Post Thanks / Like

The reason I want to nickname my Chevrolet after a Plymouth

I had nicknamed my black Camaro `Darth,` because when I first saw the picture on the dealer`s website, it reminded me of Darth Vader - an all-black car in a white room. I was washing the new one a few days ago, wondering if I would have a nickname for it, when Loony Tunes suddenly popped into my head ...

"Roadrunner," after the cartoon bird.

Why? Well, because it is a very striking blue, it`s FAST, with more HP than the 6.2 V8 in the SS Camaro (RWHP 376 /RW Torque 319), and also because in the cartoon, the coyote could never catch the roadrunner.

That led me to an inside joke because of the name Ford gave the engine in the Mustang GT - "Coyote." I started laughing at the image, thinking the "Coyote" would have a hard time catching THIS "Roadrunner," and it kind of stuck with me. I`m even considering getting a stuffed roadrunner (like the one in the cartoon) and sitting it on the supercharger at car shows.

I mentioned it on a few of my other auto forums, and no surprise, many auto purists had a fit. "Naming A Chevy after a Mopar?" and "That`s stealing a trademark" etc.

The naysayers did trouble me at first, but then I thought: "It`s MY car, I`m not trying to pass it off as anything, I just think that RR might be an appropriate nickname due to it`s performance."

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The reason I want to nickname my Chevrolet after a Plymouth

Don:
    Don`t name your car after something that is trademarked and copyrighted by another manufacturer. I know it is your car and you can name it anything you want, but as some of the other "automotive purist" have stated, it is just not in good taste or will cause more ridicule to you and the car should "that name" or insignia`s of that trademark be placed on the car.
    My suggestion? How about a custom state-issued license plate (they are called vanity plates in Wisconsin) with the registered inscription ID of VET KLR (for KILLER) or BLUFAST or BLUCMRO (CMRO for Camaro) or HYPRBLU or BLUBYU (Blew By You; get it)? Or advertising for your coating manufacturer with the ID of NXTGEN??

Or name it after a rock group like "Moody Blues" or "Blues Brothers" or "Blue Oyster Cult" or "The Shocking Blue" or "Blues Traveller" (my choice)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The reason I want to nickname my Chevrolet after a Plymouth

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I had nicknamed my black Camaro `Darth,` because when I first saw the picture on the dealer`s website, it reminded me of Darth Vader - an all-black car in a white room. I was washing the new one a few days ago, wondering if I would have a nickname for it, when Loony Tunes suddenly popped into my head ...

"Roadrunner," after the cartoon bird.

Why? Well, because it is a very striking blue, it`s FAST, with more HP than the 6.2 V8 in the SS Camaro (RWHP 376 /RW Torque 319), and also because in the cartoon, the coyote could never catch the roadrunner.

That led me to an inside joke because of the name Ford gave the engine in the Mustang GT - "Coyote." I started laughing at the image, thinking the "Coyote" would have a hard time catching THIS "Roadrunner," and it kind of stuck with me. I`m even considering getting a stuffed roadrunner (like the one in the cartoon) and sitting it on the supercharger at car shows.

I mentioned it on a few of my other auto forums, and no surprise, many auto purists had a fit. "Naming A Chevy after a Mopar?" and "That`s stealing a trademark" etc.

The naysayers did trouble me at first, but then I thought: "It`s MY car, I`m not trying to pass it off as anything, I just think that RR might be an appropriate nickname due to it`s performance."

I’d say go for it I bet all the purist are over 65….90% of humans people don’t even know there was a car named road runner but know there’s a bird that the coyote chases named road runner

I would call it THE road runner…. Cuz it outruns coyotes….. as you said it’s your car and why does that matter to other people…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Don liked this post
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Thread Information