Thread: Very Cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Very Cool!

I went for a walk around the neighborhood last night. Mind you, I`ve lived around here all my life and in over 40 years I`ve never seen this sight in my hometown. Looked up into a tall tree and there as proud as can be was a Bald Eagle. He was there again today. I watched him for a very long time and he watched back with intent. Very cool indeed.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very Cool!

That is awesome!
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

That is very cool!!

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you, GH. My wife and I pulled over and watched one for 45 minutes last week... at the mall! He was fishing a small pond, just sitting among the herons and egrets.

They are really spectacular animals. So glad to see the Bald Eagle recovering.
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like

Last March their were about 50 nesting along the river near my home.

I got a picture of one but I only had a 250mm lens with me and since he would not let me get close my photo is not that great but this year I plan on taking one of my super telephoto lens and get a close-up shot of them.

In the past year I have got photos of Deer-Wild turkeys-Pheasant- Eagle
    Buzzards Blue Heron.

I was going to upload a photo but I can`t get it to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    Last March their were about 50 nesting along the river near my home.

I got a picture of one but I only had a 250mm lens with me and since he would not let me get close my photo is not that great but this year I plan on taking one of my super telephoto lens and get a close-up shot of them.

In the past year I have got photos of Deer-Wild turkeys-Pheasant- Eagle
    Buzzards Blue Heron.

I was going to upload a photo but I can`t get it to work.
    Bart,

I was actually thinking about you and our previous discussion. I was really wishing I had that camera the other night. I was only about 80 ft. below him and with my binoculars could make it look as if I could touch him. The camera would have been great.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to a neighbor who lives right next to the tree where this Eagle was perched. He said that for the past 25 years Eagles come to this tree for about a month during this time of the year.

I grew up in this town until I was 19, I lived about 20 miles away for 25 years but recently built a home and came back. I still was over here visiting family a couple of times each week. It`s kind of like I never left. This is a small town. There were only about 1500 people that lived here while I was a child. The population has grown to about 8000. I tell you this because it`s the kind of place where you can literally know everything that happens in this town. I had no idea that these birds did this. It is only 10 blocks from where I lived as a child and about 3 blocks from where I currently reside.

We have a lot of Eagles and Osprey about 100 miles from where I live but I`ve just never seen them in this part of Utah. We have a pretty good sized lake/pond about a mile from where this Eagle was. It probably covers 50-75 acres. Utah Lake which is a very large lake is also not too far away. I`m sure that these lakes are their food source. I`ll have something to look forward to each winter now that I know this. Something special about looking at a Bald Eagle.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Bart,

I was actually thinking about you and our previous discussion. I was really wishing I had that camera the other night. I was only about 80 ft. below him and with my binoculars could make it look as if I could touch him. The camera would have been great.
    Man I don`t know how you got that close.

They are none around here now I guess they went south but they will be back in late March.
    They will be nesting and I don`t want to get too close and disturb them but since last fall I bought a 1300mm and a 3200mm lens so I can take a photo from a long distance with those.

I also have a Canon 100-400mm L series with a Canon 2x mkII tele extender for it and it is tack shape image if I can get within 500 ft. I can use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    They will be nesting and I don`t want to get too close and disturb them but since last fall I bought a 1300mm and a 3200mm lens so I can take a photo from a long distance with those.
    Those are some extremely long lenses....

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Those are some extremely long lenses....
    If I stack all 4 of my TC`s I can get 11,468mm

This sort of thing is not recommended but on a bright sunny day you can make it work.

I have not tried that many but I probably will try it next summer I like to play around like that.

Last spring I set up with 4800mm and took a photo of a sign at the end of the road that I live on.

I just wanted to see how well I could make it work and at more than a quarter mile the photo clearly shows 2 bullet holes in the sign.

If you turn the ISO up high that will off set the large F stop from stacking the lens.

Post Thanks / Like

There`s one that nests on a river I fish in the summer that supposedly will dive bomb you. I`ve seen the eagle, however I have never seen it dive on anyone before.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Thread Information