Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello from SEMA

Post Thanks / Like
    On my family Passat GLX, there is a large piece of plastic trim that runs around the base of the car in the back. When we first got the car, I waxed the car, but got some of the wax on the plastic.

How can I get it off? I have tried soap and lots of elbow grease, are there better products out there for this type of problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    EF Hi-intesity, peanut butter, Meguiars #39 are some of the many plastic trim cleaners.

Is it smooth and shinny/matte, or bumpy?

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    This is usually effective for wax residue removal on plastic trim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn is also used to remove wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I clean out the cabinets looking for peanut butter, rubbing alcohol, and anything else that might take the wax out of the trim. The trim has a slight porus nature, but all in all, it is pretty smooth. I think that I will try Dawn first, then alcohol, and then (maybe peanut butter?) something else.

Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good plan, from conventional to more radical.

Post Thanks / Like
    This worked for me after I spent all day trying to be careful around the black plastic trim on my Mustang.

I used this and it took the white residue off and it`s only 3.00 for a nice size container.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used PB in the past on my Passat lower rear panel before and it works great. I put it on in the area with my fingers then went over it lightly with an old toothbrush. Wash the car and its gone. And I mean gone. It doesn`t magically appear again after the next wash or a few days later.

[Edited by ru1thirst on 08-07-2001 at 11:53 AM]
    2001 V6 GLS Passat, Indigo blue, 2xAIO/5xSG

My Ride

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, you should use hi-intensity peanut butter, it should work wonders

oh AIO and SG does an excellent job on my passat of keeping that part of it black and dark (but not shiny) its been almost 2 months

Post Thanks / Like
    The PB was not a permanent solution for you? How many days did it last for? I`m going on to 10 right now with no sign of the stains returning. I didn`t use a toothbrush. I just spread it on with my fingers, let it sit for like 3-5 mins, and then I wiped it off with a towel, and then I washed it with car wash soap. Brad B has had permanent success with this. That`s why he recco`d it to the board.

Later.

Post Thanks / Like
    forgot the n`t on does. Nope it never came back. Removed totally. Message above edited. hehe
    2001 V6 GLS Passat, Indigo blue, 2xAIO/5xSG

My Ride

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for clearing that up. I was scared there for a second. The last thing I wanna see are those ugly white stains on my trim.

Later.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from SEMA

Hello TID, sorry I haven`t been on the forum lately; Captain Jack has me running around Las Vegas at SEMA and time has been scarce! I have tons of pictures (and will take many more today of cool cars and `other` art as I know that is what SEMA is about) but here is a quick run down of our experience so far.

We left for SEMA on Monday, starting with a quick flight from Tampa to North Carolina. After enjoying a lengthy lay over in Charlotte, we boarded our flight to Las Vegas: It was an interesting flight. Chocolate Meyer of NASCAR fame was one seat in front of Jack, and Robby Gordon was several seats in front of him. I had a conversation with UFC fighter Cole Miller with whom I share several mutual friends because I trained at a satellite to his camp (American Top Team). To top it off a couple MLB players where also on board. Very cool to say the least.

SEMA started on Tuesday and to be honest I was blown away by the immense size of the event. It is car guy heaven.... Like two kids with a shopping list (literally) in the toy isles, we started. Our first stop was Meguiar`s huge booth to check out the new goods (which include new pads and several additions to the Ultimate line).

I also had the pleasure of meeting Mike Pennington and I cannot say enough good things about him. What a cool guy and one of the main reasons that Meguiar`s continues to be one of the premier car care companies in the world.

Mike P and myself.

I snapped a picture of this foam polishing pad box from 1950, the first foam polishing pad.

As Jack and I continued shopping we passed this stunning (and PERFECT) Auburn Boat Tail Speedster. This is think was perfectly flat: zero waves and no orange peel or shrinkage and 100% swirl free. (Which TID member polished this??).

As we crossed into the North Hall we passed by Barry Meguiar hosting Car Crazy.

Here is a picture of Rich Light from Gloss-It and myself (I am not good looking but far more handsome then Rich ). I was very impressed with the latest version of his compound which removed some serious marring and finished out to near a very high gloss.

As Jack and I criss crossed the hall we walked past this truck which Overhaulin fan`s should recognize. It was swirled out (very common theme unfortunately).

After a long day Jack and I made our way to the exit only to run into this group of esteemed detailers. I honestly am humbled to be included in this picture as I would argue I don`t belong. Left to Right: Jason Rose, some Todd guy, Kevin Brown, and Nick Chapman!

A couple pics from day two.

Captain Jack and Big Foot.

I thought this car was completely awesome. A new Challenger made to look like a modern/retro Cuda!!!

It`s not everyday that a eight figure Ferrari GTO is sitting out front, but today was that day.

I ran into some long distance friends in Dom and PJ from Dodo Juice. Seriously great guys who know how to have a good time. Don`t ask how I know but I hope they made it back to their hotel safely. Great guys and good friends!

This GEM of a car had a three dimensional shine know as Wet Ice over Fire!

And finally this is the coolest bike that I have ever seen. Honestly the attention to detail and craftsmanship was amazing and too make it cooler it has an Indian motor!

That`s it for now but I will post all of the pictures when I get back home on Saturday. I truly miss you guys!

edit for the error. There is no Charlotte, Florida so I am sorry for the confusion this may have caused regarding Geography which could cause a misunderstanding in the way day-light savings works. Gone unchecked, and through the black art of chaos theory, this could bloom into a misunderstanding of such epic proportions that even the space time continuum is torn apart. As such I have made this edit in an attempt to save mankind.
    :devil:

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool pics Todd.
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing the pics with us! Maybe I`m just being a girl, but I don`t see how you could ride that bike, it`s so low to the ground!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information