Post Thanks / Like

Breaking News!!!

Anna Nicole Smith pronounced dead in FL this afternoon

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Breaking News!!!

Well thats shocking.

I bet it was a mixture of pills and liquor that did her in. Just like her son.

I'm FloridaNative on AG Jen@autogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just heard that too. She died right here in my city not 15 minutes from my house! I feel so sorry for her little baby. I just saw her in an interview last night on ET and she looked so high. Whatever she died from I wouldn`t be surprised if it`s drug related. Poor girl. Just shows that money can`t buy happiness.
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
    Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just heard about this as well. I can`t say that I`m too surprised though. Her life has always been a roller coaster ever since the publicity she got for her marriage and from her shoot in Playboy. With the death of a husband and son, she was probably feeling lost and/or empty which is understandable. It will be interesting to see what the autopsy reveals.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

I just don`t understand why this is getting the media attention it is. Of all the things happeneing in the world, this was all over the news channels last night. I mean, what exactly has this woman done to warrant the widespread attention? I don`t understand, which is probably a good thing for me.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Who didn`t see this coming. Darwin strikes again.

Post Thanks / Like

Breaking News? Some whacked out coke head died, big deal. She made her bed she can sleep in it now. Breaking news should be about a police officer that died in the line of duty or some little kids that died in an accidental house fire. A million people will attend this crack whores funeral too. But someone that really mattered in the world will get a hundred mourners.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know if it has as much to do with the person, as much as it has to do with the money.
    Regardless of what people think about her there is still a battle over her chunk of a 1.5 BILLION dollar estate and that helps make it news worthy.
    There is also a paternity suite regarding her child, so I will expect to see her names in the news for quite some time.

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

There is also a paternity suite regarding her child, so I will expect to see her names in the news for quite some time.
    It will be around for awhile. James Brown has been gone for over a month now, and the local media has a diffrent story everyday on him. His family is in a local court today over his estate. To me the wierd thing is that they haven`t even buried the man yet. The reason I mention JB is because some of our local radio stations have been comparing the two, and their accomplishments along with their drug abuse over the years. I`m sure there is much more to come on the death of Anna Nicole Smith.
    Danny J. Whitehead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer
    I just don`t understand why this is getting the media attention it is. Of all the things happeneing in the world, this was all over the news channels last night. I mean, what exactly has this woman done to warrant the widespread attention? I don`t understand, which is probably a good thing for me.
    JP

She was the rise and the fall of a starlet, made some bad choices along the way, but she did what she wanted and in her own rights was successful.

The reason why she is getting so much media is the tabloid business is huge and allot of people thrive on that stuff. Another is the controversy of her life, makes great stories.

Do I agree with all this not really, but then I have a choice I can not read / watch the hype

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the people at Trim Spa might be involved lots of controversy with them right now
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Silicon poisoning, that`s my guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Drugs and alcohol I think will be the underlining reasons. She has access to a lot of prescriptions drugs, as she was well networked.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Drugs and alcohol I think will be the underlining reasons
    I agree. Don`t be suprised if it wasn`t the same combo of drugs that killed her son.
    Danny J. Whitehead

Post Thanks / Like

THIS column is either part of the problem or a thought on its solution.

We comment; you decide.

The late Murray Kempton once described editorial writers as "the people who come down from the hill after the battle to shoot the wounded." Nowadays, media analysts are the guys who follow behind them, going through the pockets of the dead looking for loose change.

So, yes, this column is about Anna Nicole Smith.

Friday morning, less than 24 hours after she died in a Florida hotel room, the Drudge Report — our media culture`s digital arbiter of all things tacky and prurient — had 12 items posted on the onetime topless dancer. That would account for some of the media frenzy surrounding her death. It`s a little-known fact, but certain sectors of the broadcast media have long believed that if a dozen items on Anna Nicole Smith ever were posted on Drudge simultaneously, it would herald the onset of the apocalypse.

Who knew? This is the way the world ends — neither with a bang nor a whimper but with cleavage.

