Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting paid what you are worth?

When lawyers wonder why so many people don`t have much respect for them, maybe taking a look at cases like the Microsoft class action suit might help them see the problem. The suit in Iowa was just settled and the details won`t be released until April. The case in Minnesota was settled earlier and the amounts were released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo News
    In the Minnesota case, the lawyers sought more than $300 million from the company. During trial, the case settled for $174.5 million. Lawyer fees were about $59.4 million, according to court documents. The six plaintiffs who brought the case forward received $5,000 each
    I`m sure the whole thing was for the benefit of all the people that Microsoft ripped off. The attorney fees were probably just an incidental occurance.
    The attorney that tries to do the right things and charge a reasonable fee must wonder why he bothers.

Charles

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting paid what you are worth?

Most lawyers are in it for money. I didn`t say all.

I mean, when you are defending a murderer, child molester, Sadam, etc, I mean c`mon, what are you doing it for? Anyine in their right mind would not defend people like that. The thing that matters to them has to be $$$$
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

I mean, when you are defending a murderer, child molester, Sadam, etc, I mean c`mon, what are you doing it for? Anyine in their right mind would not defend people like that. The thing that matters to them has to be $$$$
    I don`t think there is any question that money was behind these cases.
    While I have never understood the motivation, lots of attorneys take cases where the average person couldn`t even stand to talk to the individual.
    I`m sure money enters into it, but what about the public defenders that aren`t highly paid. For some, it`s a stepping stone to better things. Others do it for years at their own choice.
    Maybe it`s the challenge.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

That my freind is the value of an education
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail
    That my freind is the value of an education
    Do you really believe that?
    Does having an education justify the ridiculous amounts of money those people get from the class action suits?
    The old joke about ambulance chasers gave the lawyers more credit than that.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Do you really believe that?
    Does having an education justify the ridiculous amounts of money those people get from the class action suits?
    The old joke about ambulance chasers gave the lawyers more credit than that.

Charles
    Ya i do belive that. The reason i do is becasue you are paid to perfom a skill that others dont have. It is a ridculous amout of money but if the poeple could do it themselves then they wouldnt need the lawyers.

You pay for a plumber to come fix the plumbing when it breaks, i sometimes think its redicouls what they charge just to look at the problem (ya its not as much as a lawyer but the point remains).

At the end of the day it comes down to supply and demand. If prices get to high then people will re evaluare the lawsuite.

You go to school to become learned, it takes alot of work and dedication. The money is the pay off at the end of the day. (no pun intended)
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

Before I start off, I should probably say I just graduated from Law School(taking the bar in 2 weeks) and am from a Family of Lawyers. The reason why attorney`s take cases like these is because everyone is innocent until proven guilty. If lawyers did not take cases like these, then the courts will only be open to the rich and our whole judicial system would be a sham. It is important to note that not everyone charged is guilty. Could you imagine being wrongfully charged and not being able to do anything about it?

Do you get paid to detail? I am pretty sure you don`t do it for the love of detailing. You do it for the money. Not all attorneys make a ton of money either. My brother is a Prosecutor and makes around $43k a year! Not much when you figure his bill for law school was close to $130,000!

With that being said, I also take issue with class actions suits like the one mentioned here. I don`t think those attorney`s deserve to get that much money for that settlement. The people getting screwed are the plaintiffs who will get $10.00 bucks each, while the attorneys are raking it in.

I just want to caution everyone who watches these ridiculous TV shows(they are for enjoyment purposes, NOT FACTUAL in the least), and hear about "frivolous" lawsuits from the Media, and believe this is how our judicial system is run. Before believing it, do some research and you will see this is not the reality. The judicial system is NOTHING like what it is portrayed like on TV or in the media.

It is true, there are hacks in all fields. Their are bad detailers and there are bad attorneys. You can`t judge the whole profession by looking at a few bad apples. I just ask that you only "dump" on the bad ones, and not the whole profession

Post Thanks / Like

It`s like charging a customer a certain amount to detail their car depending on their income.

You have a 2005 Volvo and make 45k a year, I will charge 135 for a full detail
    You have a 2005 Volvo and make 125k a year, I will charge 450 for a full detail

That is how they work. You make more, they want more. No set rate.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t get understand your point. An hourly rate/percentage of final settlement doesn`t change based upon the Plaintiff`s financial well-being.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me start by saying I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV

Agree wholeheartedly, and a fact that often goes forgotten...
    Quote Originally Posted by g00dy03
    ...The reason why attorney`s take cases like these is because everyone is innocent until proven guilty. If lawyers did not take cases like these, then the courts will only be open to the rich and our whole judicial system would be a sham. It is important to note that not everyone charged is guilty...
    and this (except the spelling...CG you know I`m just giving it to ya )
    Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDetail
    Ya i do belive that. The reason i do is becasue you are paid to perfom a skill that others dont have. It is a ridculous amout of money but if the poeple could do it themselves then they wouldnt need the lawyers....
    If you want to get paid like a lawyer (or any other highly compensated position), become one. Everyone can`t be, a doctor, lawyer, or indian chief.

I think the worst kind of lawyer (or doctor, or detailer, or...) is a bad one. Unfortunately the potential consequences for a bad doctor or lawyer can be far more devastating than a bad detailer, cashier....

Jordan_B

I`m in medical school so that I can help make people healthy. If a serial rapist gets shot by a victim I won`t be able to refuse treatment. Actually, I will do everything in my power to make sure he is fit for trial! A good prosecuter will do EVERYTHING in his/her power to ensure a fair trial for even the worst criminal so that a conviction will be upheld.

The sliding scale rates you mentioned Texas don`t gouge the rich, they are set up to help poor people get the same services that someone with a greater income would get at a lesser rate.

My detailing rates on the other hand... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_B
    I`m in medical school so that I can help make people healthy. If a serial rapist gets shot by a victim I won`t be able to refuse treatment. Actually, I will do everything in my power to make sure he is fit for trial! A good prosecuter will do EVERYTHING in his/her power to ensure a fair trial for even the worst criminal so that a conviction will be upheld.

The sliding scale rates you mentioned Texas don`t gouge the rich, they are set up to help poor people get the same services that someone with a greater income would get at a lesser rate.

My detailing rates on the other hand... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I know that as a paralegal when I do contract work I bill myself out at $90 an hour. That is a fairly standard price actually. Most lawyers bill out their paralegals at around $90 - $150 an hour and then pay the paralegal around $45. We are a profit center for them, so I guess that is why they do it. I don`t do it to get rich. I do it because I really am interested in justice and making sure people are protected. That`s why I only work for attorneys doing contracts and copyrights and that sort of thing. I like protecting people`s rights.

I agree that legal fees are outrageous though. I know the education, experience, and knowledge is valuable, but seriously..... To take what they do when you win a case is a little out of this world.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    I agree that legal fees are outrageous though. I know the education, experience, and knowledge is valuable, but seriously..... To take what they do when you win a case is a little out of this world.
    Outrageous in many instances and I think the example I used fits that description quite well.
    In many instances, they probably earn their money. (Probably)
    Hey, I was overpaid for what I used to do, just not to that extent.

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    Hey, I was overpaid for what I used to do, just not to that extent.

Charles
    I`m not ..I need to raise prices
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information