Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for the mechanics

So today I took my car in to the dealership. The gear box has been getting stuck(it`s an 06 Nissan Altima with an automatic transmission). So, for about a week, I have been having this trouble. I pump the brake a few times and it works, if not, I stick a screwdriver in the little hole thing(the override button) and it works fine.

Being the amateur I am, I decided I don`t know what`s wrong with it so i take it in. I`m thinking maybe the brakes need to be bled or there`s a chip problem.

Well, I get a call at 7:45 this morning telling me that coffee has spilled in there and gummed it up. They tried cleaning it but they are not sure if that fixed it. They said that it may cost me $600 to fix the problem.

So I`m like what? I was not too nice on the phone as I was awoken(i have no classes today).

So heres my problem. Would spilled coffee cause this problem? I don`t remember spilling anything into the gear box because I am very careful of that.

What I`m confused about is the fact that when i pump the brakes or use the manual override it works. Now I`m no rocket scientist, but if it where gummed with coffee(or something else of that nature) would it not matter if I over ride the problem, the gears should still be stuck.

Also I have issues with the fact that this problem could occur. I treat my car a lot better than most, so what`s happening to them?

They said it didn`t need to be replaced yet, but I`m confused what to do.

When, and if, it does need to be fixed, should I argue this or let it be?
    There is another Nissan dealership close by that I may take it to for a second opinion.

So for those mechanics out there, what would you advise? I don`t know much about this kind of stuff, so i could totally be wrong.

Thanks for the info

Mike
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have a question for the mechanics

You didn`t damage the gear box(transmission) you damaged the shift interlock solenoid its in the shift gate under the console. Yeah people spill pop and coffee on the console all the time and it seeps into the shift gate and gums it up. Repaired a ton of these when I worked in the dealership. Most of the time you can clean the gunk out out of the shift interlock solenoid and it will work great, but remember when it gets hot out the gunk may jam it up again. Some times you can`t repair them (shorted out solenoid or controller) and parts are not cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this site it`s a Toyota system but the Nissan system works about the same.
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h18.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for the info, i appricate it. I still dont like the way the dealership went about it, but i do appricate the info so thank you
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwgtivw View Post
    You didn`t damage the gear box(transmission) you damaged the shift interlock solenoid its in the shift gate under the console. Yeah people spill pop and coffee on the console all the time and it seeps into the shift gate and gums it up. Repaired a ton of these when I worked in the dealership. Most of the time you can clean the gunk out out of the shift interlock solenoid and it will work great, but remember when it gets hot out the gunk may jam it up again. Some times you can`t repair them (shorted out solenoid or controller) and parts are not cheap.

I think he`s right. Unless your brake lights only work some of the time/not at all. I just think its kind of sketchy that you don`t remember spilling coffee inside and they tell you, you did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneek View Post

I think he`s right. Unless your brake lights only work some of the time/not at all. I just think its kind of sketchy that you don`t remember spilling coffee inside and they tell you, you did.

Well ipicked up my car, everything is ok. they didnt bring up the issue again which was good. I was in no mood to "discuss" it. The only thing they tried to add on was 45 buck wiper blades.

cant blame them for trying.

Thanks for the help

and sneek, i thought so to. I talked to my brother (who borrowed my car for a day) and he said he did not spill anything, so i dunno, I guees its done and over with now...no 600 buck cylonide for me.

on a posative note, there was no washing of my car. I put a note on the form.

On the little tag there was do not wash about 5 times in bright purple. That made me very happy
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwgtivw View Post
    This is correct and glad vwgtivw understood because your referencing of the gearbox was really confusing the hell out of me..

I will confirm that this is indeed a legit problem. It also happens with the Air Bag on/Off switch in the Ford F-150. seems Ford mount the switch just about the cup holders and the same things happens triggering the Air Bag light on the dash.

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Thread Information