Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 16 Hours on an 08 BMW?

Quote Originally Posted by ivopivo View Post
    Late to the party as well, but I`ll post my opinion, which matters more than anyone`s on here, since I was #1 on that list

First of all, beemer, Todd has every right to defend himself when such a thread is made. You posted a thread to share your opinion more so than get others` opinions, at least it certainly seemed that way, thus the 8 pages...

Second, and please don`t take offense to this, the work you do and the work Todd does are at two different levels... I`ve gone from doing 4-5hr correction jobs 3 years ago to 10-12 for the `same` job today... it`s just being more thorough, working the polish correctly, etc.

My original post of this thread was

"Have a look at this thread please and tell me why you think it took this guy 16 hours to detail it.

The work is impressive and his documentation is even more impressive.

The only part I can`t seem to get passed is the time spent on nearly a new car to get the results."

What part of that sounds like an attack?

Secondly, with over 30 years of hands on detail experience, I still find today that I can learn from about anyone. Trust me in this, I would gladly step into any competition on paint correction or detailing at any level with anyone. I don`t care what some magazine or ranking has to say about them.

There are way to many great detailers across this country that are high end...Clean Dean and Boss409 if I had his nic right, both of those are right up there. Why didn`t that make the list or where they not in the contention?

All that said, I looked threw Todd`s web site and his work and services are very impressive..I know he dose top end work...that wasn`t the question it was why the posters here at DC thought it took that long..

If a Doctor says you have cancer and are going to die, do you go see another doctor? of course you do...maybe three or four more. Why?

To make sure that the first Doctor is right...Do you think the first doctor thinks he is being attacked because you want more than one opinion on your condition?

That was the nature of my question to the posters here at DC...of which some I trust very much.

I got my answer and YES it can take that long...proved he was right....but at the same time it didn`t prove me wrong or that I was on attack.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    My original post of this thread was

"Have a look at this thread please and tell me why you think it took this guy 16 hours to detail it.

The work is impressive and his documentation is even more impressive.

The only part I can`t seem to get passed is the time spent on nearly a new car to get the results."

What part of that sounds like an attack?

Secondly, with over 30 years of hands on detail experience, I still find today that I can learn from about anyone. Trust me in this, I would gladly step into any competition on paint correction or detailing at any level with anyone. I don`t care what some magazine or ranking has to say about them.

There are way to many great detailers across this country that are high end...Clean Dean and Boss409 if I had his nic right, both of those are right up there. Why didn`t that make the list or where they not in the contention?

All that said, I looked threw Todd`s web site and his work and services are very impressive..I know he dose top end work...that wasn`t the question it was why the posters here at DC thought it took that long..

If a Doctor says you have cancer and are going to die, do you go see another doctor? of course you do...maybe three or four more. Why?

To make sure that the first Doctor is right...Do you think the first doctor thinks he is being attacked because you want more than one opinion on your condition?

That was the nature of my question to the posters here at DC...of which some I trust very much.

I got my answer and YES it can take that long...proved he was right....but at the same time it didn`t prove me wrong or that I was on attack.
    You said you can do the exact same thing in 8 hrs and also that you didn`t see why he`d be spending so much time on a car that`s pretty much brand new anyway.... or did I imagine that?

If two people disagree, and one ends up being right, the other person is wrong, plain and simple. So if you say he`s right, it would mean that you agree that you, and everyone else, should be taking much more than your stated 8 hours to do the job Todd did... you don`t agree with this and you will still do what you do and what your clients like... get what I`m saying?

As for Autoweek, there was no `competition` per say... yes the list could`ve been longer, but to say a `high end detailer` here and there should be on there is a moot point... just because someone`s churning out details on $150k cars doesn`t make them a better detailer than those doing the $50k cars... again, I`m not saying who`s good who`s not, but Autoweek didn`t draw names out of a hat, rather did their research... for example, I have nothing against Clean Dean, as he seems to do great work from what I`ve seen online, but for someone like me, who does no marketing, advertising, etc., to end up on the list due to recommendations from clients and other detailers is something to be proud of...

Oh and please refrain from those doctor or similar comparisons... if you want to do a comparison like it, it would mean you`re asking other patients on what they thought on a certain doctor`s procedure, patient`s who listen to doctor because he`s the expert...
    -Ivan
    LUSTR Auto Detail
    "Always start with the least aggressive method!"

