Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My 1st coat of KSG didn`t haze much at all .. is that normal ?

Did i put too little ?

i have my 2nd coat on now.. i put a bit more KSG this time.. just to see if it would haze up in a few hours.

It`s a very light frost, especially when light coats are applied. I`d recommend a minimum of two coats to assure complete coverage.

Post Thanks / Like
    KSG may be difficult to see once it is hazed. It can be very hard to see on light color vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was decided on this forum that it is better to apply thicker coats of KSG than previously thought of applying it in very thin nearly invisible coats. I applied thin coats on my vehicle and did not bead too well but still shined. I then went and applied thicker coats, not too thick, but thick enough to see it when it hazed or dried and now it beads like crazy and the water droplets just speed off my car when driving. When using wax it would bead like crazy but the water would not roll off as fast as it does using KSG.

Post Thanks / Like
    waxman,

DETAILKING and I concluded that thicker was better from our beading vs. sheeting tests also. I am glad to hear that you got the Klasse to bead with thicker coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    have good points about the application amounts. I use thin applications when putting the product on my 325i. I have had good results with this process.

But you have to understand that you do not get a "deep" hazing when you put thinner coats on. Thin coats = minimal hazing. Thick coats = deep hazing. I like putting on thin coats, with multiple layers. I have found that this creats a much more even dispursement of the SG.

But I do put a thicker coating of SG on the hood, roof, and trunk. These are the "high contact" areas on the car, and need a bit more protection.

Hope that this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also went the thin coat, many layer (3) approach with much success.

I remember the very first coat of KSG, I thought it was just "soaking in" to the paint, I couldn`t even see it. And this is on a very dark blue car.

blue skies,

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    MarylandBimmr,

As part of our tests, I put multiple thin coats on a hood and the water still did not bead. It still sheeted. Then, I applied a thick coat of SG and re-tested, and then the water beaded. The thick coat was not applied over the thinner coats, I applied the thick coat to a untreated half of the hood. Some cars bead with thin coats, while others sheet. And in some cases, some parts of the car sheeted while others beaded and the same thickness of layer was applied to the entire car. That is what makes this beading vs. sheeting issue and thick vs. thin issue somewhat strange.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha! I guess that I have been fortunate to get beading when I have used thinner coats, but now that I think about it, I do use much "thicker" coats on the hood, trunk, and roof.

I read your posts about the Klasse test. I too was interested in the results. I tend to be a believer in the more is better philosophy. I will try out the "thicker" challenge. I will let you know how it goes.

Take care.

Post Thanks / Like
    MarylandBimmr

Here is a trick for removing a thick layer of SG. Take a MT (or what ever towel you use to remove it) and run it under water. Then wring the towel out very well so the towel is damp. Use the damp towel to buff of the thick layer of SG. Using this, the SG should come off very easily. Make sure to keep a spray bottle of water handy, and mist the towel as needed to keep it damp.

Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Will the water cause problems with the SG bonding and hardening? I will try this out. I will let you know.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    MarylandBimmr,

No, the water will not cause any problems with the bonding/hardening of the SG.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    sure it hazes, otherwise people would complain about that haze being to difficult to remove when they apply too much
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    How much is "thicker" ?

can you actually see the product on the surface when you apply it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thicker is being able to see the product going on. You dont put it on is globs, just be able to see a slight film going onto the paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information