Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Laptop Computers?

Can you buy a decent laptop computer for $1000 or less?
    Not a gamer, just a surfer.

Charles

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Laptop Computers?

How bout Asus Eeepc ?
    Small(ish), light, battery last awhile, great for surfing, only 500++...I don`t have one but I want one
    ASUS Eee PC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

($449.99 after $100.00 Mail-In
    Rebate pdf ) at Newegg!
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Chee View Post
    How bout Asus Eeepc ?
    Small(ish), light, battery last awhile, great for surfing, only 500++...I don`t have one but I want one
    ASUS Eee PC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

($449.99 after $100.00 Mail-In
    Rebate pdf ) at Newegg!
    Interesting, but the 7" screen doesn`t sound near as appealing as a 17" screen. Actually, I think the 15" size is going to be about the largest available in the $1000 range.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

You should easily be able to snag one for well under $1,000.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    Interesting, but the 7" screen doesn`t sound near as appealing as a 17" screen. Actually, I think the 15" size is going to be about the largest available in the $1000 range.
    Charles all the LT PC that I have used where from company provided..how ever for screens, mouse and keyboards you can plug those all into you LP and when you travel you can make do with the smaller screen

To answer your question..I would think yes on a LT for a grand look for ones with rebates...Dell and Compaq I`ve had both and they have been great LT

One place to look is

http:TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, PC Components, & Electronics

This is the LT that I am using at this moment and its a great one IMO...

Compaq Presario C581WM Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Celeron M 530 1.73GHz, 802.11bg Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Windows Vista Home Basic RB-C581WM at TigerDirect.com
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been an IBM/Dell user until the last two laptops I purchased. I bought two new ones within the last year. I use a different laptop for work and home. I made a conscious decision to "go cheap" this time around. I purchased both a Toshiba and an HP. Both came in under a grand. They haven`t given anything away to the more expensive "big brands" that I`ve previously owned. The HP is the first non-Intel chip set that I`ve ever owned. I had a hard time talking my self into jumping ship. I got an AMD chip set in the HP this time. Now that I`ve done it and at the end of the day I would tell you it makes no discernible difference. All other things being equal, AMD`s can typically be found for less $$$`s.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

check out costco, my little sis got an acer for 500, its not a bad comp for the price...heck its not a bad laptop period
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies.
    I did do some research on the internet and it looks like $500 buys a lot of computer and $1000 to $1800 buys way more than I need.

My interest was stirred because of how my computer was working recently. It is at least 5 years old and I thought maybe it was time to think about replacing it. The laptop would have been used like a desktop so battery life and portability wouldn`t be a big issue.

My computer problems may have been my cable providers problems. Everything is working much better today. Computers are like cars, they rarely fix themselves. Right now, I`ll just keep on keeping on with the old one.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an HP laptop on closeout from Office Max three or so years ago. It has served us very well throughout the years and is still the wife`s primary computer. It`s about time for us to look at a new one as well. The case on this one is getting cracked in a few spots from being traveled with so much. But, the computer still runs well and doesn`t seem slow performance wise.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a longtime Intel user, but the last system I bought had an AMD processor. I agree no discernable difference. The only thing I had happen was the CPU fan went out after 5 years service. I never had that happen on an Intel based system. It would not prevent me from purchasing another.

Post Thanks / Like

Charles if you use it as a desktop system with only the need for minor portability you might consider looking into a 17 inch screen. They`re a little on the big side if you`re packing it around but for a desktop replacement you can get use to it in a hurry and will probably like the bigger screen.

Here`s another thought SNBC has a program that comes on at various times over the weekends. It`s called Notebook Computer Store. You can`t predict which brand the will be hawking on any given day but I have seen some excellent values come up on their show. Not so much when it comes to just a computer`s price but they usually add something like a 4 in 1 wireless printer or something else along those lines. I checked them a couple of times and their package price was about the same price as the identical computers at Circut City or CompUSA. Might be worth a shot if you have cable and an hour to kill.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I am typing on a 17" Toshiba (full keyboard) with every whistle and bell including built in camera & microphone, bluetooth, three USB ports . All with the latest processor, 2 gigs of RAM and a 200GB capacity. Paid $890. I have owned 8 laptops and Toshiba has positively kicked dirt in the faces of all the other manufacturers. They are excellent, don`t break, and one of the few that come with a start up/repair disc if something goes awry.

I also have a 15" Toshiba more than five years old that works as new. I just sold one that was older than that and still on the money. All the other brands I have owned including Acer, Dell, HP, and Compaq died shortly after warranty and were too expensive to repair. They went in the trash and the Toshibas are still cranking along. I won`t even consider another brand.

I bumped the 17" to 4 gigs of RAM and on wireless it will run circles around the desktop which is hard wired to the cable modem.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a big fun of getting them at the big box stores.. you might pay a little more money but the extra warrenty is worth it in my opion..

Buy the HP Pavilion dv9910us 17" Widescreen Entertainment Laptop and other Laptop computers at circuitcity.com

is nice...

Intel....

Buy the HP Pavilion dv6871us 15.4" Widescreen Entertainment Laptop and other Laptop computers at circuitcity.com

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    The laptop would have been used like a desktop so battery life and portability wouldn`t be a big issue.
    If you aren`t going to use it as a laptop, I think it would be cheaper to go with a desktop and get a big screen monitor.
    But, if you want a laptop "just in case" you could get a smaller screen laptop and a large monitor to hook up to it while at home. (The larger the screen, the larger the laptop, the less easily portable they get.)
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

For PC Laptop`s I`d check out Lenovo. That`s about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information