Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Halts Sales of Eight U.S. Models After Recall

Link Here

And

Link Here

The automaker said it did not know when dealers could resume selling the cars and trucks because it had not yet determined a remedy to the problem, which in certain rare circumstances can cause the gas pedal to remain depressed after the driver`s foot is removed.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota Halts Sales of Eight U.S. Models After Recall

Are the models affected "drive by wire" or do they have a traditional accelerator linkage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 89LXi View Post
    Are the models affected "drive by wire" or do they have a traditional accelerator linkage?
    They are drive by wire.
    They have a software problem but refused to admit it until they found out ABC news was going to air a special about it and they acted the day before the airing
    The floor mat never was the problem and they knew it.

Seems all car manufactures always want to deny their problems until they have no alternative but to fix the problem.

Toyota recently told all suppliers that they must reduce cost by 30% so their quality will continue to slide.
    Toyota quality has been slipping for several years now but most people don`t seem to be aware of it.

They got focused on being the worlds #1 in sales instead of #1 in quality.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

worst part is that they do not have the replacement part yet even though they have agreed to a recall so if we crash we at least know why
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, Have you grounded your Sequoia until the fix can be made?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 89LXi View Post
    Steve, Have you grounded your Sequoia until the fix can be made?
    hell no ... if i slam into someone it`s not my fault

it`s good to ride big
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Better check to see if my 96 Camry is on the list
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    hell no ... if i slam into someone it`s not my fault

it`s good to ride big

On a serious note, did anyone else hear the 9-1-1 tape of the Lexus driver who called the police while accelerating uncontrolled toward a cross street? I think this was the precipitating event for the "floor mat fiasco." He and his family were killed in the collision.

The 9-1-1 operator was extremely cool and collected, but offered no helpful advice (on the segment that I heard.) Note to Emergency Operations Center staff everywhere: "Shift into Neutral, Sir!" "Turn the ignition key off!" "Step on the brake pedal, as hard as you can!" "Pull the emergency brake!!!" "Do it now!!!"

What am I missing here?
    JohnHenry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Better check to see if my 96 Camry is on the list
    1996 models are not on the list.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    They are drive by wire.
    They have a software problem but refused to admit it until they found out ABC news was going to air a special about it and they acted the day before the airing
    The floor mat never was the problem and they knew it.

Seems all car manufactures always want to deny their problems until they have no alternative but to fix the problem.

Toyota recently told all suppliers that they must reduce cost by 30% so their quality will continue to slide.
    Toyota quality has been slipping for several years now but most people don`t seem to be aware of it.

They got focused on being the worlds #1 in sales instead of #1 in quality.
    And they`re claiming it the gas pedal assembly made by CTS in Canada, and that it affects American production of Toyota brands only, but there are reports of the same problems in Lexus models made in Japan with eh same gas pedal design, manufactured by Denso.

Toyota has been asking for trouble like this for the last ten to twelve years. They got a lot of praise heaped on them for redesigning cars from the ground up, and going from concept-to-production in around three years, but those of us who have worked in the auto industry, especially in the Tier One and Tier Two auto parts sector, openly questioned whether they could pull it off without big quality problems, and we got shouted down by some Toyota fans for even questioning the "almighty" Toyota. Well, it looks like there some credibility in questioning how fast they, Toyota, tried to move.

Post Thanks / Like

And there`s the former Toyota lawyer accusing Toyota of deliberately hiding evidence of defects: Toyota found to keep tight lid on potential safety problems - latimes.com

Actually suing Toyota:

* A former Toyota lawyer who handled safety litigation has sued the automaker, accusing it of engaging in a "calculated conspiracy to prevent the disclosure of damaging evidence" as part of a scheme to "prevent evidence of its vehicles` structural shortcomings from becoming known" to plaintiffs lawyers, courts, NHTSA and the public.

As a result, plaintiffs attorneys are considering reopening dozens of product-liability suits against the automaker.
    How would like to be the automotive manufacturer client, being sued by a former attorney who knows where all the bodies are buried?

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a Toyota guy, and this looks like bad news for Toyota. On the one hand, they seem to be stepping up to the plate by halting sales and production. On the other hand, it appears they dragged their feet on it for a bit. Maybe they can work it out and come out on the better end. Ford seems to have done okay with two large issues they had in the recent past, so it is possible.

My Tundra is in the recall, as is my wife`s Highlander. I`m not really all that concerned, and I really don`t know if I want the dealership working on my vehicle. I guess if it got bad, I`d be looking into another make of vehicle.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    I`m a Toyota guy, and this looks like bad news for Toyota. On the one hand, they seem to be stepping up to the plate by halting sales and production. On the other hand, it appears they dragged their feet on it for a bit. Maybe they can work it out and come out on the better end. Ford seems to have done okay with two large issues they had in the recent past, so it is possible.

My Tundra is in the recall, as is my wife`s Highlander. I`m not really all that concerned, and I really don`t know if I want the dealership working on my vehicle. I guess if it got bad, I`d be looking into another make of vehicle.
    There are reports that they`ve been dragging their feet on this since at least last October, and perhaps back to last summer. Worse yet, they became aware of the very same issue in Europe months before they claim to have become aware of it here in North America.

Nikkei, Japans equivalent of the Wall Street Journal, in a very uncharacteristic for a Japanese publication fashion, rip Toyota today, for the second time in a week, for their quality problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Len_A View Post
    There are reports that they`ve been dragging their feet on this since at least last October, and perhaps back to last summer. Worse yet, they became aware of the very same issue in Europe months before they claim to have become aware of it here in North America.

Nikkei, Japans equivalent of the Wall Street Journal, in a very uncharacteristic for a Japanese publication fashion, rip Toyota today, for the second time in a week, for their quality problems.

I haven`t really followed it that closely, so I don`t know a lot of the specific details. In their defense, one of the things that I just finished reading on another website was that this was a proactive action - i.e. they decided to do this based on research of the pedal/accelerator assembly. NOT due to any other related accidents or fatalities other than the family in the Lexus that seems to have touched this off.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

First, a disclaimer.
    1. We have and have had several import vehicles and have been happy with them.
    2. We have and have had several domestic vehicles and have been happy with them.

Now to the point.
    If this was Chrysler, Ford or GM, it would be front page news.
    I first read about it here.
    In doing a quick Google search, I found very little mention of this in the news even now.
    Do the imports have that much clout with the media?

If you do some checking, you will find that the imports have had a lot more recalls and problems than most of us know about.
    I guess we gripe about our domestic vehicles and just accept the import problems.

Charles

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information