Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

National Detail Directory??

On a BMW site that I post at...there is a guy that is starting to compile a professional detailer directory....If you where looking for a detailer in your area this would be a fast way to find one.

I think that its a great idea...the challenges would be in qualifying the detailers.....maybe you could list them as pro`s and novices....Seems like a huge project but one that would be worth it.

Any thoughts on this?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: National Detail Directory??

Excellent idea...shouldn`t be hard to do other then compliling the data...my question would be who classifies who is a novice and who is a pro...

Great idea though...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Excellent idea...shouldn`t be hard to do other then compliling the data...my question would be who classifies who is a novice and who is a pro...

Great idea though...
    I sent him my contact info but only want to be listed as a novice...meaning that I do not make a living at detailing.

I started a thread here a year or so back...about this...my idea was along the lines of 1-800 dentist, this seems like about the same idea

Here is the link

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/det...=1-800+dentist

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post

I started a thread here a year or so back...about this...my idea was along the lines of 1-800 dentist, this seems like about the same idea
    1-800-details...good idea...you could have a section on this site that has a locate a detailer in your area button. It can have a drop down of the state and then it gives you a list by location, and then by status...or something to that effect.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

1-800-details...good idea...you could have a section on this site that has a locate a detailer in your area button. It can have a drop down of the state and then it gives you a list by location, and then by status...or something to that effect.
    That was the idea that I had...still think that it can work...you would have to do a disclaimer with this....dentists they are licensed....then I would think that you would list it as pro vs novice

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem is novice vs pro. That sounds to me like saying just starting vs experienced.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem is novice vs pro. That sounds to me like saying just starting vs experienced.
    Then we could classify that by years of experience...that`s what I did with this other directory.

The one thing that I see about this is even if you have a detail shop that has been in business for 15 years...chances are they are hiring people that might not have the same level of experience as a person like me with over 30 years....would have to be a short blurb about the company / person explaining there level of experience....this the only area that I see as an obstacle

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it should say `Novice`, `Pro` and `Hobbyist`.

I`m sure there are a number of people with way more than adequate `experience` that only detail their own cars or family/friends cars. Those people may want to really start detailing (and be on this list) and have plenty of experience but aren`t really considered a `Pro` since they don`t own a detailing business.

I guess what I`m getting at is if I (an uneducated consumer) was to utilize this list...and I didn`t really want to pay what a `Pro` would charge, but I was skeptical of a `Novice` working on my car, I might find a `Hobbyist` and think that this guy has the experience without the high cost of a Pro with all of their overhead and such.

Does that make sense?? Or am I confusing things?

I guess if you can list years of experience that might work as well. Although I could say I`ve got 10 years of experience but only used a PC 4 times in those 10 years...which would certainly not make me as qualified as a guy who uses a PC for 4 years...10 times a day.

I guess it`s up to the customer to make an educated guess (or check the persons prior work) and hope that they pick someone that truly knows what they are doing.

Maybe I`m just over-analyzing this too much. It`s my `marketing` side of me coming out...how things can be `worded` in such a way to achieve what the customer really wants to hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Thats probably the way to do it...do you have a link to the site you are talking about so we can see it? Or is it not been posted yet?

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thats probably the way to do it...do you have a link to the site you are talking about so we can see it? Or is it not been posted yet?
    Its not posted online just yet...its a thread that he has running on a BMW site, in the detail section

YNOT

Years of hands on experience would be the way to do this...for me to feel some what safe in this would be to have a list of qualifying questions for the detailer....then a disclaimer for the site owner....and then it would be up to the person to call and talk with the detailer direct and make their decision....you could even list questions for people to ask the detailer so that they can get a better feel for them.

This whole thing about " detailing" is so loosely defined at times...drives me crazy when some kid starts washing cars and calls himself a detailer...I can talk to them for about 1 minute and understand what they know about detailing

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m not sure this is such a great idea..sorry to be a pesimist, but there are people i know with 20+ years experience that really $uck. Years doesn`t always mean good results or knowledge. Unlike a dentist who has to go to school for years and then be licensed, there are too many fly by night detailers. I know a few hobbyist that would blow many professionals right out of the water. Word of mouth in a locality is the way I`ve always worked whether it was a job for myself or finding someone else to do a job for a friend or customer.
    just my 2 cents
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    I`m not sure this is such a great idea..sorry to be a pesimist, but there are people i know with 20+ years experience that really $uck.
    Thats a valid point as well...there was a famous college coach (whose name escapes me at the moment) who said I will take talent over experience any day.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not sure this is such a great idea..sorry to be a pesimist, but there are people i know with 20+ years experience that really $uck. Years doesn`t always mean good results or knowledge. Unlike a dentist who has to go to school for years and then be licensed, there are too many fly by night detailers. I know a few hobbyist that would blow many professionals right out of the water. Word of mouth in a locality is the way I`ve always worked whether it was a job for myself or finding someone else to do a job for a friend or customer.
    just my 2 cents
    Steve

I totally agree with what you are saying....a qualifying questionnaire would help but certainly not eliminate those that wanted to be deceiving...It could boil down to a quality control person, who talks to each detailer before they are allowed to be in the publication...then a customer feed back of sorts...there is a way to control it....may be labor extensive, and not profitable...and that might be the reason it doesn`t exists..or the liability...that was the reason for the disclaimer....for that matter..what about someone that just drops their car off at any detail shop or gets a personal referral...what insurance do they have?

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    what about someone that just drops their car off at any detail shop or gets a personal referral...what insurance do they have?
    there`s none at all

ps..not to go toooo far off topic, but if you watch the tv show Hell`s Kitchen" and see the cast of characters they have cooking to eventually win their own restaurant, apply it to this case and Chef Ramsey would be kicking out a lot of unqualified people
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

there`s none at all

ps..not to go toooo far off topic, but if you watch the tv show Hell`s Kitchen" and see the cast of characters they have cooking to eventually win their own restaurant, apply it to this case and Chef Ramsey would be kicking out a lot of unqualified people
    So since there is no insurance that the detailer that you select is going to be good....this directory would be a rating system that allows the customer to be a bit more educated about his choice.

Question Steve?

If you talked to 15 people that all did detailing....part time or full time.....do you think that you could ask questions that would allow you to weed out the not so good ones from the better ones...or choose one that you would allow to work on your car or use as a referral?

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information