Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My $50 Valve-Stem

I was washing my BMW this morning, when I noticed that the valve stem looked like it was coming off kind of bulging out. Off the the tire store to get it replaced...of course the place that I got my tires from was closed along with a couple of other places...I find a decent tire store has all kinds if fancy rims out front...guy says he can change it in about 30 minutes....get done and I ask him what do I owe you...50 bucks

I said that`s a rip off and you know it....I wrote him a check..but plan on calling to talk to the owner tomorrow AM...there is no way that this should have costed that much...he said it was because I have real high end rims and they have to use special attention while they work on them...bull do do
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My $50 Valve-Steam

Is there anything that gets done on an expensive car that is less than $50.?

That`s a good reasonable excuse for over charging you. Better than saying the stem had to be brought in from over seas and is specially designed to make the car get better gas mileage.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that is a horrible excuse. They should be treating every wheel like it is worth its weight in platinum. My local tire store replaced all 4 of my valve stems(going from rubber to metal) on my old car and only charged me $20(under the table). I would definitely call the owner tomorrow and ask about the pricing they gave you.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Does your car have air pressure sensor? If so, that could be the source of the high cost. I saw on Discovery Channel (or some other show), that there`s two different types and one actually has a transmitter that sends a signal wirelessly to the receiver specifying the air pressure.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

well if you have 17 inch wheels most places will charge more for mounting them. When I had tires mounted they charged $25 each for mounting and balancing them. Figure a valve stem costs $2. I`d ask the owner for at least $23 back.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brace1 View Post
    Does your car have air pressure sensor? If so, that could be the source of the high cost. I saw on Discovery Channel (or some other show), that there`s two different types and one actually has a transmitter that sends a signal wirelessly to the receiver specifying the air pressure.
    Good point. But this is the only way it should have cost that much.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My $50 Valve-Stem

Wow everyone is going on about the guy "overcharging". No one has yet to say you should have asked how much it would be before hand. Which you should have.

I`m sure theres a reason, weather it be a special valve or just a minimum fee for small services like that. Let us know what the owner says.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer View Post
    Wow everyone is going on about the guy "overcharging". No one has yet to say you should have asked how much it would be before hand. Which you should have.

I`m sure theres a reason, weather it be a special valve or just a minimum fee for small services like that. Let us know what the owner says.
    TD

I didn`t and that was my fault...I really didn`t think that it was going to be that much....as mnay times that I have had stems changed I`ve never had anyone ask that much....To answer other questions no this is a standard stem not one of those air presssure ones...I`ll post later this AM about what the out come is

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I got a flat on my Murano, brought it to Town Fair Tire (not sure if you have them where you are) and they repaired the flat, told me it was a nail. They handed me the keys and told me I was all set, I asked them how much they said no charge. I had not even purchased my tires there.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I just called the tire store and I asked how much to change the stem...quoted $20 it was the same guy that I talked to yesterday...I am headed down there to talk to the owner NOW!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I just called the tire store and I asked how much to change the stem...quoted $20 it was the same guy that I talked to yesterday...I am headed down there to talk to the owner NOW!

Good luck I hope you get some money back...makes me wonder if he saw your BMW and figured lets charge him $50...I know they do that around here where I live.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Good luck I hope you get some money back...makes me wonder if he saw your BMW and figured lets charge him $50...I know they do that around here where I live.
    I was thinking the same thing about my BMW

He said that it was because I had special high end rims...but that`s there business they had all kinds of high end rims in the store..that`s was an excuse is all

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

OK talked to the owner and he said that it should have been $15 and that he has my check and was going to hold it for me...I will go down there later this week and take care of it

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Well at least you are getting back the money you deserve. Alot of people don`t question the cost of items and or services, they probably bank on a good portion of their clients never questioning it. Its very similar to mail in rebates...most people never fill them out.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that I don`t ever need to replace the valve stems on my truck because they are $100 a piece. Then I have to go through the pain of finding someone who can replace it without damage to the wheel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information