Thread: Chipped Keys

Post Thanks / Like

Chipped Keys

Okay so somehow my key broke off in the warehouse somewhere lol idk where. But I just called the dealer and asked how much it would be for a new key and its damn near 100 bucks . Sooo my question is if I make a copy of the spare key I have and than hang the remainder of the key on the key ring with it will the car start lol just would use it as the "emergency key". I`m not all that familiar with the chip in the key but seems like it would work right lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chipped Keys

I think that would work. I know back in my younger day when I was installing remote starters (among other things) you could put a key in the column to "bypass" the transponder instead of buying the bypass that DEI sold, which I think also used an OEM key.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don`t have a knowledgeable answer to your question. I suspect it would not work, well perhaps with a bit of positioning but that would get old in short order. That said, the dealer usually charges an exorbitant amount for a bit of nothing. Your truck has the ability to program new keys (look in your owners manual), at least my last two could do it (2008, 2010 F-150`s). You do have a second key, right? You just have to find someone that can provide a new cut key. I`ve got to think there is an aftermarket answer. I would definitely look to some of the better independent key shops in your area. I`ll bet you could save a buck.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I spent a few months over summer several years ago working at a dealership. And yes the dealer will charge you for the key, the cut, and to "program" it for you. Keys are a big time seller for the parts & service departments

I`m not sure about non-OEM key shops, but you may find something.

Just remember that whatever you decide to do, bring both keys if you have them and/or proof of ownership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    Okay so somehow my key broke off in the warehouse somewhere lol idk where. But I just called the dealer and asked how much it would be for a new key and its damn near 100 bucks . Sooo my question is if I make a copy of the spare key I have and than hang the remainder of the key on the key ring with it will the car start lol just would use it as the "emergency key". I`m not all that familiar with the chip in the key but seems like it would work right lol

Looks like a Workers` Comp situation to me!
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like

pockets, yes it will work 100% just hang the new key on the same ring as the chipped key
    ive got one like this for my daughters lancer works fine

Acrylic Paint Conditioner Gus-Gus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

so is the chip in the fob of the key or is it on the key itself?

if its on the key.. nothing you can do.. if its int he fob.. open it up and put the emergency key in the place of the old key.. it should fit.. unless it has its own plastic backing then you may have to be creative with it..
    "One day you will have to stop being a Muppet...So take the hand out of yer butt and walk for yourself."

Claying does not mean "High end". It means quality/caring. So would actually learning a trade instead of "Hey I can wash and wax a car, so I`ma gonna be a detailer."

Thread Information