View Poll Results: What makes a car a Show Car?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vehicle age

3 7.14%
  • Condition of vehicle (original)

8 19.05%
  • The way the vehicle is maintained

12 28.57%
  • Option package

1 2.38%
  • Make or model

1 2.38%
  • Custom modifications (i.e. paint, chrome, wheels)

7 16.67%
  • Detailed engine compartment

1 2.38%
  • Price of vehicle

0 0%
  • Other, O.K. I`ll add this option but tell us what other means

9 21.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show Cars

Post Thanks / Like

Show Cars

I`ve been thinking about this today. I see the term "Show Car" used quite often. I`m curious to see others opinions on this, what is it that makes a car a show car? I believe once a car is 25 years old it`s considered a legitimate classic. Does the fact that it it`s a classic make it a show car? Is it the cars age? Is it the make and model? Is it a particular option package available on the car? Is it the way a car is maintained? Is it because a car is perceived to have some inherent value? Is it custom features such as wheels, chrome and paint? Is it because someone chooses to show a car? I`ve seen cars at shows that didn`t belong there in my opinion. One man`s Show Car is another man`s daily driver. Is it a Show Car because that`s what someone choose to call it? What are your thoughts. No doubt most of us will feel that the answer is some combination of the above choices. That said, I didn`t make multiple choice answers an option because I didn`t want to see a bunch of choices with everything in the list checked. Make your primary choice and then please feel free to elaborate. What is it that makes a car a Show Car?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Cars

A show car to me is just that. A car that is maintained for car shows. Either a brand new car, a highly modified car, an older car, cutom car, etc... I helped detail a show car last weekend. It is a car that is driven regularly but it is also entered into car shows often.

Post Thanks / Like

There are "show cars" then there are classics. It`s my personal opinion of course. Classics are one of a kind. Show cars can be either one of a kind or a dime a dozen, in my opinion of course.

Heck, I have a 2005 Tacoma that`s cleaner and better kept than most of the late model "show cars" I see running around. Since there`s such a diverse taste in autos, I think it would be hard to classify what exactly makes a show car. I think there was a "golden age", but again that`s just me.

For instance - there`s nothing from the eighties, nineties or present day that even comes close to rivaling a 1957 Chevy Bel Aire or a 1969 Camaro in any aspect - in my personal opinion. Of course my granddad is a huge fan of the forties Fords. Lots of it comes down to personal taste I guess.

Good subject for discussion.

P.S. Kind of reminds me of back in the nineties when every other Chevy Truck was "customized" by someone like Southern Comfort and everyone thought they were driving a "show truck." There were so many of those things running around I would have felt special to have a regular non-customized truck. Thanks for the memories.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

I went with other.
    To me, a "show car" is a vehicle that has some special interest.
    That special interest is a lot of different things to different people.
    I happen to be a fan of 1963 Corvette coupes and 1957 Chevrolet convertibles. Not really all that special interest to a Ford fan.
    Duesenbergs have always fascinated me in that they were so far ahead of the competition in so many ways. The Auburn Cord was another innovative vehicle. Would I want either one, not at all.
    At a graffiti night they probably wouldn`t draw very much interest, either.
    I have a friend that thinks only cars with fat fenders should be allowed. Another friend thinks a Corvette that doesn`t have chrome bumpers isn`t a real Corvette.
    The only Mustang I ever seriously considered was the true Shelby GT350. Fun car, definitely. Good car, not particularly. Scariest ride I ever had was in one of those owned and driven by a friend that raced SCCA events. The car was scary fast and he was scary crazy. Fun Ride!

Charles

Get over it and move on. Bellydawg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I chose other because I believe it is all of the above depending on the person. This may seem a copout yet I have built a number of custom vehicles and long to own a classic.

Just my thoughts.
    Jim
    Facts are not the truth, but only indicate where the truth may lie.