Of course, one of the cheapest journalistic tricks going is to get a piece of a mindless, tawdry media frenzy by denouncing it. The writer gets to wallow profitably in whatever gutter has everybody`s attention while still being wry and high-minded. The readers get to join the fun without losing their self-respect. It`s a win-win sort of arrangement for a certain knowing-wink-and-sly-nod wing of the media culture.

And yet…. When a story takes on the sheer scope and intensity of the Anna Nicole Smith frenzy there`s something willful in the unexamined impulse to look away. Plain curiosity is an essential ingredient of the journalistic enterprise, and those who deny its operation in the interest of some higher value usually are not entirely to be trusted.

In the case of the unfortunate Smith, there was something almost touchingly retro about her wretched train wreck of a life. She wasn`t, in fact, celebrated just for being a celebrity, as is the current mode. She`d earned her notoriety the old-fashioned way: She took her clothes off for it, then married rich — though like so much else in her ambit, that apparently didn`t turn out very well. Americans have a hard time abiding a tale of struggle without reward, or a story without a happy ending, which is why we so often confer a disproportionate posthumous attention on the plucky but dubious dead. Depending on how you look at it, it`s a reflection of either our collective good-heartedness or our common sappiness. Maybe the ultimate guarantor of the former is our unwillingness to worry too much about the latter.

Those slightly melancholic reflections aside, the broad media response to Smith`s end bears some separate consideration. Clearly, public interest in her death was intense. Several celebrity-oriented websites crashed because so many people attempted to read about her. Mainstream news organizations, like this one, had page after page of reader comments about her posted to their online sites. Thursday night, the cable news and entertainment channels were, as we`ve come to expect, wall-to-wall Anna Nicole Smith.

What was different here was the way in which she made the leap from tabloid covers to the front pages of ostensibly serious newspapers.

The mainstream journalistic coverage of Smith`s death is among the first such stories driven, in large part, by an editorial perception of public interest derived mainly from Internet traffic. Throughout the afternoon Thursday, editors across the country watched the number of "hits" recorded for online items about Smith`s death. These days, it`s the rare newspaper whose meeting to discuss the content of the next day`s edition doesn`t include a recitation of the most popular stories on the paper`s website. It`s a safe bet that those numbers helped shove Anna Nicole Smith onto a lot of front pages.

What makes this of more than passing interest is that serious American journalism is in the process of transforming itself into a new, hybrid news medium that combines traditional print and broadcast with a more purposefully articulated online presence. One of the latter`s most seductive attributes is its ability to gauge readers` appetites for a particular story on a minute-to-minute basis. What you get is something like the familiar television ratings — though constantly updated, if you choose to treat them that way.

There`s no point belaboring what the ratings preoccupation has done to broadcast news, particularly the once-promising 24-hour cable news channels. Today, their prime-time slots all are dominated by clones of Fox`s Bill O`Reilly because his show draws the medium`s biggest nightly audience. Even MSNBC`s Keith Olbermann simply is an anti-O`Reilly. Nothing more complicated about his shtick, whatever his bosses make of it. Life is short, so let`s not talk about CNN Headline`s Nancy Grace or Glenn Beck.

The point is that the transformation of cable television news into a snarling verbal food fight with a scant informational component happened because the people running it decided to let the numbers run them.

Television ratings or aggregated "hits" on newspaper websites constitute useful marketing information. When they`re transmuted into editorial tools, what you get is a kind of faux-empiricism that can create a false but nearly irresistible authority. It`s that most misleading of commodities, information without context. It is data, but not necessarily information, that you can use because you understand the data. In the case of these accumulations of online hits, it is hard to know what you`re measuring beyond a 24-hour fad or the inclinations of obsessive people with too much time on their hands.

Standing on the cusp of this inevitable transformation, it`s a good moment for American newspapers to take a reflective breath to consider just how they want to play this numbers game — or, more important, whether they want to play it at all.

If that were to occur, then Anna Nicole Smith would not have died in vain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    timothy.rutten@latimes.com

Thread Information