Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    of any good secrets? I was just on classics.com and they have some stunning cars on that site! What type of products do you think they use to keep their cars in such good shape?

I mean, the cars were all immaculate. No detailing info though, as I think they all have some sort of secrets or methods that they don`t want publicized. Most of the cars

have a shine so extreme a Blk paint job borders mirror-like, very deep and wet and liquid-looking. Is it the paint, the prep and wax or what? I suspect the paint is the key, probably thousands of dollars. Anybody here participate in these shows? Can you tell us what you use and any methods of

application? Do these guys really have any "Secrets"? I was

VERY impressed with the quality of these cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    The picture of the Mercedes SLR says it all. That is one incredible piece of technology. You are right about the mystery shroud around the detailing. The cars most likely have incredible paint jobs (along with being kept in a full size humidor for added protection), with lots of layers, and many clear coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is possible since their cars should be trailored and put in appropritate conditons all the time.

I have also read some of them put wax on and then right before the competion polish with a polish like Meguiars #7 or something similar.

These secrets are soimething good to think about during sleep.

Later

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    For the most part, I think you are looking at paint jobs that can cost upwards of $25,000. Hours and hours of prep, mutiple layers of paint, and more countless hours color sanding. That`s where you get the <strong class=`bbc`>Big[/b] impact factor!! Once you`ve color sanded the paint, there is no longer any "Orange Peel" and the finish looks like glass. Just look at the reflection of a light in your hood and you will see the jaggedy edges of the image. Now look at the same reflection in your windshield. That`s what 200 hours of color sanding can do!

I think that they mostly use the same products that we are using, just have a better base to start with.

Post Thanks / Like
    for a paint job!! That`s like as much as a loaded Honda Accord.

But they have the money, they have the desire, let them be. I personally wouldn`t pay 25,000 or more for a paint job UNLESS I had money coming out of my rear end.

My 2 cents,

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a show on Speedvision a few weeks ago that talked about spending something like 350 hours to <strong class=`bbc`>Prep[/b] a Hemi Challenger before painting. At $50/hr. for an upscale shop, that commputes to $17,500 alone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Theres something I should do after retiring, prepping and painting Concours/Pebble Beach show cars!

17,500 for prepping and $25,000 for the paint, $42,500 for about 700 hours of work (350 for prepping and 350 for painting?) So in about 4 and 1/2 months (40 hours a week) I could make $42,500, and paint two cars a year, thats $85,000!!!!!

Thos numbers don`t look bad, but I`m not a good painter. I downright suck at painting.

Oh well

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    25 grand for paint on a car that is worth over 1 million?? That does not sound too bad to me. I remember reading on a website that stated that paint jobs in these types of price ranges are based on the number of flaws allowed. I think for anything over 25 grand only one flaw was allowed and when I mean one flaw. I`m not talking about a major one like orange peel or spiderwebbing.

I will see if I can dig up that website.
    `99 VW GTI VR6(Ginster Yellow)

Post Thanks / Like
    Like in many things, its "the chain is only as strong as its weakest link." In this case, the paint is the starting point, and no amount of detailing will get you to concours condition without great paint.

Consider that a nice regular paint job (not a single stage, cheapy Earl Schieb job) is a few thousand. So, tens of thousands is not out of line for multiple, hand sanded coats. Yes, hard to believe, but the prior posters are right. Pay for someone else to lay down multiple coats of color coat (done in a dust free painting booth) with color sanding of the entire car in between, and the price is going to be several times a standard, two-stage paint job with one color sand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alpine is pretty much right, 25K on expensive cars like those is probably worth it. I just could not beleive the gloss and depth of shine, and like SteveL said, I could not

see any "Orange Peel" at all! Just smooth, glass-like surfaces. The shop that produces cars like these must really

be something special!

Post Thanks / Like
    ZV -- the "no orange peel" is the result of careful painting followed by meticulous, very careful sanding of the paint ("color sanding"), resulting in an ultra-smooth surface. Add to this the fact that the cars are kept indoors AND, even while indoors, under a dust cover, and you can see that they never get very dirty to begin with, so no weekly washing needed, etc., so they stay in nearly the same condition as they were in when the painting, sanding, and buffing were completed.

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy WHAT at Walmart?

Yes........... It`s true.

You can actually buy a CASKET at Wally World!!!

Someone told me that and I couldn`t believe it!

So I went to Walmart dot com and entered "casket" in the search box....

15 Search results found for "casket"

I`m putting my foot down... my wife ain`t puttin` me in no Walmart casket!!!!!:banghead:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    Yes........... It`s true.

You can actually buy a CASKET at Wally World!!!

Someone told me that and I couldn`t believe it!

So I went to Walmart dot com and entered "casket" in the search box....

15 Search results found for "casket"

I`m putting my foot down... my wife ain`t puttin` me in no Walmart casket!!!!!:banghead:
    It would be pretty hard to order off line if your all ready dead.What is the cost for shipping ??
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Wal-Mart maybe. But there is no way I will buy one from IKEA - it is where I draw the line. I am NOT going to assemble my own casket! :angel:

Post Thanks / Like
    When I read your title I thought they must have started selling inflatable girlfriends.

What do you do with the casket after you buy it? It wouldn`t fit it many closets. I certainly wouldn`t want to store one in my garage. I guess you could use it as a coffee table until the time came.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information