Post Thanks / Like

In my case, my show is a 1994 camaro Z/28 LT1, the camaro is no longer made. My car is in really great shape for the year, it`s mostly all original except for the
    borla exhaust and upgraded sound system. This car is a spirit of a time gone by, just like any car from the past that brings you back in time when you see them cruise by or in a show. You know the feeling if you see a car
    that you had years back, or a car your Dad had, it just brings back a nostalgic feeling. As for a brand new show car I think if it`s something special like a new challenger or new Zr1 corvette, new camaro which should hit the streets in fall 08, well lets wait and see.
    Then these would classify as show cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t mean to sound like the authority on this topic, I`m not but I`ll make a couple of comments to try and keep this thread flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydawg View Post
    I chose other because I believe it is all of the above depending on the person. This may seem a copout yet I have built a number of custom vehicles and long to own a classic. Just my thoughts.
    Yeah, cop out. You can do better. I was hesitant to put the other category in the post. In retrospect I probably shouldn`t have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockit
    This car is a spirit of a time gone by, just like any car from the past that brings you back in time when you see them cruise by or in a show.
    Still a ton of this generation Camaro and for that matter Firebirds on the road. It`s still the most recent version of the Camaro to date. They`re not a ghost from the past just yet. Now a 70 split bumper Z/28 or an old Yenko with a 427 are Camaro ghosts form the past. Tell me a 94 Camaro is a spirit from the past in another 11 years, that`s when it hits classic status. Yours appears to have the option packages that will give it inherit value. A Z/28 package with an LT1 will always be worth more than a RS with a V6 brother in similar condition. Once the new Camaro hits the market, the no longer made line will not apply, it will then be a Gen 4 Camaro (I don`t mean that desparagingly). Now if you have a car that it can be said was the last year they were made then there is something to this. None of this disqualifies your Camaro for being a show car. If it`s being shown and in competition says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by sal329
    A show car to me is just that. A car that is maintained for car shows. Either a brand new car, a highly modified car, an older car, custom car, etc... I helped detail a show car last weekend. It is a car that is driven regularly but it is also entered into car shows often.
    Sal, I agree with what you are saying here but would add that they need to be going to real shows and not week end lawn gatherings. A Show Car needs to be in the hunt for a trophy and the owner continuing to improve the things the judges are deducting points for.

Of the choices above I listed Make or model. I think that this is a must regardless of whether one chooses to keep it original, modify it, wait until it`s a classic etc. It`s all got to start somewhere and I believe this is the place. Just my 2 cents.

Ultimately I really believe "Other" is the best answer but if you opt to choose the "Other" category give some real details it will make for better reading in this thread. If any have pictures of their cars being shown or other good examples of a Show Car please post them.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

OK well I feel anything an owner is proud of is a show car... at the big northeast subaru show my baja get put in as a show car.. while it`s not a heavy moded STI/WRX the baja only ran from 03-06 and i got some option on it that now other base baja will see(bed cover from a turbo/leather that the dealership will not even order for you) so that to me is a show car...

On the other hand my Firebird is one of 248 made that year and no other birds are going to be made(unlike the camaros the bird is not coming back) so while she is not pretty to me it`s still show worthy...

Post Thanks / Like

When I say car shows I am talking about a show that has judges and different classes. Not your Sonic Tues night ride event. The show I went to this weekend was an all Ford event, there were many different Fords there of course mostly Mustangs ranging from all different years.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say other or all of those choices because no one choice is correct,

Different people see things differently,

Some thing that it must be old to qualify as a show car others think it is possible to have a nice car without being 20 years old,

Lots of people base their opinion on what they perceive to be true rather than what is real,

Example would be this statement by Jared Pointer,

Jared Pointer stated
    For instance - there`s nothing from the eighties, nineties or present day that even comes close to rivaling a 1957 Chevy Bel Aire or a 1969 Camaro in any aspect

The words any aspect covers a lot of things but since the only real good thing about the Camaro was straight line acceleration we will focus on that because the handling and brakes were worse than poor,

While it is possible to install ladder bar to control axle hop and bigger tires to improve traction this can also be done to all other cars as well so we will compare everything as it was delivered.

