Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

How Much Do We Trust YouTube Stars?

We have a history on this forum of sniffing out hackers, shills, undeclared beta testers, etc.; who in the past have attempted to shape the opinions of forum members without fully revealing their incentives, monetary or otherwise, for providing "reviews" or opinions of products. I don`t want to go into everything, but this ranged from people who were purposefully trying to deceive us, to others who simply didn`t see their relationship as a beta tester as possibly biasing their views, or at least calling into question their impartiality.

From the beginning of the YouTube era, I have cautioned people about swallowing whole the reviews/opinions from there. It takes a long time, and equipment and software, to make a decent video, and while I`m sure for some people it`s an enjoyable hobby and they have no secondary or ulterior motives, reasonable people have to sometimes ask "what`s in it for them to do this?". In the past, when I have suggested that people make money from YouTube when they reach a critical mass of subscribers/views, I`ve been rebuffed and told that these people`s income from YouTube is so small as to in no way bias their opinions.

In conjunction with my Idrosave thread ( Idrosave ), I noticed that two prominent YouTubers (not that I really spend much time watching detailing videos, so I may be wrong that they are "prominent"), in their Idrosave reviews, offered discount codes specific to them. To me this says they are getting some sort of kickback from Labocosmetica, whether that is an actual monetary kickback in the form of free product or discounts on product, or if it`s simply a reputational kickback that they get to beta test or get product to test prior to it becoming available to the public, which likely translates into a monetary kickback if that increases viewership of their YouTube channel.

If Labocosmetica was simply using a discount to promote a new product, why wouldn`t it be in their email that some members got, or on their website? Why would each of these YouTubers have their own discount code corresponding to the initials of their channel? Obviously Labo wants to know who is doing a better job selling their products, or they both would be using the same discount code.

So what is everyone`s opinion on how much marketing we are ingesting by watching ostensibly "self-help" videos?
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Much Do We Trust YouTube Stars?

I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve watched detailing videos. I think I’m going to keep it that way because of it.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I should have mentioned the big stink when it turned out Pan the Organizer was being paid for some of his reviews.
    Likes PoisonTheWell, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cant stand that guy. He`s one of the main reasons I don`t watch videos.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Since my retiring 15 years ago, receive "offers" to promote products in return for money. Often am requested to take part in YouTube videos. Not going to happen, as a few know I was elected to the IDA Hall of Fame. If you have read my award, it`s not for products, it is for my sharing and teaching skills.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes 65chevy, Stokdgs, Older, wannafbody liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Older thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow, 15 years already, time flies, Ketch.

Post Thanks / Like

The schilling was bad here before, probably just as bad as YouTubers.

Most of the videos are as worthless as some of the product posts were here. Unless someone is comparing two products with some objective testing, it’s really just a commercial.

Post Thanks / Like

Forensic Detailing is usually one of my favorites when he does comparisons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonTheWell View Post
    Forensic Detailing is usually one of my favorites when he does comparisons.
    He does paid videos as well. I do still like his content.

Eddie Colon is new and low amount of views. To little to be paid and would kill his channel this early to start schilling.

That being said…. We’ll see soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If Labocosmetica was simply using a discount to promote a new product, why wouldn`t it be in their email that some members got, or on their website? Why would each of these YouTubers have their own discount code corresponding to the initials of their channel? Obviously Labo wants to know who is doing a better job selling their products, or they both would be using the same discount code.
    I think you answered your own question. Companies will issue individual own discount codes (or a unique landing page on a website) in order to build metrics on which outlets and relationships generate the most sales or views of their products. A friend from college now has two successful automotive YouTube channels and podcast with his business partner. For a while they had a TV show on Motor Trend`s TV channel. They openly spoke a couple times about how the sponsor discount codes were used judge the value of the business relationship between their media outlet and the sponsor. They also admitted to not getting sponsorship from businesses they wouldn`t use themselves, already used, or would be comfortable recommending to family.

