...Dreaming on an E92.... LikeaRock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing: Not only good for cars, but fab-work as well!

I think my detailing eye paid off with this project, I had a lot of fun making these And I thought I`d show off the finished product

I`m heading off for the weekend tomorrow on a wheeling trip with my brother and a group of his friends, I wanted to get these babies made up before hand because I plan on "testing the limits" with my rig, I just hope I don`t go too crazy and do some real damage But even if I do, it simply means it`s time to upgrade!

Total build cost: About $60
    Cost of a brand spankin` new set with black powdercoat: For a GOOD pair, I`ve seen mainly $225+

Went to a local hardware store and purchased a 10` piece of 3"x3/16" Angle iron, 12 1" long 3/8" bolts along with nuts and 2 sizes of washers, some Rustoleum primer and Satin black paint. Tools used were an Angle grinder, TONS of cut-off wheels ad a grinding wheel, hand file. drill & bits, and a ratchet/wrenches.
    I ran these suckers from wheel well to wheel well so I`d cover the whole body, cut the 10` piece into half and each half down to 56". The first 18" on the rocker was cut down to 1/2" tall to clear the front flare extensions. I thought about taking the ext.`s off but thought it`d look goofy so I opted for this route instead. Rear was basically the same, knocked off 1-1/2" to clear the rear flare. I remembered I had a couple cans on undercoating so I sprayed the inside to prevent metal-to-metal contact with the body and on the outside as well for a more "custom" look. Sprayed over that with the satin black and Viola, finished!
    I know I didn`t line up all the holes perfectly while drilling, I got a little anxious and rushed so I could see what the finished product would look like. They won`t be on long though, I`ve already got a plan for some bigger/beefier ones Going to start work on a front and a rear bumper too. I`m picking up some differential skidplates in the morning as well But I think I`ll use them to design my own. I`m digging this fab-work, it`s freaking sweet!

Yea it`s dirty, but we just had a rain

I think I have to paint my underbody after looking at that...lol

Questions/Comments?

Dolan
    "Lifes too short to live in caution"

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing: Not only good for cars, but fab-work as well!

Well, they look like they will do the job. It`s cool that you decided to do this yourself. I respect people a lot more if they do the modifications themselves. It`s even better that you made them yourself. You should be very proud of the finished product. The only thing I don`t like is the allignment of the bolts. I know you were excited to see a finished product, but the position of the bolts in relation to each other shows that you were in a hurry. You might want to think about painting the bolt heads to disguise the allignment and to give it a more clean look overall. I`d give it a 9/10 overall.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fab job
    I agree with Audi on spraying the bolts to give it a finished look.

"J"

...Dreaming on an E92.... LikeaRock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The bolts will get sprayed this morning before I leave, it`s one thing I wanted to do. And FWIW when I say I meant for them to be aligned better, I still wanted them to be staggered top-to-bottom (Figured it`d hold the iron in place much better) but to have them lined up a bit straighter would have been nice. Like said though, it`s another excuse to make a new set
    "Lifes too short to live in caution"

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn`t trying to say that you should line up all 6, just saying that each group of 3 should be level. That`s really the only negative thing I see though. Everything else looks great and gives a really clean look to your Jeep. The added bonus of functionality just makes it that much better.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Thread Information