Here is a copy of a magazine article back in 69 when they tested the Camaro and their comments,

The 1969 SS camaro was designed to be a 1/4 mile beast, which it was, the 1969 SS camaro had a lot of cool options also, but the main one was a Chevy 396 CID big block engine, which obviously made a huge difference in it`s 1/4 mile times, by adding more torque and horsepower.
    The SS 396 came in three different configurations, you had the 325,and 350 HP versions, and the L78 375 HP which at the time would cost a massive $316.00 to add to your car, and for only $711.00 you could add the L89 option which would get aluminum heads added to your camaro, and remove about 100 pounds.
    The SS would weigh in at about 3790 pounds, and came with a Holly four barrel carb, and 11:1 compression pistons, and this combination would net you 375 HP @ 5600 rpm, and 415 FTLB of torque @ 4600 rpm, a great combination for the drag strip, the car would run a 14.7 second 1/4 mile @ 98.7 mph, with a 0-60 of 6.8

Now lets look at what cars that can beat the Camaro’s numbers,

There are a lot of them so I have only listed a few,
    The first number after the car description is the 0 to 60 and the last is the quarter mile,

2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6.2 14.5

2004 Honda S2000 5.8 14.2 (MT Mar ‘04)

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5.5 14.2
    1998 Lexus GS 400 5.8 14.3
    1994 Mazda RX-7 5.3 14.0
    1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 5.4 13.5

1993 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 4.4 12.7
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 4.6 13.1
    2004 Volkswagon Golf R32 6.4 14.5
    2006 Cadillac STS-V 4.6 13.2 (January 2006 C&D)

From this list you can see that cars like our wife’s drive the kids to soccer practice are quicker than the mighty 69 Camaro SS.
    The 69 Camaro was fast in it’s day but that was nearly 40 years ago.

Technology has made the modern car ride better drive and handle better stop quicker and do it on less gas and pollute far less and it is also MUCH FASTER THEN A 69 CAMARO

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with the part about no 80`s or 90`s car being a worthy Show Car. Your SuperVette may be a perfect example of an exception to that statement. Certainly however not all 90`s Vette`s are Show Cars. Though I believe the cars you have listed are represented correctly, you and anyone else reading your post knows that your comparison is like comparing apples to oranges. Needless to say that if you compare the Camaro`s price relative to other cars of it`s day it probably stacks up as a cheaper model in the price line up than the cars you have chosen to compare it to relative to today`s price line up. As poorly as the Camaro may handle when compared to the cars you have listed simple technology additions available today (tires, ladders etc., especially tires) would make the Camaro competitive with the modern cars listed when it comes to speed (with the exception of the Porsche or Cadillac). 40 years worth of technology changes the automotive world to no end. For starters a set of modern radial tires will improve both the way the Camaro launches and the way it corners. Modern brakes will make the Camaro brake with modern cars.

Mileage is another debatable arena, by and large modern cars will win hands down but I have personally owned a 312 H.P. HiPo 289 in a 68 Fake Snake Mustang that would get 25 mpg all day long if you kept your foot off of the floorboard. Sure the big CID engines suck fuel but my point is simply that horse power was available with respectable mileage. I`m not arguing the point but it will take something special in my opinion added to the modern cars listed before they become most peoples opinions of show cars (excepting the cars I previously listed). A special paint job, suspension mod, something. All this said in my less than worthless opinion the Camaro is infinitely more showable than the cars listed and I don`t even like Camaros, I`m a Mustang guy. Put a Yenko Camaro on the stage with the cars you have listed. Introduce a bunch of car guys and watch where they eyes spend their time. Anyway, your point is well taken.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Haha. Guess I should have qualified my response somewhat, although I thought I had when I mentioned in my humble opinion. I`m definitely not a racer or speedster, so that aspect never crossed my mind. I`m more of a styling and looks kind of guy, and in my opinion the two I mentioned are two (of a lot) that really standout in my mind.