I am naturally cynical and distrust most content providers regardless of platform. Probably not fair of me, but I do. I appreciate and prefer when people are honest about being given products to review or some other form of sponsorship. At least I know where they stand without guessing. I`ll admit, to not paying much attention to reviewers on other social media platform, but when I do I`ll watch a large number of them and compare techniques, results, etc and look for trends. I won`t go with any one source, no matter how much I may/may not like them.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

This is EXACTLY why I prefer to get my detailing product information from this forum and its members.
    Not that EVERYTHING is legit or above the table, but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is not.
    I do like threads about detailing products members bought because they heard they were good, only to be greatly disappointed with the end results.
    Maybe I am facetious and cheap, but I would rather learn from someone else`s bad experience than doing it on my own. Just sayin`..!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Labocosmetica is just as good as carpro IME. I`m sure its a very nice product.

If you want to try a new rinseless go for it...and i enjoy watching detailing videos in my spare time. Eddie seems alright - really funny at times - and he certainty has a lot of big giveaways that i have never seen before.

He`s after giving away a free mirka ffs - sponsored i believe by Armour detail supply(not sure)...but anyhow that`s besides the point. I think he`s giving away the new rupes polisher soon, it might of already happened..

Youtube is one of the only platforms that i can find that people are talking about detailing anymore. Facebook too. Never looked into reddit, i always found it a rather stranger site personally - but i did get a lot of very good information on reddit over the years. Not detailing related.

Side note: i seen a few posts by budgetplan on reddit about 4 or 5 years ago now i guess - time flies.
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Side note: i seen a few posts by budgetplan on reddit about 4 or 5 years ago now i guess - time flies.
    I found reddit 4 or so years ago, had no idea what it was but saw a few people link into my blog from there so checked it out. Actually supported the r/AutoDetailing group w occasional donations ‘cuz I liked their monthly reviews.

Like many ‘word focused’ places it seems to have waned as far as non-elementary discussions are concerned as time wore on; kinda mundane these days. r/Detailing is another I still follow but to be honest, not much in either of those groups that is newsworthy lately.

I do find non-detailing groups there interesting…still check in daily. Our 60” plasma TV popped last weekend and the r/4kTV group was informative on picking a replacement. For some reason the groups that deal w airlines are fun for behind-the-scenes anecdotes from employees How Much Do We Trust YouTube Stars?

Saw some metrics recently for effective Instagram promotion…apparently keeping things at around 15 seconds results in the most engagement…guess it’s the age of Short Attention Span Theatre.

Nothing can compare to the (for me) heyday of Autopia around 2018-2019…good, solid content from trustworthy, experienced folks w no egos & well-developed senses of humor. Learned a TON and had fun doing it!

I enjoy reading extensively about things I’m interested in but those avenues seem to be getting few and far between as time marches on. How Much Do We Trust YouTube Stars?

Edit: Detailing World seems to be one that still has good engagement & traffic so props to them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro no
    Likes Coatings=crack, noorth, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess the answer for me today is...not so much. I think Idrosave was over-hyped. Maybe the YouTubers just got caught up in new product fever...or maybe they just don`t want to cross their "sponsors". It just reminds me, as I noted in the first post, about the Zaino beta testers who used to post here, and they would staunchly advocate for Zaino, I guess because of their fear that if they said anything critical in public, Sal would drop them as beta testers, which had personal and professional importance to them. When DMS did his video on Saturday, and the dirt wouldn`t release from his MF towel, he went on and on how it was tar and soot and ash and no rinseless would release that from the towel. (if you go to the Idrosave thread linked in the first post you`ll see the first two "reviewers" both had dirt-release problems).
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it’s experience or maturity but new product hype is a huge turnoff for me. Especially when the product is functionally the same as a product I already have. The real game changers come maybe once a decade. Take a look at your process, what’s changed in the last 20 years? Coatings, maybe clay mitts/sponges.

Everything else has been around with incremental changes. The hype around polishers has been unreal, you’d think before last year you couldn’t polish paint. And everyone seems to ignore the fact that paint is crazy thin now.

If you are a pro, it absolutely makes sense to try new things as you run out of your favorites. But for the hobby detainers it’s a cycle of hope and regret in an attempt to fill some void. People spend all the time on the product search instead of enjoying the actual art of detailing. Sorry for the philosophical rant but it’s just a look back at all the time and money I’ve personally wasted on hype.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information