Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to attack this chore this weekend, seeing as how I have not addressed it for fear of hard work! I`m going to take off each wheel and thoroughly clean each wheel well.

I thought I would get some very soapy water and use a brush to scrub the wheel area, then hit it with Endust or some

cheapy protectant. Any tips on any products that you use?

Should I use a rubber spray-on undercoat, or just leave it

as it is? I would like tips on keeping this area nice and

blk!!

Post Thanks / Like
    but I would say it would be best if you coudl remove the wheel and be able to get it out of the way so you could prvide yourself as much working room as possible. It can be a tight squeeze at least with the Passat.

I just use some soapy water and a semi-stiff brush (a worn down brush used to clean asphalt I believe?). This gets the dirt off. Make sure you get all the spots cause dirt can hide in between every seam and joint that may be within the well. Scrub in all directions I would say. Up/down, Back/forth, diagonally. Really work it you know.

To protect I actually used some Vinylex. Not the cheapest method, but I like the benefits of a product such as this. I am sure many other protectants would work well. Maybe even some AIO? Anyone on this?

Seeing as how dirty wheel wells get on a daily driver.. I just try to keep mine somewhat clean with a quick rinse in each as I do the weekly car cleansing.

PassatPunk.
    Volkswagen `01 Passat GLX / Satin Silver

Volkswagen `96 Jetta GLS / Black

Volkswagen `96 Cabriolet / Red

Post Thanks / Like
    I take off each wheel (as you`re planning to do), wet the wheel well thoroughly and then spray the surfaces with P21S Total Auto wash. I let it sit for a few minutes (not long enough to let the surfaces dry) and then agitate with a moderately stiff brush. I also use a old toothbrush to get at the crevices and cavities. Then rinse thoroughly. Once dry, I dress the wheel well plastic, for which I have variously used Eagle One, 303 Aerospace and (my current favourite for wheel well plastic) 3M Rubber Treatment and Tire Dressing. I need to refine my approach because I sometimes find little areas of mud/dirt I missed, that show up like a sore thumb when I`m trying to dress the plastic. I`ve noticed this less now that I let the degreaser sit for a while. Also, PassatPunk`s suggestion to scrub everywhich way sound like a great idea which I need to try out.

Taking the wheel off is a good opportunity to detail the back of the wheel, which is usually difficult to reach.

I also try to do this task by itself, as after four wheel wells, I am usually too worn out to do anything else (on the car)

BTW, I would not consider this a thorough detailing as it does not include suspension and drive components etc. I`m dying to AIO my suspension parts etc. but don`t have the time right now

I`m sure there were some threads on this topic..
    ~Footy

My lawyers have advised me to say nothing until the results of the blood test come through...

Post Thanks / Like
    Putting a plastic garbage bag over the rotors and brake assembly would help keep the cleaner, and whatever comes off of the wheel well, off of those parts.

Don`t really see the benefit of spray-on undercoating on a plastic fender liner, and it would probably make it harder to clean in the future.
    `99 Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl
    `04 Subaru Outback Sport - Silver

OrangeA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Using a protectant on the wheel well has several benefits - 1. You can never restor the plastic liner to its original, like new black. The protectant can do this easily. 2. If you live where it snows, the protectant fights the built up snow that you often get on sloppy roads. 3. I always apply a cleaner/protectant spray at the end of my weekly wash, even if I can`t get to the wells with a brush. This blackens them up quickly and keeps them relatively clean making the process of complete wheel well detailing easier when the time comes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree about a protectant.

I was commenting on the "rubber spray-on undercoat" that ZV asked about.
    `99 Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl
    `04 Subaru Outback Sport - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    energy now! I had my car up on a lift and it was filthy under there!!

admin_old

The Big Kahuna Raffle GIVEAWAY: $320 Grand Prize!!!! 643 dollars in total gifts!!!

Don`t forget the Big Kahuna Raffle Giveaway is still active, hot and heavy.
    Please visit the thread below and become part of the thread to enter the contest.
    Your post and thread counts go toward increasing your chances of winning the wonderful prizes we have gathered together for the contest.
    At this thread, is the fine points of how the contest works.
    To those of you already entered and posting, keep it up!
    To those of you not yet entered, what are you waiting for?

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1826

Thread Information