I guess what I should have said is that given my choice of any car that I could choose from the eighties, nineties, or present day none of them would even be in close consideration to a 57 Bel Aire or 69 Camaro. How`s that? I also can`t see sinking a bunch of money into a vehicle anymore either, so it`s really a moot point to me. They`re nice to look at, but my frugality wouldn`t allow me to spend the money it takes to have and/or maintain a "show car."
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I disagree with the part about no 80`s or 90`s car being a worthy Show Car. Your SuperVette may be a perfect example of an exception to that statement. Certainly however not all 90`s Vette`s are Show Cars. Though I believe the cars you have listed are represented correctly, you and anyone else reading your post knows that your comparison is like comparing apples to oranges. Needless to say that if you compare the Camaro`s price relative to other cars of it`s day it probably stacks up as a cheaper model in the price line up than the cars you have chosen to compare it to relative to today`s price line up. As poorly as the Camaro may handle when compared to the cars you have listed simple technology additions available today (tires, ladders etc., especially tires) would make the Camaro competitive with the modern cars listed when it comes to speed (with the exception of the Porsche or Cadillac). 40 years worth of technology changes the automotive world to no end. For starters a set of modern radial tires will improve both the way the Camaro launches and the way it corners. Modern brakes will make the Camaro brake with modern cars.

Mileage is another debatable arena, by and large modern cars will win hands down but I have personally owned a 312 H.P. HiPo 289 in a 68 Fake Snake Mustang that would get 25 mpg all day long if you kept your foot off of the floorboard. Sure the big CID engines suck fuel but my point is simply that horse power was available with respectable mileage. I`m not arguing the point but it will take something special in my opinion added to the modern cars listed before they become most peoples opinions of show cars (excepting the cars I previously listed). A special paint job, suspension mod, something. All this said in my less than worthless opinion the Camaro is infinitely more showable than the cars listed and I don`t even like Camaros, I`m a Mustang guy. Put a Yenko Camaro on the stage with the cars you have listed. Introduce a bunch of car guys and watch where they eyes spend their time. Anyway, your point is well taken.
    I think you missed my point.
    I agree none of the cars I listed would be a show car especially the VW Golf but their as delivered performance is better than the 69 Camaro.

The computer with EFI has made mileage and drive-ability much better.

Their are a lot of things that don`t make sense to me when it comes to show cars.

I have a good friend that has a radical custom that was a 1950 chevy 4 door sedan, It is now a 2 door 2 seated sports car and it has been featured in many magazines years ago.

He can not enter it in a NSRA car show because your car must be 48 or older.

If I buy a fiberglass body that is a 32 Ford replica and put the typical small block Chevy engine in it and it don`t have one bolt manufactured by Ford everything is brand new and it would be titled as a 2008 home assembled car.

Now if I take my 2008 home assembled car to a NSRA show they will say welcome brother come on in but a car built from a 1950 Chevy is too new,
    Does that make any sense to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Haha. Guess I should have qualified my response somewhat, although I thought I had when I mentioned in my humble opinion. I`m definitely not a racer or speedster, so that aspect never crossed my mind. I`m more of a styling and looks kind of guy, and in my opinion the two I mentioned are two (of a lot) that really standout in my mind.

I guess what I should have said is that given my choice of any car that I could choose from the eighties, nineties, or present day none of them would even be in close consideration to a 57 Bel Aire or 69 Camaro. How`s that? I also can`t see sinking a bunch of money into a vehicle anymore either, so it`s really a moot point to me. They`re nice to look at, but my frugality wouldn`t allow me to spend the money it takes to have and/or maintain a "show car."
    JP I agree the 57 Chevy and the 69 Camaro are both awesome classic cars it was you statment that they were better in ALL ASPECTS that I disagreed with.

Today`s ecomobox is nearly as fast as the 60`s muscle car,

When you start talking about changing tires and suspension components like gearhead mentioned then you have opened up a whole new can of worms

You are then into what I have done to my old Corvette and at that point it no longer matters much what the car is as far as performance goes because it becomes a matter of who did the most modifications,
    The one who spends the most money runs the fastest,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    The one who spends the most money runs the fastest,
    Hey I said something along these lines the other day in a post. Speed costs money, how fast would you like to go? Great minds think alike. That said, I feel bad for you.

We`ve got a bunch of hit and run pollsters. We`ve got 14 votes but only 7 responders carrying the discussion. I think all of them are hitting the "Other" category.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information