Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fantasy Football?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE 1 View Post
    This is from Wikipedia and gives you the basics. And yes the points that you play for can be turned into cash or just play for fun.

Fantasy football (American)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Fantasy Football is a fantasy sports game in which participants (called "owners"), arranged into a league, each draft or acquire via auction a team of real-life American football players and then score points based on those players` statistical performance on the field. A typical fantasy league will employ players from a single football league, such as the NFL or an NCAA division. Leagues can be arranged in which the winner is the team with the most total points at the end of the season, or in a head-to-head format (which mirrors the actual NFL) in which each team plays against a single opponent each week, and at the end of the year the team with the best win-loss record wins the league. Most leagues set aside the last weeks of the regular season for their own playoffs.

Thanks Blueline! Sounds like fun! I wonder why nobody ever thought of doing that with Soccer in Austria!

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To answer Pockets and Niki, fantasy football is an online game using NFL players and their weekly performance. You can start/join a league and before the season starts, there will be a draft. At that point, you can pick your key position players and your offensive/defensive lines and special teams. You are taking who you feel are the best players from any team. Once you have your team selected, you can pick which players you want to start each week. In most leagues, you can even trade players until the NFL trade deadline.

Now that you have your starting line up, you wait until the first week of football to finish up. All of your players are graded and get points according to touchdowns, completions, catches, running yards, tackles, and other important plays. Most leagues that I`ve heard of have you playing another team in your league. Whichever of those two teams score the most points off of the system described above, is declared the winner. The rest of the season repeats itself as the weeks go by.

It may seem relatively simple, but it`s quite the opposite. To succeed, you need to know as much about the teams and key players as you can. The more you know, the better edge you`ll have against the other teams in your league.

EDIT***It looks like I took a bit too long to type out that response. Nice answer Blueline.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy View Post
    To answer Pockets and Niki, fantasy football is an online game using NFL players and their weekly performance. You can start/join a league and before the season starts, there will be a draft. At that point, you can pick your key position players and your offensive/defensive lines and special teams. You are taking who you feel are the best players from any team. Once you have your team selected, you can pick which players you want to start each week. In most leagues, you can even trade players until the NFL trade deadline.

Now that you have your starting line up, you wait until the first week of football to finish up. All of your players are graded and get points according to touchdowns, completions, catches, running yards, tackles, and other important plays. Most leagues that I`ve heard of have you playing another team in your league. Whichever of those two teams score the most points off of the system described above, is declared the winner. The rest of the season repeats itself as the weeks go by.

It may seem relatively simple, but it`s quite the opposite. To succeed, you need to know as much about the teams and key players as you can. The more you know, the better edge you`ll have against the other teams in your league.

EDIT***It looks like I took a bit too long to type out that response. Nice answer Blueline.
    Thanks audiboy - that was a great explanation! It really sounds like a lot of fun!

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think we will get money involved in our league atleast not this year. I believe that makes 5 including me so far.

We need 5-7 more. We will have to use the chat room to do our draft so I hope it works and doesn`t keep kicking people out.

Post Thanks / Like

So far we have;

1. me
    2. CWCAD
    3. audiboy
    4. Stephan
    5. Blueline 1

Post Thanks / Like

Is it something that is hard to to and do you have to know about football to do it (probably right)?? I dont get into those kinds of sports im more into the x sports (atv racing, dirt bike racing, snowboarding, bmx, etc...)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    Is it something that is hard to to and do you have to know about football to do it (probably right)?? I dont get into those kinds of sports im more into the x sports (atv racing, dirt bike racing, snowboarding, bmx, etc...)
    Well it works on a points system, so you would have to know players and their potentials along with what and when to draft certain player types.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Well it works on a points system, so you would have to know players and their potentials along with what and when to draft certain player types.
    Well that means that im out

Post Thanks / Like

I played fantasy football for the last 2 years. I walked into the draft as a favor to a friend who couldn`t make it. I had no idea what I was doing. Someone handed me a sheet with the players ranked by yahoo and I pretty much just picked the next available best player on the list. I came in second that first year. I won`t tell how I did last year.

Since I started it got addictive. Spent all day Sundays with the television on rooting for players instead of teams. I actually like it that way. Since Tampa dumped Dungy and Marino retired, I haven`t much cared for my local teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I started it got addictive. Spent all day Sundays with the television on rooting for players instead of teams. I actually like it that way. Since Tampa dumped Dungy and Marino retired, I haven`t much cared for my local teams.
    This statement is true for me also. I enjoy keeping up with the players and not the teams. I am a Cowboy fan, so maybe they`ll give me something to cheer about this year.
    Danny J. Whitehead

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

don`t draft too many players from Cincinatti they may not make it through the season ..just ask rabbi but you might want to draft their lawyers :
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    don`t draft too many players from Cincinatti they may not make it through the season ..just ask rabbi but you might want to draft their lawyers :
    Steve the witt is just to quick these last few days.

Troy.....just set a time and post it for the draft and I will be there. Am going to the drag strip Friday nite but that is the only thing that I have scheduled for this month.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I am hooked now - I`m in if it doen`t bother you that I am a complete rookie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwcad View Post
    Troy.....just set a time and post it for the draft and I will be there. Am going to the drag strip Friday nite but that is the only thing that I have scheduled for this month.
    Not sure yet. It will be an evening maybe next Monday around 8pm EST?

Quote Originally Posted by nikro000 View Post
    Ok, I am hooked now - I`m in if it doen`t bother you that I am a complete rookie.
    Maybe we should make it a money league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    Maybe we should make it a money league.

Yeah, well then I might hand you over my wallet right now.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information