s saying, which is why its great to have him back posting.:up Many here seem to have the idea that the ABC system is hard to use and can cause harm on the car. Reallly, the ABC system is easy to use, takes up less time, and wont do harm to the paint. The worst that can happen is if you let the solutoin sit out in the sunlight on a hot day and let it completely dry, and it will streak, which might just come off with the "c" car wash, or need slight polishing like AIO or BF polish, whichyou are probably going to do anyway, since you are going to put more protection on.

Post Thanks / Like
    This forum is <strong class=`bbc`>AWESOME[/b]. It is always a pleasure to meet other enthusiasts and industry experts who share the same passion. Thanks.

Later,
    Kenneth

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>finish up the prep with pinnacle paint cleansing lotion. That should do the trick. What finish wax or sealant do you intend to use? [/b]</blockquote>
    Since I don`t have Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion in my garage, I used the Meguiars products I had handy to finish the detailing. First thing, I threw away the two burgundy products in my garage (Clear Coat Body Scrub Paint Cleaner & Deep Crystal Polish) after reading the old archives. I re-washed the car with the Gold Class Car Wash. I didn`t have any other paint cleaner products so I used the #9 Swirl Remover (Cleaner/Polisher), then #7 Show Car Glaze and finished it with #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. A few of the visible contaminants came off after lots of elbow grease during the wash & polish process. I`m going to order the Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion next week and try to get the remaining contaminants with it.

I haven`t had a chance to inspect the result due to the overcast weather today. The paint does look significantly deeper and glossier under the fluorescent light in my garage. BTW, the paint feels smoother than silk now.

My shoulders are really sore. Nonetheless, it won`t stop me from going to the New Years party tonight. See everyone next year. Have a wonderful and safe holiday.

Later,
    Kenneth

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Radio Shack and buy the 30X lighted magnifier, visit www.autoint.com and click on the Tech Tips Section so you know how to use it, and then take a look at the things you are attempting to remove.

It is the professional way, to actually know what you are dealing with.

Really, you may be surprised at what you find imbedded in the clear.

Ketch
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

The Big Kahuna TWO. 450 dollars in FREE products!!!

LINK: SIGN UP NOW!!! CLICK HERE!

The Big Kahuna II, the return....

Let`s get right to the good stuff, what do you win?

Grand prize- A $250.00 shopping spree at www.properautocare.com on Blackfire, Eimann Fabrik, and/or Lake Country Products.

4 Runner Ups- A $50.00 shopping spree at www.properautocare.com on Blackfire, Eimann Fabrik, and/or Lake Country Products.

How you win? From a raffle ticket system. The winners will be chosen at random, and of course, the more tickets you have in the raffle, the better your odds of winning!

How do you earn tickets?

You earn 1 ticket for every thread you start in a car care discussion forum. Thread`s started in off topic will not count.

You earn 1 ticket for every five posts you make in car care discussion sections, and 1 ticket for every 10 posts you make in the off topic section.

You earn 1 ticket for every $20.00 spent at www.properautocare.com. Include your screen name in the comments section at check out.

And the new twist! If you refer a new member and they get tickets for The Big Kahuna II, you get 1/2 of their total as a bonus (they still keep all of their tickets of course!). So if you refer CarWaxBabe, and she earns 30 tickets, you get get an additional 15 ticket bonus.
    Good luck and surf`s up!

Contest starts Wednesday, Sept 8th, and ends Sept 21st at mid-night!

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd..that is a VERY cool contest!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Todd..that is a VERY cool contest!!
    You are now 1/10th of the way to a ticket It`s that easy ancing Dot:

edit: Opps, I messed up the dates: It starts Wednesday, the 8th, not today. However I will still make sure you get your additional post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information