Post Thanks / Like

Sports equipment odor treatment

Does anyone have a recommendation for removing odor from hockey equipment.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sports equipment odor treatment

Originally posted by edschwab1
    Does anyone have a recommendation for removing odor from hockey equipment.

Eric
    Yea, burn it! :bigscream

Seriously, good question. Last week I went to check out my son`s hockey gear bag to make sure everything he needs is still in there. I found a practice jersey from sometime last season and the smell in the bag nearly knocked me out cold I must have emptied an entire srpay bottle of Fabreeze in the gear bag and now it smells like a brothel filled with sweaty ladies.

I think I`m going to try spraying all the equipment with Meguiars Odor Eliminator.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I remember seeing a product in the meg`s retail catalog designed specifically for sports equipment and other tough odors. I think it had a picture of a baseball bat on the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah I think that is the Meg`s Odor Eliminator that these use for sports equipment. It says on the label that it is good for the gym. This stuff works decent, but there must be a better product out there for odor removal, any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    The odor is caused by bacteria which continue to grow long after you neutralize odor. They need food and water to grow so leave your stuff in the sun, pad side up or use a blow drier to COMPLETELY dry the stuff out. Second, DO NOT USE LYSOL or other chemical disinfectants. Many contain chems that break down the foam and fabric of the padding. I don`t know about you but when I played football, I wanted every ounce of padding I could get! You can dissolve baking soda in warm water and pour it on the gear. Let it soak for 5-10 min, then rinse with water and let it dry in the sun or with a blow drier or use your extractor/shop vac to remove excess water then dry. Safe for fabric and reduces odor build up. Febreeze and probably that meg`s stuff neutralize odor and would be great to finish off with.
    The problem here is that it stays in fabric and when you sweat next time it solublizes in your sweat and gets on your skin. Some guys were getting rashes from that crap!
    Just some thoughts...
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to buy , OT odor treatment which I found out about while searching :google. I do air out my equipment out after using, but think an equipment tree would be a better way. I should contact the local AHL team (Amerks)equipment manager, and see what they use.

Natty,
    How do you have any money to buy detailing supplies or have time to detail with your sons` playing hockey?

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by edschwab1
    Natty,
    How do you have any money to buy detailing supplies or have time to detail with your sons` playing hockey?

Eric
    Tell me about it. Lucky me, he wants to play goalie and since there is a kid on the team who can play nothing but goal, they alternate games in net. So I end up not only having to srping for goalie eupiment but also for regular skaters equipment for when he`s playing out as a forward.

Actually, those extra $$ I make detailing is what pays for his hockey, his Karate, my daughter`s gymnastics, my wife`s health club membership and sometimes have a few extra $$ left to spend on trinkets for Dad. What really worries me is now my daughter (5 y/o) is saying she also wants to play ice-hockey next year. The registration alone is $800.00!!!!

I`ll never be able to retire.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Thread Information