Post Thanks / Like

The Camaro is dead! Long live the Camaro

Last month, on the 18th, a distracted (being nice) driver totaled my black 2013 Camaro, and I was found "at fault" for swerving to keep him from t-boning me. I still get MAGOR POed even thinking about it.

Fast-forward, and my wife (bless her), who found the black one as a Christmas present to me in 2015, also found its replacement.

The new (to me) one, is a 2017 Camaro 2LT. 3.6 V6, 6 speed manual trans and ALL the toys with 80K miles. It was a 6 hour road trip to get the car, but it was worth it - because the previous owner installed an Edelbrock Supercharger!! Which took the REAR WHEEL horsepower to 376 (442 @ crank).

Today is "D" day, as in detail. I did an intense wash and decon of the beautiful blue paint yesterday, removed a TON of TOGW (and there`s still some left that I missed yesterday). Otherwise, it`s in really good condition-the last owner took decent care of it, just not to MY standards. The only `rough spots` are the roof and trunk lid (water spots and light-medium swirling).

I ordered Dr Beasley`s NSP 95, which is being delivered TODAY, and I was sent some NXTZEN 365 Pro (a 1 year coating) by the US distributor with the instructions to fully test and report on my experience honestly.

So not only is the new car getting its first real detail, I get to try out the Dr`s primer polish and a sample of a 1-year coating (my 1st coating). So I will make a video of it all and post it to YouTube either tonight or tomorrow.

"It didn`t happen without pics," so here you go:

Over $14,100 in damage

The new one

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs, Vegas1 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Camaro is dead! Long live the Camaro

Yikes Don. That really stinks. The new one looks amazing though, congratulations! Hope you have plans for a dash cam!
    Likes Don liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Yikes Don. That really stinks. The new one looks amazing though, congratulations! Hope you have plans for a dash cam!
    They (I bought one for my wife`s car as well), are due to be here Monday, the 11th
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was just talking to someone a few minutes ago who has cams in their work trucks, that saved them yesterday when someone went through a red light and hit the truck. As in Don`s case, the truck apparently is totaled, but no one hurt, and the driver "at fault" shown in the video.

Post Thanks / Like

Horrible about your car getting wreaked, but goid your ok and not hurt. But also good to see you bounced back to what looks like an amazing replacement. Great color and nice performance toy owner added to it. Did he do an exhaust too?
    What dash cams did you buy? I have been wanting one myself, but don`t want all the extras, just a very simple cam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Horrible about your car getting wreaked, but goid your ok and not hurt. But also good to see you bounced back to what looks like an amazing replacement. Great color and nice performance toy owner added to it. Did he do an exhaust too?
    What dash cams did you buy? I have been wanting one myself, but don`t want all the extras, just a very simple cam.
    Yes, it has an exhaust as well. As for the dash cams, I`m none too thrilled with the ones I ordered - overly complicated, poor instructions, etc. I should have done a LOT more research.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I have some cheapo Yi brand and they have been OK but next one will be a Garmin.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some cheapo Yi brand and they have been OK but next one will be a Garmin.
    Well at least they aren`t Ye brand, and I guess that figures now that no one buys GPS`s anymore that Garmin would be making dash cams. Although I think they actually do nav systems for airplanes which is how they got into the car ones.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the replacment/new car! Love the blue...and awesome that it is supercharged!!! Can`t wait to see more pics!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Congrats on the replacment/new car! Love the blue...and awesome that it is supercharged!!! Can`t wait to see more pics!
    A video of it getting a ceramic coating from NxtZen is coming soon.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

So what is happening to the old black 2013 Camaro.?? I assume because of its model age and odometer mileage that its wholesale vehicle value (AKA dealer price) is less than than cost of repairs, hence it was deemed"totaled" by your insurance company. Are you going to keep it and fix it or was it signed over to the insurance company?

I also suggest that you fight your "at fault" accident judgment. Why? Because it will cost you dearly in the coming years for your auto insurance. Unfortunately, the cost of a lawyer and the time it will take to undo this "at fault" judgment may offset any financial gains from doing so. I would ask your insurance agent about this first. Depending on the insurance company itself and how long you have been with that insurance company, you may be able to mitigate some of the vehicle insurance premium increase or even the possibility of being dropped for coverage altogether. Vehicle insurance companies are in a huge state of flux and change right now due to the high cost of parts and repairs along with inflated used-car replacement prices. Some companies are no longer underwriting new policies for customers changing from one company to another in order to find a "better price". You may be "stuck" with insurer you have. Since I do not know the particulars of your situation, I will let you sort that out and assume you have already experienced and worked through some or all of these insurance scenarios.