Post Thanks / Like

You said you can do the exact same thing in 8 hrs and also that you didn`t see why he`d be spending so much time on a car that`s pretty much brand new anyway.... or did I imagine that?

If two people disagree, and one ends up being right, the other person is wrong, plain and simple. So if you say he`s right, it would mean that you agree that you, and everyone else, should be taking much more than your stated 8 hours to do the job Todd did... you don`t agree with this and you will still do what you do and what your clients like... get what I`m saying?

As for Autoweek, there was no `competition` per say... yes the list could`ve been longer, but to say a `high end detailer` here and there should be on there is a moot point... just because someone`s churning out details on $150k cars doesn`t make them a better detailer than those doing the $50k cars... again, I`m not saying who`s good who`s not, but Autoweek didn`t draw names out of a hat, rather did their research... for example, I have nothing against Clean Dean, as he seems to do great work from what I`ve seen online, but for someone like me, who does no marketing, advertising, etc., to end up on the list due to recommendations from clients and other detailers is something to be proud of...

Oh and please refrain from those doctor or similar comparisons... if you want to do a comparison like it, it would mean you`re asking other patients on what they thought on a certain doctor`s procedure, patient`s who listen to doctor because he`s the expert...
    No you didn`t imagine it, I did say that I could produce the same results in half the time. On a car just like what he worked on...That`s not saying that I couldn`t be wrong but its what I felt based on the years of experience I have...

I agreed with Todd and the others here that it could take 16 hours for his level of work...That doesn`t make me wrong I just don`t agree with it, and like you we have the right to our opinion.

I appogized to Todd two times on this thread only to be gracious about how he felt..I think he`s ok with it...you should be as well!

As for the list of top ten detailers that made the list, those are the ones that have high visibility to the general public, via ads, web sites, etc?

Those are the ones that where polled by Autoweek to see what there customers said about them, then they complied the list from that?

Sure leaves out a lot of great detailers like you and me that have no budget for that...right?

Maybe they should have asked our customers..right

My comparison about the doctors, you seem to have an opinion about everything I write...seems like a personal attack to me

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

As for the list of top ten detailers that made the list, those are the ones that have high visibility to the general public, via ads, web sites, etc?

Those are the ones that where polled by Autoweek to see what there customers said about them, then they complied the list from that?

Sure leaves out a lot of great detailers like you and me that have no budget for that...right?

Maybe they should have asked our customers..right
    I think you missed my point... I am on that list, while I have no high visibility to anyone (except my website that got very very little traffic until early this year...

As for wrong/right, I wasn`t attacking, I guess I just wanted to ask what you learned after posting this thread? For example if you`ll ask Todd for advice on how to take longer while detailing and do a more thorough job or still think it`s too long of a time... no attacks here, I hate everyone equally
    -Ivan
    LUSTR Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

I think you missed my point... I am on that list, while I have no high visibility to anyone (except my website that got very very little traffic until early this year...

As for wrong/right, I wasn`t attacking, I guess I just wanted to ask what you learned after posting this thread? For example if you`ll ask Todd for advice on how to take longer while detailing and do a more thorough job or still think it`s too long of a time... no attacks here, I hate everyone equally
    Link me to that list please.

If I think that Todd can offer me advice I would be stupid not to ask. What did I learn? that it can take 16 hours to detail at that level..I suspected that all a long but wanted opinions..that`s the part you missed my point in posting.

I also think that Todd can learn from me and many other posters on this forum as well.

Don`t go sideways with my comparisons but even the pro`s take lessons.

I can at least agree with your last statement!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Link me to that list please.

If I think that Todd can offer me advice I would be stupid not to ask. What did I learn? that it can take 16 hours to detail at that level..I suspected that all a long but wanted opinions..that`s the part you missed my point in posting.

I also think that Todd can learn from me and many other posters on this forum as well.

Don`t go sideways with my comparisons but even the pro`s take lessons.

I can at least agree with your last statement!

http://lustrdetail.com/Images/AWArticle.jpg
    -Ivan
    LUSTR Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks where are you on that list?

Never mind I see you on the list...my bad

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we having fun yet?

Time to lock this thread. I think everything has been said that needs to be said about this.

Bottom line is it takes time to detail a car. The top detailers all pretty much agree as to this time frame. That should be good enough for anyone wanting an opinion.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information