ON the new-to-you 2017 Blue Camaro, CONGRATULATIONS! I am sure you will be missing the old black 2013, but this 2017 sounds and looks like a suitable "consolation" replacement. You are fortunate to have a wife who looks out for you vehicle-wise and does not mind (or at least puts up with or tolerates) your OCD detailing exploits and expenses!

Keep us posted. Looking forward to your review and evaluations on the NXTGEN 365 Pro coating.

AND I had to figure out what the acronym TOGW meant by doing a search within this forum because it is not on the acronym decoder ring list. It means The Other Guy`s Wax. Well, now I know. Don`t you as an Obsessive-Compulsive Detailer (OCD`er) just "dislike" that when you see missed wax or sealants left behind and not wiped off on trim, panel gaps or rubber seals within those gaps, or insignia`s and decals (my personal pet peeve), and/or locks and handles attached to doors or trunks, or antennas or cell phone connection blocks on roofs. A re-purposed soft bristle tooth brush (or small boar`s hair brush, or BHB ) and Q-Tips and 3M`s 08984 General-Purpose Adhesive Cleaner or similar prep wax remover, along with a little judicious brushing with the tooth brush and probing-&-circular oscillation (AKA back-and-forth rolling) with Q-Tips are your best friends.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    So what is happening to the old black 2013 Camaro.?? I assume because of its model age and odometer mileage that its wholesale vehicle value (AKA dealer price) is less than than cost of repairs, hence it was deemed"totaled" by your insurance company. Are you going to keep it and fix it or was it signed over to the insurance company?

Over $14,100 in damage to the car, I didn`t want or need that hassle of dealing with a salvage-titled car, so I just signed it over

I also suggest that you fight your "at fault" accident judgment. Why? Because it will cost you dearly in the coming years for your auto insurance. Unfortunately, the cost of a lawyer and the time it will take to undo this "at fault" judgment may offset any financial gains from doing so. I would ask your insurance agent about this first. Depending on the insurance company itself and how long you have been with that insurance company, you may be able to mitigate some of the vehicle insurance premium increase or even the possibility of being dropped for coverage altogether. Vehicle insurance companies are in a huge state of flux and change right now due to the high cost of parts and repairs along with inflated used-car replacement prices. Some companies are no longer underwriting new policies for customers changing from one company to another in order to find a "better price". You may be "stuck" with insurer you have. Since I do not know the particulars of your situation, I will let you sort that out and assume you have already experienced and worked through some or all of these insurance scenarios.

I`ve been with State Farm for over 41 years and haven`t had an "at fault" accident since 2006. My insurance DID go up, but that was just because I`m insuring a higher level 2017 instead of a base 2013

ON the new-to-you 2017 Blue Camaro, CONGRATULATIONS! I am sure you will be missing the old black 2013, but this 2017 sounds and looks like a suitable "consolation" replacement. You are fortunate to have a wife who looks out for you vehicle-wise and does not mind (or at least puts up with or tolerates) your OCD detailing exploits and expenses!

"Puts Up With" is about right, LOL She is the one who `found` my black 2013, and she also found the new 2017, so as far as her grumbling about my OCD, she is supportive since the only "vice" I have is my car and detailing.

Keep us posted. Looking forward to your review and evaluations on the NXTGEN 365 Pro coating.

I have to take my son to an appointment, but the video is done and live. SO as soon as I get back, I`ll post the link in the forum

AND I had to figure out what the acronym TOGW meant by doing a search within this forum because it is not on the acronym decoder ring list. It means The Other Guy`s Wax. Well, now I know. Don`t you as an Obsessive-Compulsive Detailer (OCD`er) just "dislike" that when you see missed wax or sealants left behind and not wiped off on trim, panel gaps or rubber seals within those gaps, or insignia`s and decals (my personal pet peeve), and/or locks and handles attached to doors or trunks, or antennas or cell phone connection blocks on roofs. A re-purposed soft bristle tooth brush (or small boar`s hair brush, or BHB ) and Q-Tips and 3M`s 08984 General-Purpose Adhesive Cleaner or similar prep wax remover, along with a little judicious brushing with the tooth brush and probing-&-circular oscillation (AKA back-and-forth rolling) with Q-Tips are your best friends.
    Nowadays, everything I currently use, DOESN`T leave behind "dried concrete" in cracks/crevices or on trim. Leftover "Other Guy`s Wax" is just one of my MANY Pet Peeves when it comes to detailing and car-care in general. Lord knows I have more than one LOL.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Likes Lonnie liked this post

Thread Information